Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Buying physical gold/silver

320,141 Views | 2158 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by Red Pear Realty
ChiefKiefton
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Rendered Fat said:

Thanks man, one final question then I'll stop embarrassing myself and leave you guys alone. I paid $5,036.30 for the five Germania Mint kilo bars and $7,848 for the 200 Silver Eagles. I read your post above that says silver just crashed, so am I screwed? Did I get screwed?

That's under 40 an Eagle. Not terrible for today's market. Under 1000 for a kilo isn't bad either. Don't worry about the spot price. All of us silver junkies will tell you it's only a matter of time until it blows up. If the price dips buy more!
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
Esteban du Plantier
AG
You could buy some pslv. You won't physically hold it, but you'll own it cheaper.

Don't worry so much about spot. That's banks shorting tons and tons of silver to manipulate price. Look at premiums now vs a couple years ago. You can't buy physical silver for less than 31 or so an ounce, that's a more accurate price.

But I'm not really doing anything except stacking until the price is double that.

Look at the insane demand for silver, it's comical that the spot is going down while everyone is sold out. Makes no sense other than manipulation.
AgEng06
AG
historyrepeats said:

Thought I'd share this link with y'all. It's for the r/wallstreetsilver community but it has good pricing. They change up what's on there often.

https://silvergoldbull.com/ape
Thanks for this. Just bought some more Sunshine rounds. Those prices are good.
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
Esteban du Plantier said:

You could buy some pslv. You won't physically hold it, but you'll own it cheaper.

Don't worry so much about spot. That's banks shorting tons and tons of silver to manipulate price. Look at premiums now vs a couple years ago. You can't buy physical silver for less than 31 or so an ounce, that's a more accurate price.

But I'm not really doing anything except stacking until the price is double that.

Look at the insane demand for silver, it's comical that the spot is going down while everyone is sold out. Makes no sense other than manipulation.

So my current silver investment will make me a millionaire??
Jabin
The argument for silver is that the central banks and their allies in the large banks cannot keep manipulating the price of silver forever. That argument has been made constantly during the last 5 decades at least. So far, they seem to be quite able to keep manipulating the price.

Same point re gold, as well.

I'm not saying not to buy it, but there's an awfully good chance that you're not going to get rich off it.
Outdoorag011
I don't stack precious metals to get rich. Precious metals are wealth in of itself. I don't need a fiat currency to tell me it's worth something. I'm not disagreeing with you. I tell people when you buy precious metals to play the long game. I plan on holding onto my stack for 40-60 years. I'm almost 100% sure the banks can't manipulate it for that long. Even if they can manipulate it down for another decade I don't care. I'm in for the long haul. I would rather be 10 years to early then 1 day to late. Just my two cents.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
Jabin said:

The argument for silver is that the central banks and their allies in the large banks cannot keep manipulating the price of silver forever. That argument has been made constantly during the last 5 decades at least. So far, they seem to be quite able to keep manipulating the price.

Same point re gold, as well.

I'm not saying not to buy it, but there's an awfully good chance that you're not going to get rich off it.

I'm not choosing silver vs investments, I'm choosing silver vs cash savings. My goal is to maintain buying power with my savings, rather than watch it inflate away.

If the physical buyers eventually demand so much delivery that the price rockets, then great. But my main goal is hedging inflation.
ChiefKiefton
Outdoorag011 said:

I don't stack precious metals to get rich. Precious metals are wealth in of itself. I don't need a fiat currency to tell me it's worth something. I'm not disagreeing with you. I tell people when you buy precious metals to play the long game. I plan on holding onto my stack for 40-60 years. I'm almost 100% sure the banks can't manipulate it for that long. Even if they can manipulate it down for another decade I don't care. I'm in for the long haul. I would rather be 10 years to early then 1 day to late. Just my two cents.
Post removed:
by user
Esteban du Plantier
AG
FAT SEXY said:

Have any of yall ever ordered from BOLD Precious Metals?

They have some decent deals on Silver Kangaroos and Britannias right now.. Only have to order $99 worth to get free shipping.

Thinking about giving them a shot today.

I order from Bold, but usually higher premium, collector stuff. I usually find commodity bullion cheaper at Monument, SGB, etc.

Bold is in Austin, but not sure if they have a retail floor.
ChiefKiefton
FAT SEXY said:

They have some decent deals on Silver Kangaroos and Britannias right now.. Only have to order $99 worth to get free shipping.

Only issue I have with them is they label their return address as "Bold PM". Not a big fan of that as someone could possibly put two and two together. They are located in Austin so I generally get my coins in a couple days though. Only Apmex has faster shipping in my opinion.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
ChiefKiefton said:

FAT SEXY said:

Only issue I have with them is they label their return address as "Bold PM". Not a big fan of that as someone could possibly put two and two together. They are located in Austin so I generally get my coins in a couple days though. Only Apmex has faster shipping in my opinion.

How do you pay? I use the echeck and it takes forever to ship, and I'm a hundred miles from their office.

But yeah, they need more discrete packaging.
ChiefKiefton
Esteban du Plantier said:

ChiefKiefton said:

FAT SEXY said:

How do you pay? I use the echeck and it takes forever to ship, and I'm a hundred miles from their office.

But yeah, they need more discrete packaging.
I use CC normally. Not a fan of the wait involved with an echeck.
ChiefKiefton
FAT SEXY said:

Monument has Buffs for below $30 as I type this.

