Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Buying physical gold/silver

319,937 Views | 2158 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by Red Pear Realty
Red Pear Realty
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sponsor
AG
TTUArmy said:

Red Pear Realty said:

Silver hit $32 and gold $2,360.

Shanghai market has silver at almost $36 p/troy oz. Pretty wild.

Up, Up, and Away.
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
Red Pear Realty said:

TTUArmy said:

Red Pear Realty said:

Silver hit $32 and gold $2,360.

Shanghai market has silver at almost $36 p/troy oz. Pretty wild.

Up, Up, and Away.

I'm not saying China is imminently going to invade Taiwan but…. It's possible we look back at this precious metals rally and it wouldn't be hard to put 2&2 together as one of the more obvious signs.
jagvocate
AG
A New ShangHIGH

Bird Poo
AG
Where is SLV going to go? If it hits 40 I may implement a rolling stop, but I've never implemented that before.
Heineken-Ashi
Bird Poo said:

Where is SLV going to go? If it hits 40 I may implement a rolling stop, but I've never implemented that before.
$40-$50 I feel confident about. Whether that is or not is hard to tell this early. But if it holds support after that, $75 isn't out of the question into the late 2020's.
“Give it hell Heinekandle, I’m enjoying it.”
- Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX

“No secure borders, no alpha military, no energy independence, no leadership and most of all no mean tweets - this is the worst trade I’ve ever witnessed in my lifetime. ***Put that quote in your quote/signature section HeinendKandle*** LOL!”
- also Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX (obviously in a worse mood)
techno-ag
AG
With Bidenflation, who knows?
TTUArmy
APMEX has random year BU ASE's at spot today - no premium. If you want to pick up a tube or two or three, that's a pretty sweet deal.

LINK
TTUArmy
TTUArmy said:

APMEX has random year BU ASE's at spot today - no premium. If you want to pick up a tube or two or three, that's a pretty sweet deal.

LINK
Well crap...tried putting a tube of 20 in the cart and it balked on check out. Tried putting a single in the cart and it balked at me again.

Have to call them later...

Nevermind...it looks like the premium is back to normal.

Charismatic Megafauna
AG
BonfireNerd04 said:

BTW, palladium and platinum are cheap (compared to gold) right now.

Yall have a preferred way to buy physical platinum? Maple Leaf? Bars? American Platinum Eagles (APE... might need one just cuz....)
Churlish Sambino
AG
In the description it says "Available only for new APP customers. Limit 2 per customer"

I think you have to use their app for the first time.
TTUArmy
Churlish Sambino said:

In the description it says "Available only for new APP customers. Limit 2 per customer"

I think you have to use their app for the first time.

You're absolutely right. I was on my computer and still working through the 2nd cup of coffee. Doh...
jagvocate
AG
UBS raises $silver price target to $36

https://www.investing.com/news/stock-market-news/ubs-raises-silver-prices-forecast-heres-the-new-target-3458279

jagvocate
AG
Silver priced without "Mr. Slammy" aka "market stabilization ops"

Brewmaster
AG
TTUArmy
Finished filling up a tube of very nice silver Krugs on the dip today.
jagvocate
AG
Bringing it back to physical … 1oz Scottsdale Mint "Cowboy" Rounds arrived today

TTUArmy
jagvocate said:

Bringing it back to physical … 1oz Scottsdale Mint "Cowboy" Rounds arrived today

I don't have any Scottsdale silver but it sure is pretty.
TTUArmy
Morning!

Gold = $2344.20
Silver = $30.70

Let's see what they do this week.
jagvocate
AG
Don't forget to buy dips

Marauder Blue 6
AG
Anyone have opinions on PHYS?

https://www.morningstar.com/cefs/arcx/phys/quote
MRB10
AG
I have it in all of my retirement accounts. I buy physical with after tax money but it's the best least good option for tax protected accounts, in my opinion.
Marauder Blue 6
AG
Pepper Brooks said:

I have it in all of my retirement accounts. I buy physical with after tax money but it's the best least good option for tax protected accounts, in my opinion.
I'm not sure I follow. Can you expand a little on this thought?
Jabin
It is the only gold CEF of which I am aware that allows you to actually trade your units in the CEF for actual physical gold. Of course, you have to go to their offices to do so.

