Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets - Swing and Longer Term Trades

157,073 Views | 930 Replies | Last: 13 hrs ago by Bob Knights Paper Hands
Bob Knights Paper Hands
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I am using today as a chance to get back into BA. Today I'm buying calls and if we push the 9ema above the 21ema this afternoon or tomorrow I will start to buy shares again. Here's my daily chart. Today was just going to push the 9ema up over the 21 before the dip happened.

For the calls I'm looking at ATM calls for September, slightly OTM ($180) calls for November, and and OTM calls for 2022. The Sept and Nov calls I'm hoping for either a quick bump and dump or to get lucky with Fed announcements or stimulus. The 2022 calls I will likely keep for a year, if not until expiration. I'm not willing to commit too much money until the 9ema crosses back over, but will risk a little to get lower premiums.

Here's the weekly chart.

There is a support line around 169 that isn't shown here and another around 157. The blue line approximates a 50-day ema. BA has been trading sideways since June and I believe has upside related to successful MAX tests as well as the rumors of the Fed announcement on Thursday. Once we get the get the 9ema above the 21ema I am hoping I can ride this back to the 240-260 range by next year.
Bob Knights Paper Hands
Since I previously posted about airline LEAPS, I felt like posting my thoughts here. I still have AAL, DAL, LUV, and UAL leaps. I had a few of the LUV leaps sell yesterday but didn't force any of them to. I have lowered some of the sell prices and if we have a good run up this afternoon or tomorrow I am likely to take some profits. Especially AAL, DAL, and UAL where I feel more uneasy. I still think there's significant potential in these if the stimulus goes through and if covid reports continue to be positive, but I will lower my risk and get rid of the contracts I purchased early this month.
Rice and Fries
I think it depends on which way it breaks out of the triangle.
Johnny Danger
AG
I have 4 mutual funds, VUG, SCHD and about 10 individual stocks. Want to diversify further into real estate. In y'all's opinion, is VNQ at a good entry point, as I know it has significant data center and cell tower reit exposure?
59 South
AG
Entered CWH this morning at $29.66 with a new and big long term position in my retirement account. Used most of my cash I had sitting idle mostly from taking profits in JD (sold 60% at 68... woof, never expected it to just rage to 80!)
If this post is on the B&I forum, lighten up it's just money!

Disclaimer: I'm not that smart.
gougler08
AG
Also in CWH on the retirement account
fig96
AG
TSLA is officially a 10 bagger for me, just in time for the split.
Bob Knights Paper Hands
I don't know anything about VNQ, but your description of it sounds like it might be an interesting opportunity. It seems a lot of the REITs focusing on industrial assets were beaten down with the commercial and residential REITs during covid. So there could still be some buying opportunities if you find ones with the right assets, with good management, and that aren't leveraged to death in case there's a blip.
khaos288
AG
Bob Knights Liver said:

I don't know anything about VNQ, but your description of it sounds like it might be an interesting opportunity. It seems a lot of the REITs focusing on industrial assets were beaten down with the commercial and residential REITs during covid. So there could still be some buying opportunities if you find ones with the right assets, with good management, and that aren't leveraged to death in case there's a blip.
The only reason I'm staying away from VNQ is the uncertainty in real estate overall. Even if there is just a wave of residential foreclosures, VNQs of the world will get hit hard.

I had a large position before COVID, but I'm staying away for the time being. More money to be made elsewhere.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
khaos288 said:

Bob Knights Liver said:

The only reason I'm staying away from VNQ is the uncertainty in real estate overall. Even if there is just a wave of residential foreclosures, VNQs of the world will get hit hard.

I had a large position before COVID, but I'm staying away for the time being. More money to be made elsewhere.

I agree with this. I've been laying off anything real estate related. I just think there is potential for serious pain in the next year on these.
TxAG#2011
TxAG#2011 said:

Came across an interesting fractal yesterday

Coming back to this chart, we have broken up through into the next channel. I am probably targeting SPY360 as an area of larger pullback
frankm01
gougler08 said:

59 and gougler, CWH had a nice pop today but had been a dog since earnings. I'm still in a small position as well but am on the fence to bail after my CCs expire. What are you seeing in the chart or fundamentals that are making you stay in?

TIA

59 South
AG
frankm01 said:

gougler08 said:

59 and gougler, CWH had a nice pop today but had been a dog since earnings. I'm still in a small position as well but am on the fence to bail after my CCs expire. What are you seeing in the chart or fundamentals that are making you stay in?

TIA

Marc Cohodes and Hidden Pivots on Twitter. They are RARELY wrong. They are both sold on the fundamentals. The CEO Marcus Lemonis is also a proven winner who is buying stock non stop still after the run up. He claims to have 96% of his net worth in the stock. I learned a while back to trust people who are proven to be exponentially wiser and more experienced than me. My list is short...Cohodes and HP plus Redler and OA. Find these folks and use their knowledge.

And another thing is that it is still under a $3B company. Tons of room to grow exponentially. Rumor is they are going to roll out an AirBnB type model with their products. Game changer. They're also extremely undervalued vs their Q2 earnings. The street is basically assuming that was a covid blip, or more likely they're selling that narrative to get better prices.

This is a long term play for me in retirement account. It's also diversification away from my other holdings. If I lose 50%+, I'm ok with my risk/reward profile. I have 10+ years to wait on this.

For the technicals, it was way oversold after earnings. Reeks of big money raiding retail to load up. This week looked like at least a short/medium term reversal. If it fails and goes down to 25, even 20, I won't sweat it and may buy more in my brokerage account.

angryocotillo
AG
What are your plans with it after the split?

