Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Buying physical gold/silver

320,178 Views | 2158 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by Red Pear Realty
mwp02ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Is sterling generally plated or solid? Is there a way to tell?

We bought a couple of old ass candlesticks at an estate sale years ago, damn things weight 7lb each. Cant imagine they are solid.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
mwp02ag said:

Is sterling generally plated or solid? Is there a way to tell?

We bought a couple of old ass candlesticks at an estate sale years ago, damn things weight 7lb each. Cant imagine they are solid.

Those are weighted, thin sterling filled with shot or plaster.

If something is marked 'sterling' or various English marks like a lion looking left, then it's probably solid sterling. Most knives have a stainless blade and filled handle, so maybe only 15 grams of sterling. I try to buy spoons, bowls, cups. Stuff that's not filled so I don't have to estimate sterling weight.

Edit: weighted sterling generally clearly says this.
mwp02ag
AG
Thabks, I don't see anything like that on this piece.
Post removed:
by user
Skillet Shot
Good buying opportunity for silver here
Skillet Shot
Just a random 10 oz silver bar from silver gold bull.

According to findbuillionprices.com, wartime 35% nickels are the cheapest silver per oz.
My collection now is only pure silver.

https://monumentmetals.com/wartime-nickel-1-face-value.html
Post removed:
by user
Outdoorag011
When I see spot down 3-5% on days like today I do nothing but laugh. Large miners are spending 19.5-$22.5 an oz to get it out of the ground. Jr miners are spending even more than that. Numbers are circulating that Jrs are paying 26-$30 per oz getting it out of the ground. Rising material costs and rising fuel costs are making it more expensive to mine. Days like today have to remind people that a physical commodity such as silver and gold are controlled by paper and not physical. Paper shorts = complete control.
Bourbon Junkie
historyrepeats said:

nationwide has re-instated their intro offer of first 1 oz gold coin at spot with no shipping or credit card fees. just ordered it and had a prompt call for the payment.

https://nationwidecoins.com/product/government-issued-1-oz-50-gold-american-eagles-at-cost-copy/

Just ordered one of these for $1,740 (less than current spot of $1,727 + $50).

I just wish I owned two houses so I could get another one. haha
Post removed:
by user
Esteban du Plantier
AG
FAT SEXY said:

Question for older stackers: Have premiums always been this high on Silver or is this a new thing?

Definitely a new thing. Used to be like $1 over on generics, maybe a couple bucks on Eagles.
ElGoatarod
AG
Considering buying some gold/silver for the first time. I know only what I've read on this thread. For someone just now getting into precious metals on a small scale what should I look into buying and from where? And is this even a good time to begin buying. I don't have a lot of money to invest currently but I need to start somewhere. Thanks for any advice.
ChiefKiefton
ElGoatarod said:

Considering buying some gold/silver for the first time. I know only what I've read on this thread. For someone just now getting into precious metals on a small scale what should I look into buying and from where? And is this even a good time to begin buying. I don't have a lot of money to invest currently but I need to start somewhere. Thanks for any advice.
YouTube has a bunch of good sources. Yankee Stacking is the best, Silver Dragons and Stacking Stormtrooper are also good. I highly recommend watching them all. I have learned a ton from them.

Go to a local coin shop or check out Apmex and SDbullion online. This is a great time to buy in my opinion. Hasn't been this low in awhile. Just stay away from numismatics and buy Gov minted bullion or generic rounds/bars.
NastyNate
It was! I received an email this morning that they just got some more in stock and I bought some right away. They honored the old sale premium if I clicked through the link in the email. Going directly to the website was showing almost double the premium.

Post removed:
by user
JSKolache
AG
Palladium chart looks tastier than the others - who follows this market? 3k in May down to 2k in Sept - what's up with that swing? Tempting to stack before next upswing...
administrative errors
Red Rover
AG
It appears you posted this on the wrong thread? Unless this is about buying physical bit coins made of gold or silver?
ElGoatarod
AG
Not yet. I've been busy watching every YouTube video on gold and silver stacking I can find.

I'm currently leaning towards buying generic 1 ounce silver rounds. Only interested in stacking for now and not looking to be buying and selling. That strategy could change, but for now I'd just like to get some weight.
administrative errors
It's less than 2 minutes, might change your life's perspective on spoils of war like gold and land.

"Put your money in land or gold. I shoot you and take your land or gold"...
Outdoorag011
He makes me cringe just as much as some of the silver and gold pumpers do.
Red Rover
AG
There are seven crypto trading threads. I guess keeping the BTC pumping to one of those seemed like a more appropriate choice. If someone wanted life changing advice that is 100% no risk to fail, they could have wanted a video there instead.
administrative errors
It was really funny seeing his exposure history to now. He read saifedeans book "bitcoin standard" and turned microstrategy into macrostrategy buying something like 11-14 bitcoin per day on average for ~460 days.

Really enjoyed him describing trying to get money out of a country who's currency was collapsing and considered buying a yacht just to sail it elsewhere and sell it.. but yeah he's a recent massive pumped with means and experience to bring other institutional adoption OK boars [better or worse].

No not a gold bug, I'm to interested in the idea of asteroid mining to think supply of PM's is limited in anyway.

Also learning about the history of money, from rocks, to shells, to paper backed by PM, to fiat, to bitcoin has only hardened me against gold/etc. Not to slight anyone who has opposing feelings. It's too easily seizable and I can't imagine a situation where we would be bartering slices of gold or gold tokens or platinum coins worth trillion dollars as a realistic future.
Coming soon:
AE Ventures - sooner than soon
*Psychedelic Retreats
*Physical and mental exercises
*Addiction services

Step 3: property found

Step 4: set date

Step 5: plan agenda for participants, food, logistics etc, integration and counseling post-experience

Step 6: long-term planning

I am amped.
Outdoorag011
It's is interesting to see where he started and where he is now in the media's eye. I own BTC and ETH but can't stand him. In my own personal taste, he makes me cringe.

Asteroid mining is not even remotely a possibility for a very long time. Considering the time it takes to start a mine, the production costs and costs of running the business, it's not a solution. At least not yet. So many miners struggle on earth to turn a profit. I can't imagine how much it would cost per oz for gold and silver to mine in space.
Post removed:
by user
JSKolache
AG
Considering. It just seems a little weird stacking a true industrial ... different market but appears to have investment potential beyond just hedge potential.
CAPORAL
AG
I'm looking for a website that will tell you approximate values for some coins I have. Any suggestions?
Outdoorag011
Depends on the coins. What do you have?
CAPORAL
AG
Some pre '65 quarters and some early '70 dollars. Eisenhower, perhaps.
insulator_king
AG
Try coinflation.com.
ChiefKiefton
Just picked up this beauty.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.