I have a friend who used to run a small hedge fund and spent a whole lot of time digging into the gold CEFs. He concluded that PHYS is the only one that actually has all the gold it claims to have. The rest of them only have fractional gold and the worst of those may be GLD. I can't remember the exact number, but he concluded that GLD only has some tiny fraction of physical gold represented by its shares or units. It has never allowed any third party to audit its actual physical holdings. I have no idea if he is right or not, but he is a really smart guy and I see no reason to invest in any gold CEF other than PHYS.
MRB10
AG
More or less what Jabin said. PHYS seems to be the most transparent as far as third party audits go but it's still hard to know if they actually have all of the gold they claim to have.
jagvocate
AG
GLD and SLV were created to provide liquidity to the bullion banks, who love to short precious metals. Many experts believe that the holdings of GLD and SLV have actually been pledged to different banks many times over. Even the thought of that being a possibility has kept me away from them.

TTUArmy
Both silver and gold are getting a little beat up this morning. Need silver to hang on to $30 going into the weekend.
Bocephus
AG
TTUArmy said:

Both silver and gold are getting a little beat up this morning. Need silver to hang on to $30 going into the weekend.

unless you're selling, why does it matter?
TAMU ‘98 Ole Miss ‘21
TTUArmy
Bocephus said:

TTUArmy said:

Well, it would be nice to place some floors of resistance on this stuff. I don't mind pullbacks. I mind the whiplash commonly associated with metals prices and manipulation. Mostly, it gives the local coin shops a bit of a breather when I decide to sell. The spreads get a bit annoying when it bounces from high to low to high again.
I bleed maroon
AG
Bocephus said:

TTUArmy said:

It always matters. You're implicitly or explicitly making a decision every day whether to buy, sell, or hold.
jagvocate
AG
"making a decision every day"

I must be horrible at this. I started buying silver at $8/oz and have never sold. I'll trade it someday for real estate or gold but I pray I never have to sell it for dirty fiat currency

Bocephus
AG
jagvocate said:

"making a decision every day"

I must be horrible at this. I started buying silver at $8/oz and have never sold. I'll trade it someday for real estate or gold but I pray I never have to sell it for dirty fiat currency

Mine is a hedge against the collapse of civilization. I do not plan on selling either
TAMU ‘98 Ole Miss ‘21
I bleed maroon
AG
jagvocate said:

"making a decision every day". YEP.

I must be horrible at this. WHO'S TO SAY? - IT'S YOUR OWN DECISION. I started buying silver THAT'S A BUY! at $8/oz and have never sold. AHEM - THAT'S CALLED A DECISION TO HOLD. I'll trade it someday for real estate or gold but I pray I never have to sell it for dirty fiat currency AND THAT'S CALLED A SELL.
So we're in complete agreement, right?
notex
AG
A perspective on gold/silver in a down market some might enjoy:

https://www.elliottwavetrader.net/p/analysis/Gold-Is-So-Misunderstood-202406079113393.html
TTUArmy
notex said:

https://www.elliottwavetrader.net/p/analysis/Gold-Is-So-Misunderstood-202406079113393.html

Always nice to consider a different perspective. I'm positive that most here are smart enough to understand Elliot Wave mechanics. Elliot is fine for TA. And most are aware of the past and present history of gold and silver.

Personally, physical gold and silver purchases are a small allocation of my portfolio. It helps me sleep at night. If I never have to use it, at least I've educated a son and daughter on precious metals. They can hold, sell, or pass it on to grandchildren.
TTUArmy
notex said:

Also...just curious. How long do you think we can limp this economy along given this Keyensian experiment, geopolitics, tariffs, precious metals moving west to east, bond markets, banking issues, etc?

The winds of change are blowing. I don't have a lot of confidence that the dollar will be the reserve currency much longer. I believe a lot of people will be caught with their pants down when it crumbles. Of course, we'll all be in good company when it does.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.