Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Stock Markets - Swing and Longer Term Trades

156,970 Views | 930 Replies | Last: 10 hrs ago by Bob Knights Paper Hands
RogueAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thoughts on the ARK funds after the beating over the last several days? Specifically ARKK and ARKW?

I'm in both.... have been for a few months.... Curious if anyone's long term outlook on these have changed given interest rates, bitcoin/TSLA exposure... etc.
Diggity
AG
I'm looking at their Houston properties and it looks like Class B office in lower performing submarkets.

I would want to know they have better stuff in their other markets before investing, because Houston looks to account for about 10% of their portfolio and it's nothing I would be excited to own, even at that low cost basis.

Half their office space is in Colorado & Texas so very O&G vulnerable.

From the 10K, I also noticed that 25% of their leases expire this year and next. Not sure how typical that is, but seems to be poor timing as most companies are considering taking less space in the future.

fig96
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Absolutely. Increased positions on DIS and LUV today.

Sure, it's gonna be a bit longer term, but these purchases are going to look great in 2021.
LUV +91%, DIS +77% as of today.
I'm up almost 2x on my initial DIS investment.

Also already up over 40% on LMND in just a few months.
cageybee77
AG
Dang, it hurt sitting on the sideline today.
flyingaggie12
AG
If it hits ~$6.75/share I'm out. I agree with your rational. I do think that companies are moving to these markets from the coastal markets but yes the properties in Houston are in the energy corridor. This isn't so much a long term hold more of undervalued with a lot of insider/institutional activity. Once the valuation is priced in I'm out.
Diggity
AG
Good luck my friend. I had a smaller REIT called Whitestone that did great for me, until Covid.
bbqAg09
AG
CRE broker in Dallas since '09. Currently representing a client in one of $FSP's buildings and have done a lot with them over that period. Their reputation in the market is fine and like most reits they will get very aggressive to maintain occupancy above 85-90%. I can tell you they are currently dropping their drawers to try and keep my client which I expect to work. In short, I do a ton of work in Dallas and quite a bit with one client that has several dozen locations in the Houston area. I'm not touching FSP or any other reit unless it's so cheap it's worth a very small gamble. Subleases have flooded the market and I'm still getting calls weekly about another client needing to put space on the market. Most clients discussing longer term plans have decided they're going to downsize by 30-50% at the end of their lease expirations due to the success and overall employee preference to work from home either full time of part time.

All the brokers I talk to that aren't BS sunshine pumpers agree the next few years are going to be a tenant's market except for the marquee assets in the best locations where companies are willing to pay up for the perception.

Perhaps now is the perfect time to get in $FSP but I would start very small. For the first time since I got in the business, I'm so glad I don't own any office buildings.
cageybee77
AG
This could be a fun ride (or not) $HLLPF
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Today has been pretty rough. Anybody scooping up certain stocks after these drops?
cageybee77
AG
Dup
59 South
AG
3 stocks I don't own that I'd like to:

PLTR
OSTK
VRM
sts7049
AG
i bought a few more may $24 calls on PLTR yesterday to add to the 26s i bought the other day. a moon shot would be awesome
cageybee77
AG
My list includes

VST < maybe not so much now (pot $1B hit)
HPQ
TGNA
AGM
ORCL
PSXP

And a few more exciting/risky

HLLPF
Yj (eek)
NIO (double eeek)
Hendrix
AG
Went deep on PLTR at 22.8 this morning. That's tops me off. I'm now a little heavy PLTR. See what it looks like in a year.
cageybee77
AG
Geez - I hope this is crap:

Stretched Valuations

In terms of non-GAAP forward price/earnings, PLTR is currently trading at 167.78x, significantly higher than the industry average 26.76x. In terms of forward enterprise value/sales also, the stock's 30.38x is 592% higher than the industry average 4.39x. The stock's forward price/sales of 31.45x is also higher than the industry average 4.22x.

Wall Street analysts expect the stock to hit $14 in the near term, which represents a potential decline of nearly 47%.

From
https://www.barchart.com/story/stocks/quotes/PLTR/overview/1218584/should-you-buy-the-dip-in-palantir
DrSocrates
my bad see next post
DrSocrates
cageybee77 said:

Ok, sorry for the really newb question, but when I look for $LK on Barchart.com it doesn't exist. So, the $ must have some meaning that I haven't learned yet - googling says it's like a hashtag- but that doesn't help me find the company you're referring to. So what are you referring to? Thanks.

correct me if I'm wrong but I believe they are referencing Lufkin Coffee now traded OTC ($LKNCY) for cooking the books.

https://www.sec.gov/litigation/litreleases/2020/lr24987.htm
irish pete ag06
AG
Wrong thread
Johnny Danger
AG
cageybee77 said:

Anybody here have a portfolio built on dividend income? If so, have any advice you're willing to share?

I dollar cost average into SCHD, it's a Schwab dividend etf yielding north of 3%. There's plenty of info available on the web. I've been happy with it.
cageybee77
AG
Thanks - I'll look into it right now!

Edit - oh! That one is on "my list" already, but good to know it works!
cageybee77
AG
Finally "in"

NRG @ 37.87
FITB @ 35.00
And (gulp)
HLLPF @1.55

I'll likely do a little AMRS if it ever finds a floor

SW AG80
AG
I grew up in a small west Texas oil town. So I, like many Texans, am overly invested in O&G stocks. This uptick in energy stocks will run through the opening of our country I believe. So in the next few months I will have an opportunity to exit some of my O&G stocks.