Gonna give Bold a shot today as I actually don't have any Silver Kangaroos yet.
Kangaroos are my go to if Eagle/Maple premiums are too high. The new Brittania's are amazing as well.
Post removed:
by user
mwp02ag
AG

I found Palisades Gold Radio recently, here is a great one from yesterday with some technical analysis of charts.
Post removed:
by user
mwp02ag
AG
Yep we've been adding to our silver, just got a nice assortment of 2021 Britannias, Kangaroos, Kugerands, Maple Leafs and two different Texas Silver Rounds.
Txhuntr
AG
Bought 600 oz of silver last week when spot dropped below $26. I doubt I'll be able to buy that cheap again anytime soon.
Post removed:
by user
maddiedou
AG
FAT SEXY said:

I don't know how any serious investor could look around at what is going on in the world and then glance at this data and the overall history of Gold and not want to at least dabble in the purchasing of it.

Chart Source

Because if you had bought one ounce of gold in 1981 it would have taken 40 years to quadruple your money

Could you not have bought amazon or any other stock and made 10 times plus in 40 years or 30 years instead of what it took in 40 to make 4

I want to clarify and I do not care what you do if you choose to buy gold or silver and I am a big coin buyer not a silver buyer. I like buying coins and grading and just learning and looking and US coins

But this idea that you are gonna buy 15,000 dollars of silver or silver eagles will not make a guy rich and silver eagles are not a round I would buy on the notion it will make you money unless you send in and get graded and they grade a ms70. Which will cost a 25-40 a coin

And to all I hope yall are right because if silver gets up to 50 i am selling everything it has only been that price once i believe Well not everything not my graded coins although even some of my graded ms65 morgans are stull only worth 45 dollars

maddiedou
Post removed:
by user
maddiedou
AG
It was not a slap I promise i dont really care and i think everybody should own gold/silver/ammo and I knew the response I was gonna get when posting

I guess my response come more from people who are selling their grandfathers coins and think they are sitting on a gold mine

Had you bought a 1888 morgan in 1973 for 6.00 a g4. Today it is only worth 22.00 dollars that same coin

Same with silver eagle it is a good coin because they also have a small value but silver eagles are still only worth 25.00 a eagle and I do not buy them Now My prices are from books so individual buys may be higher
maddiedou
Post removed:
by user
Txhuntr
AG
maddiedou said:

FAT SEXY said:

I don't know how any serious investor could look around at what is going on in the world and then glance at this data and the overall history of Gold and not want to at least dabble in the purchasing of it.

Chart Source

Because if you had bought one ounce of gold in 1981 it would have taken 40 years to quadruple your money

Could you not have bought amazon or any other stock and made 10 times plus in 40 years or 30 years instead of what it took in 40 to make 4

I want to clarify and I do not care what you do if you choose to buy gold or silver and I am a big coin buyer not a silver buyer. I like buying coins and grading and just learning and looking and US coins

But this idea that you are gonna buy 15,000 dollars of silver or silver eagles will not make a guy rich and silver eagles are not a round I would buy on the notion it will make you money unless you send in and get graded and they grade a ms70. Which will cost a 25-40 a coin

There are currently plenty of signs pointing to a change of market cycles. I'm not definitively saying it will happen, but I moved 15% of my portfolio into PM's at this point to get a healthy start near the ground floor, and am ready to add more if it becomes more evident Wall Street is trending towards a bear market.

We can't be in a bull market forever, and PM's soar in Wall Street bear markets.
Post removed:
by user
maddiedou
AG
I agree with both of you and as I said I am going off silver coins and ungraded eagles. You are referring to uncirculated eagles and yes 30/35/40 is what they are from most places just dont take out of the roll to look at them

Once that roll is broken they have lost that value

And again I was not stirring up the pot I had an opinion and I had not read the whole thread just the last post by fat sexy

Good luck to the silver buyers I have not bought gold and really not much silver bars just coins
maddiedou
Outdoorag011
Gold and silver are wealth in of itself. They are wealth at this very moment. My 401k and Roth IRA are future promises of wealth. I get where you are coming. That is why I have my 401 and Roth I contribute to but I'm very bullish precious metals in the long run. Way more bullish on silver than I am gold but both will do well.
maddiedou
AG
And again I hope yall are all right it happened twice but just think if you bought in 78/80 at 45-50

You had to wait till 2010/2012 just to maybe make back your money

It is a gamble and a long gamble if you are smart enough to always buy at 5-10 dollars

I do have a question. When it gets up to 50 and all the bullion buyers are buying at 45 or so who do they sell to get their money out of it

I teally dont understand all this part of it and if it tanks again are they holding 45 dollar ounce silver that is only worth 30 an ounce

How does it all work if anybody know
maddiedou
Esteban du Plantier
AG
maddiedou said:

And again I hope yall are all right it happened twice but just think if you bought in 78/80 at 45-50

You had to wait till 2010/2012 just to maybe make back your money

It is a gamble and a long gamble if you are smart enough to always buy at 5-10 dollars

I do have a question. When it gets up to 50 and all the bullion buyers are buying at 45 or so who do they sell to get their money out of it

I teally dont understand all this part of it and if it tanks again are they holding 45 dollar ounce silver that is only worth 30 an ounce

How does it all work if anybody know

My local coin shop will pay spot for generics, perth, Canadian and probably a small premium for Eagles.

I buy and sell on reddit and make the premium/going rate on sales. There's no spread or transaction cost other than shipping.

There's a huge amount of bullion changing hands daily on reddit.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.