Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Buying physical gold/silver

320,124 Views | 2158 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by Red Pear Realty
Red Pear Realty
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sponsor
AG
Still cheap.
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
Aggiemike96
AG
jagvocate said:

Not a peep

We've all been in a hurry today to make purchases before silver blasts past $25!
TTUArmy
What the heck with palladium?
maddiedou
AG
Yep just think if you would have bought in 2022. 2900 an ounce

maddiedou
Mongolian Christmas
Aggiemike96 said:

jagvocate said:

Not a peep

We've all been in a hurry today to make purchases before silver blasts past $25!

I'll keep buying until $30 at least
P.H. Dexippus
AG
maddiedou said:

Yep just think if you would have bought in 2022. 2900 an ounce
$3,300 almost 2 years ago to the day
jagvocate
AG
GOLD hit $2165

not even a mouse fart!
JR Ewing
AG
jagvocate said:

GOLD hit $2165

not even a mouse fart!

Yes, but where will it go from here?
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Do you think the federal government will spend more or less money going forward?
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
JR Ewing
AG
Red Pear Realty said:

Do you think the federal government will spend more or less money going forward?

We are adding $1T to the debt clock every 3 months…they certainly won't be reining that in anytime soon.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
That would make me bullish on gold.
TTUArmy
Silver to gold is mined at a 7:1 ratio. Last year there was 820 million oz of silver mined. Last year there was 1.2 billion oz of silver consumed. In 2024, it is projected to be 1.4 billion oz of silver consumed.

Since there is an obvious deficit, why isn't silver priced much higher? Gold is currently at $2170.25. At a 7:1 ratio, silver should be trading at a minimum of $310 per oz.

Feel free to add your thoughts on this weirdness.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
TTUArmy said:

Silver to gold is mined at a 7:1 ratio. Last year there was 820 million oz of silver mined. Last year there was 1.2 billion oz of silver consumed. In 2024, it is projected to be 1.4 billion oz of silver consumed.

Since there is an obvious deficit, why isn't silver priced much higher? Gold is currently at $2170.25. At a 7:1 ratio, silver should be trading at a minimum of $310 per oz.

Silver is the most shorted asset on earth. Several times more silver is held short than there is on the surface of the earth.

This holds the price down.
billikenag
Costco has gold maple leafs for sale on the website.
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man.
TTUArmy
Esteban du Plantier said:

TTUArmy said:

Silver is the most shorted asset on earth. Several times more silver is held short than there is on the surface of the earth.

This holds the price down.
I can appreciate the paper markets doing what they do. There are some people in the precious metals space that are trying to get silver categorized as a critical element, primarily due to it's heavy industrial use. The low cost of silver definitely makes our cars, electronics, and military munitions cheaper to produce.

I dare to think what a new phone or car would cost if silver were in the $200-300 per oz range. More importantly, what government action might be taken if silver were categorized as a critical resource. Would they take it off the retail market? Would they try to confiscate people's silver stacks -Come and Take it- style? I like to think we're sitting on a treasure chest and not a powder keg.
Jabin
billikenag said:

Costco has gold maple leafs for sale on the website.
Price? I'm not a member so cannot see it. How does it compare the prices on walmart.com?
K Bo
AG
Showing $2219.99 less 4% with Costco Executive + Costco Citi card, ~$45 under spot
EliteZags
AG
curious how much gold weight/value is in a 10K men's Aggie ring
TheVarian
AG
Aren't the mens ring an ounce?
maddiedou
AG
maddiedou
TTUArmy
Had an APMEX notification hit my phone today saying gold hit $2,200+.

Man...love to see it.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
TheVarian said:

Aren't the mens ring an ounce?

Mine weighs 30.7 grams, so almost a troy ounce.

So right at $900 in gold at 42%
Andrew Dufresne
Got a 1945 War Nickel in my change this evening. Was a nice surprise.

Heads up: There are '42 and '45 nickels that are just the normal metal composition. Verify the unique mint mark for the 35% Silver variety.

maddiedou
AG
You are correct
42 P and S.
43 /44/45. PDS
maddiedou
jagvocate
AG

TTUArmy

Thanks jag! Interesting read.

The Fed swindled Americans out of their gold because they did not want a competing currency. If that weren't bad enough, they further appealed to people's patriotism and war effort to continue their gold grab. Paper fiat is made more worthless by the day via inflation.

End the Fed.
CC09LawAg
They even managed to drop a "trust the science" line in there with their "scientific plan".
Aggiemike96
AG
Aggiemike96 said:

jagvocate said:

Not a peep

And we're there!
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Blue star for everyone who got in below $25
Picard
AG
Silver will likely retract again once the markets figure out the fed isn't lowering interest rates when planned.

But hopefully this raises the floor a bit.
jagvocate
AG
Little bit of humor on a good day

TTUArmy
Picard said:

Silver will likely retract again once the markets figure out the fed isn't lowering interest rates when planned.

But hopefully this raises the floor a bit.

I know this sounds weird or against conventional market wisdom but, PMs have held up way better than I expected under a "strong" dollar. I think we may see silver at $27'ish by end of year. Sovereigns are still buying gold like they can't get off the dollar soon enough.

Yes, Powell seems intent on keeping rates high. I need see the Fed dip their toe into a tight Treasury auction before I push a bigger pile of my chips into PMs. I've got plenty of cash on the sideline to do so but, still in a DCA schedule until we get to that point.
jagvocate
AG
"Yes, Powell seems intent on keeping rates high."

One thing that gold especially always sniffs out is the real rate of inflation. Interest rates can be high but actual inflation way higher (even if doctored government statistics aren't saying so) and that's when gold (and later silver) can mysteriously climb, climb, climb

I'm not smart enough to time that so I just dollar cost average and buy dips when they're obvious to an investing dummy like myself :-)
TTUArmy
Can you imagine the squeeze in silver that cocoa is currently experiencing?
jagvocate
AG
$silver today

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.