Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Buying physical gold/silver

320,372 Views | 2158 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by Red Pear Realty
Mas89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
jagvocate said:

Thanks maddiedou! Any idea where we can purchase junk silver in large quantities while knowing the amount of wear, prior to purchase?
Some companies will offer BU or uncirculated junk silver for a slight premium over regular circulated junk silver.
Sdbullion currently has $10 rolls of Kennedy half dollars in Bu and regular. $224/ $246 is the current price
So about $1.10 per coin more for the uncirculated coins with 20 per roll
Yukon Cornelius
AG
What's the advantage to junk silver over silver eagles?
redsquirrelAG
AG
I don't know I'd say there is an advantage. I like the smaller denomination option and also just the historical aspect and easily confirmable and recognizable silver value based on year issued and wear. Lately though I like the prices I'm seeing compared to rounds. I want to pass down a considerable amount to my boys.
TTUArmy
I have some 90%, but not in any great quantity. Mostly coins I've purchased from my wife's 87 y.o. grandmother. I mostly buy coin bullion, ASEs, and other sovereigns. As far as gold, I buy mostly bars, coins, and fractional.
jagvocate
AG
Yukon Cornelius said:

What's the advantage to junk silver over silver eagles?
It all goes back to why we stack IMHO. Pre-1965 coins are easily recognizable, are actual widely circulated currency (though worth much more than face value), and will be easy to barter with should times get really hard.

With the gold/silver ratio in heavy favor silver, I buy it, and I currently probably buy 50% rounds, 30-5% ASE's, and the rest in junk. If I didn't have the doomsday scenarios in mind I'd skip the junk.

maddiedou
AG
Mas89 said:

jagvocate said:

Thanks maddiedou! Any idea where we can purchase junk silver in large quantities while knowing the amount of wear, prior to purchase?
Some companies will offer BU or uncirculated junk silver for a slight premium over regular circulated junk silver.
Sdbullion currently has $10 rolls of Kennedy half dollars in Bu and regular. $224/ $246 is the current price
So about $1.10 per coin more for the uncirculated coins with 20 per roll

This is my opinion with some facts to back it up

Kennedys are basically junk silver as if today maybe in 100 years they will have more value

A bu kennedy sells for the same price as a ef40 kennedy
The kennedys do not get monetary status until ms65
Which is about 20.00 and it cost that much to have it graded to a ms 65

Buying a 10.00 roll of kennedys of BU should be in the 200.00 price

I am not saying 245 is not a good prices because in 50 years it maybe and if I was a new comer I would probably buy for 240 also

Just laying some grading facts about Bu kennedys

These companies know how to market because I have bought many items unfortunately

maddiedou
redsquirrelAG
AG
Quote:

If I didn't have the doomsday scenarios in mind I'd skip the junk.

That's the funnest part.

Don't forget lead.
Outdoorag011
I buy most of my 90% silver now at an LCS
Yukon Cornelius
AG
But do non silver stakers know the pre 1964 coins have silver? Seems the ASE would be more obvious and easily accepted by the uninitiated.
jagvocate
AG
Yukon Cornelius said:

But do non silver stakers know the pre 1964 coins have silver? Seems the ASE would be more obvious and easily accepted by the uninitiated.

My travels in the third world tell me humans get up to speed on any situation pretty quickly

Yukon Cornelius
AG
True but if you're picking or the other why not just ASE? Are premiums better on junk typically?
Aggiemike96
AG
For new, circular silver bullion, premiums generally follow as:

Rounds < nonUS governments < ASEs
Yukon Cornelius
AG
This a good deal?

https://www.apmex.com/product/96578/1-oz-american-silver-eagle-bu-buy-19-get-the-20th-free
AggieT
AG
This is better.

And you can pay with a credit card with no fee added.
AggieT
AG
Also look here.
Yukon Cornelius
AG
Hmmm Apex does have a higher premium
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
APMEX is usually the highest priced option, but from time to time they offer specials that can be very attractive. FindBullionPrices is usually the best way to find the best deal out there. You should also develop a relationship with your local coin shop and if you play your cards right, they will hook you up too.
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
Yukon Cornelius
AG
Apmex let's me trade crypto for silver so they're are super attractive that way
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
So do many others. I just looked real quick, but it seems that these companies do as well:

• BullionMax
  • SD Bullion
  • Buillion Exchanges
  • Provident Metals
  • JM Bullion
  • BGASC
  • HERO Bullion (a Texas company)
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
Yukon Cornelius
AG
Thank you
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Hey y'all. Most of these depository type companies are just running scams and this will probably not be the last of this type of event to happen. We don't get to find out who's been swimming naked until the tide goes out.

maddiedou
AG
That is sad

I have made some very expensive mistakes but I have the coins of those mistakes so at least I have something of nothing ha

I have said this many times the good thing my kids dont know what Inhabe bought them for so when they sell its all profit to them Just gonna be a PITA for them
maddiedou
TTUArmy
Red Pear Realty said:

Hey y'all. Most of these depository type companies are just running scams and this will probably not be the last of this type of event to happen. We don't get to find out who's been swimming naked until the tide goes out.

If I've taken one lesson away from investing in the stock market, gold, silver, and to a very small degree...crypto, it's the hard lesson "if you don't hold it, you don't own it" - counter-party risks.

I've done very well on paper investments in the stock market. Granted, I lost my butt a couple of times over the last few decades and clawed my way back. Those were steep, dark, depressing mountains to climb all over again. At some point, I realized that I'm getting too old to do this; I need to protect a good portion of my wealth.

My perspective on counter-party risks evolved and it became one of the driving reasons I began allocating into physical gold and silver. My friends and family don't see the value in this decision; in fact their eyes glaze over when I explain it to them. I hope it never becomes brutally apparent to them why one should have assets outside the system.

The elites running the economy have shown that they are completely derelict in their fiscal/monetary policies and responsibilities. I have zero trust in them to make people whole when this economy unravels...again. No, I believe they will make themselves whole at everyone else's expense. And, I want as little a part in that reckoning as possible.
redsquirrelAG
AG
Preach
jagvocate
AG
I like to think of buying gold and silver as "locking in the gains" I've made elsewhere

TTUArmy
Looks like silver is making a slow recovery into the $28 range this morning.
Yukon Cornelius
AG
Curious, do y'all trade silver or gold? I guess what's the importance of short term price action other than for buying?
TTUArmy
Yukon Cornelius said:

Curious, do y'all trade silver or gold? I guess what's the importance of short term price action other than for buying?

I think most here are stackers, so mainly as buying info. I stopped trading paper gold and silver a long time ago.

Also, Gold is hitting a new ATH.
Yukon Cornelius
AG
Ok that's what I was thinking. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything
TTUArmy
Gold might go $2500 by tonight or tomorrow morning. <scratch that>

EDIT: Wow...I completely missed gold hitting $2500+ earlier today. Incredible!!
jagvocate
AG
I typically use spot but that's not going to stop me from enjoying a price

fish_rich
AG
Bought this graded gold bullion off Wal Mart below spot today

Yukon Cornelius
AG
They slow to update or what?
maddiedou
AG
Ms70 first issue
maddiedou
TTUArmy
Silver up nearly a dollar this morning.

That MS70 first day is a great buy at that very discounted price. Just taking it off the website and you're already money ahead.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.