Had breakfast with a guy this morning who is 10 years older than I. This guy was in the oil biz his entire life and still has connections. He thinks in the next few years Chevron will be THE oil giant as they will merge with Exxon and, I think he said, Conoco will also be gobbled up. So I will probably stick with Chevron as my only oil company stock going into the future. I own EPD in my SEP/IRA and they pay such a great dividend I may keep some of that stock even though I will get rid of some as it is my largest holding.
cageybee77
AG
I picked up SCHD at a good price (for the day). More to come. But I'll wait for another down-turn.
Wife is an Aggie
Looking for any feedback on my "play money" account.... I opened this account when i was WFH and had more time to keep an eye with the intent of doing more research/learning & maybe trying to trade but it has really turned into a buy & hold as after all I just don't have time throughout the day/week to pay as close attention as I thought I would. Been sitting on most of these for a while but all less than a year at this point:

Stock - % of portfolio - total gain/loss

AAPL - 11% of account - Up 11%
CLOV - 4% of account - down 37%
CVX - 4% of account - Up 47%
CWH - 23% of account - Up 33%
MBIO - 1.5% of account - Up 9%
ROKU - 16% of account - Up 100%
VTI - 18% of account - Up 26%
WFC - 2% of account - Up 53%

Remainder of account sitting in cash but haven't had time to research/decide where i want to put it.

Again this is more of account to park extra cash as prior to last April all of my investments had been in 401K, ROTH, HSA, & kids 529 accounts.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Wife is an Aggie said:

Looking for any feedback on my "play money" account.... I opened this account when i was WFH and had more time to keep an eye with the intent of doing more research/learning & maybe trying to trade but it has really turned into a buy & hold as after all I just don't have time throughout the day/week to pay as close attention as I thought I would. Been sitting on most of these for a while but all less than a year at this point:

Stock - % of portfolio - total gain/loss

AAPL - 11% of account - Up 11%
CLOV - 4% of account - down 37%
CVX - 4% of account - Up 47%
CWH - 23% of account - Up 33%
MBIO - 1.5% of account - Up 9%
ROKU - 16% of account - Up 100%
VTI - 18% of account - Up 26%
WFC - 2% of account - Up 53%

Remainder of account sitting in cash but haven't had time to research/decide where i want to put it.

Again this is more of account to park extra cash as prior to last April all of my investments had been in 401K, ROTH, HSA, & kids 529 accounts.

I've been putting money into some mass accumulation stocks over on the main thread lately. My goal is to go net free on them, then put the initial investment back into my more long term accounts, like Southwest or Roku. Been a winner with WARM, getting close with a few others.
Bob Knights Paper Hands
I've been looking for companies or sectors where prices are still quite a bit below the pre covid prices, but that I believe should recover as things open up. Airlines have been the most obvious answer. The next companies I was looking at were REITs. I'd avoid commercial, because we might have seen a paradigm shift, but I'm strongly considering getting into residential and industrial REITs. I like the idea of dividends plus price upside. Is anyone in these and if so which ones?

The next group I'll look through is grocery stores, if there are any of those whose prices suffered during covid.
bmks270
AG
Tomas Hermensa said:

I've been looking for companies or sectors where prices are still quite a bit below the pre covid prices, but that I believe should recover as things open up. Airlines have been the most obvious answer. The next companies I was looking at were REITs. I'd avoid commercial, because we might have seen a paradigm shift, but I'm strongly considering getting into residential and industrial REITs. I like the idea of dividends plus price upside. Is anyone in these and if so which ones?

The next group I'll look through is grocery stores, if there are any of those whose prices suffered during covid.

Utility sector, check the sector ETFs like VPU. Slowly recovering, but may have more head winds and less upside than consumer products or things dependent on consumer spending.
jsdaltxag
I've added alot of PLTR over the last few weeks.

Also looking at moving some money into DSCA.
bmks270
AG
Utility sector VPU getting pretty close to its previous pre-covid all time high.
YouBet
AG
Man, after holding it for 20 years I'm damn glad I sold half my PLUG in January. It's sitting at $27.24 and I sold half at $67.60 on Jan 28. That 10k deal hit just after that and it hasn't recovered.

Lucked out there.
Johnny Danger
AG
Anyone accumulating $pins? I'm down 4.31% on avg cost of $76.31. Took a beating this week and thinking of adding more.
Quailmeezy
AG
I have some friends who are very bullish on $APPS and I have acquired a decent amount. Curious if anyone else is into it.
kyle field 94
AG
RiverAg 80 said:

I grew up in a small west Texas oil town. So I, like many Texans, am overly invested in O&G stocks. This uptick in energy stocks will run through the opening of our country I believe. So in the next few months I will have an opportunity to exit some of my O&G stocks.

Had breakfast with a guy this morning who is 10 years older than I. This guy was in the oil biz his entire life and still has connections. He thinks in the next few years Chevron will be THE oil giant as they will merge with Exxon and, I think he said, Conoco will also be gobbled up. So I will probably stick with Chevron as my only oil company stock going into the future. I own EPD in my SEP/IRA and they pay such a great dividend I may keep some of that stock even though I will get rid of some as it is my largest holding.

You have to be careful about owning mlps in your retirement accounts because of ubti. Where do you have your ira located (ie fidelity etc) as I am surprised that they have not sent you a bill for taxes paid on your behalf due to mlps

I made this mistake one time and learned the hard way. Luckily it was not too much as I was just starting a mlp position in my Ira. Unfortunately mlps need to be in taxable accounts due to the fact that they don't pay taxes and their "dividends" are actually returns of capital that reduce your cost basis over time.
bmks270
AG
Anyone got some ideas or their eyes on potential for long term out performers?

Would love to see some themed ETF recommendations (aside from Ark).
ClutchCityAg
Friend in financial sector turned me on to AIV as long term buy and hold. Was trading at $40/share before getting crushed on Q4 earnings in 2020. Now at $6-7/share with positive momentum.
Let it ride

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.