I have some and an considering selling all of it or most of it after the split, but I've got no idea what I'm doing.
frankm01
59, good info. Thanks for the detail!
RightWingConspirator
AG
I'd be curious to hear some of you Technical Analysis guys opine on WEX. It's been trading sideways now for the better part of a month and volumes look to be drying up some. Ready to breakout? About to tank?

I'm holding WEX long with an entry price of $172.24/share. I'm down about 5 percent right now. Considering whether to add to my position and I'd be curious to hear opinions.

59 South
AG
Posted on the stock market thread so figured I'd put here too... Since this stuff is way more interesting that my real job... here's the CWH daily chart. I get asked a lot about knowing when to buy (which is way easier than knowing when to sell). I just make it really simple and when several indicators line up, I just do it and don't over think it. Especially something like CWH that is meant to be a very long term hold. Heck, most of my biggest winners I still own and have never sold so why worry about when to sell?

Post removed:
by user
59 South
AG
third coast.. said:

So you will be buying if the volume increases in the next couple of days?
If I was more actively trading this, I'd be buying more if we get a volume heavy breakout of 34-35. But since this was a long hold, I went heavy under 30 when I suspected a reversal. So I probably won't since I'm in other stuff in my trading account. It's also not as important because the big red volumes from a few days ago that is now going down means that it's run out of heavy sellers. Things can often move up on reversals with lower volume. Real big breakouts usually need bigger volume to make them more certain. Sorry if this is confusing but rising volume in this case is a distant secondary indicator... think of it as a nice to have to make us more sure.

Post removed:
by user
59 South
AG
third coast.. said:

Ok roger that. So for a long term hold what are you looking for this stock to do? And what does long term mean to you? Long for tax purposes or for retirement purposes? Thanks for talking it out with me.
No probs. It's in retirement account for me. I'm thinking years here, maybe 10+. It's got 10+ bagger potential imo.

Post removed:
by user
fig96
AG
angryocotillo said:

What are your plans with it after the split?

I have some and an considering selling all of it or most of it after the split, but I've got no idea what I'm doing.
Right now planning to just hold on for the ride, at least for a bit. My initial investment was (unfortunately) pretty minimal so this all feels like house money at this point, it's also in an IRA so I won't see it for years.

I'm intrigued to see what happens post-split, if it makes some more big gains then I may look at selling off some and shifting into some other equities just to balance out the weighting of my portfolio a bit.
Jet Black
Are you still big on JD?
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
RightWingConspirator said:

Thanks. We're all responsible adults here - presumably. If I lose my shirt on any equity I purchase based off of a recommendation from someone else, I have nobody to blame but me.

Perusing their website, it looks like the biggest difference is the product is not in a water solution, nor does it have to be refrigerated. I'm trying to determine whether I'd pay for something like this. I can definitely think of circumstances where this would be helpful, but it would be attractive if it is also cheaper than glucagon.

It's been years since I last bought glucagon, but I want to say it ran the insurance some $700 for three?? It was expensive. The other thing I do not like about glucagon is when I have to take it, it gets me nauseas as all get out. It's to the point where if my wife has to help me in a low blood sugar event (so low I cannot help myself), she knows to try everything before reaching for the glucagon. I hate that stuff.

RWC...did you get in on XERS? Don't wana jinx it but......
RightWingConspirator
AG
No, unfortunately, I did not. Looks like it is a good one. Hopefully you make out like a bandit. I have the board to thank for AMD - I'm up 65 percent on that one and SQ - I'm up about 22 percent on that one.

I missed out on XERS and wish I missed out on GOCO.
"But it is easier to purchase products that denote superiority than to be actually superior in economic achievement." - Thomas J. Stanley
Michael Cera Palin
AG
Great start to the week for AMD. I can see my doubling action on the horizon and am getting excited, I'm new to this so it's a big deal for me.

Also threw an insignificant amount of money at PENN just for fun. Gonna see where Portnoy and the Stoolies can take me.
Bob Knights Paper Hands
I bought AMD90 calls last week for a few expiry dates. The remaining ones I have sell prices on related to a $99 stock price. I hope it gets there!

LEAPS for CWH and WMT doing well, WDC not so well. Im also holding calls for BA hoping for good guidance at earning based on MAX approvals and airlines streamlining fleets. We'll see how those work out.
RightWingConspirator
AG
How many still holding CROWD? I was in the red on that one for at least a few months and then it blew up. Glad I hung on.
"But it is easier to purchase products that denote superiority than to be actually superior in economic achievement." - Thomas J. Stanley
Gordon McKernan
TTT
59 South
AG
Hey thanks for TTT... I keep forgetting to do that or post here.

So how we all feeling about CWH now? I think it may run up to 38 or so before a new uptrend pull back. That would also set up an inverse H&S for you technical guys. I think it has a good chance for 50+ in the next 6-12 months.

59 South
AG
Jet Black said:

Are you still big on JD?
I'm still holding a chunk for the long term. I really haven't been following it all that much. I check in on it and have been surprised at how well it has traded and how high it went (86+). It will probably trade a little sideways since it's been on a bender for a year now but who really knows.

Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
RDHL ($9.98 as of posting) is another income producing BIO I've gone in on long term. I'm no longer doing completely speculative bios (only holding what I had). The price on this has really skyrocketed last few days but there might be room for more.

XERS up over $5 now for anyone tracking that one. I still think that one might have some room up as well.
frankm01

Still bullish on AMD long? Seems to be struggling since hitting $94.

Thanks.
59 South
AG
Yea I am. Haven't sold a share yet. I think it's fine medium-long term. Never know shorter term.

It just got caught up in this sell off and has sold off hard because it's moved so much.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.