Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Buying physical gold/silver

320,118 Views | 2158 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by Red Pear Realty
Yukon Cornelius
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Any added value buying rolls of pre 1964 quarters. Bought one and got a 1893 quarter and a pedalstal quarter.
fish_rich
AG
One thing to keep in mind with WalMart, is that the actual order is fulfilled by one of the bullion dealers (APMEX, Bullion Exchange, etc).

Typically, the prices will correlate with spot price movement. For example, the next day I bought the same deal but the price of gold went up so the price went up as well.

My theory, is that if one of the bullion dealers have some SKUs that they want to clear out but they don't want all their customer seeing low or negative premiums, they can mark it down on the Wal Mart listing.
jagvocate
AG
Check IRS tax cases for holding precious metals and the term "unfettered access" ....

for IRA beneficiaries in holding gold or silver in their own possession … safest move in a self-directed IRA is probably to hold it through an intermediary trustee …

a decade or so ago the IRS heavily taxed a Rhode Island couple for holding their self-directed IRA gold and silver themselves, in their own safe, and deemed it an unauthorized transaction

This lead to to a 10% penalty and applying tax to the entire amount, due immediately.

This is one of the downsides the making Uncle Sam one's business partner when deferring taxes through an IRA ….

The system really doesn't want people getting a tax benefit and holding gold in their own hands ... would mess up their US Dollar games

jagvocate
AG
Recent gold activity portends a potential 45-year breakout in pricing

maddiedou
AG
Yukon Cornelius said:

Any added value buying rolls of pre 1964 quarters. Bought one and got a 1893 quarter and a pedalstal quarter.

Here is my opinion on junk
A Morgan has .77 ounces a silver So if you buy a 10.00 dollar roll of Morgans It is 7.7 ounces of silver

Thats all and most junk silver is junk so take that 7.7 and reduce it for wear down to 6.7-7 ounces

If your getting the junk for a good price then buy it. It is very recognizable to everyone and if things were to happen
American currency is and will be the bartering product
Ammo. Gardens. Beef. Silver

maddiedou
jagvocate
AG
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/gold-bars-worth-million-dollars-170501281.html

redsquirrelAG
AG
Life goals.

Buy me a gold bar.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
SD Bullion has AU Morgans on sale for $35 per coin. About what an ASE is going for right now.

https://sdbullion.com/pre-1921-morgan-silver-dollar-au
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
Mostly Foggy Recollection
Just had my silver shipped from the depository I had it at to a residence.

Shipping quote was $645
AggieT
AG
Wow. Due to the weight or the insurance?
Bocephus
AG
Mostly Foggy Recollection said:

Shipping quote was $645

Coulda bought another 20 oz for that. Wonder what it would cost in gas to drive to that depository and back?
TAMU ‘98 Ole Miss ‘21
Yukon Cornelius
AG
800 ounces?
AggieT said:

Wow. Due to the weight or the insurance?

Both.
Bocephus said:

Mostly Foggy Recollection said:

Shipping quote was $645

Coulda bought another 20 oz for that. Wonder what it would cost in gas to drive to that depository and back?

Problem with that is the drive is to Idaho and I have a busy work schedule.
Yukon Cornelius said:

800 ounces?

That's not a number I'm comfortable giving out.
Yukon Cornelius
AG
Haha no doubt. Trying to make a guess based on your shipping price
LMCane
is there any negative consequence to buying SMALLER than a full ounce of gold?

at the Mint downtown they have quarter ounce pieces- would these be harder to sell or gain in value?
HarleySpoon
AG
LMCane said:

at the Mint downtown they have quarter ounce pieces- would these be harder to sell or gain in value?
Would actually be an advantage to be able to sell/barter in smaller units….however, on the buy side they are usually $50 to $200 more per ounce.
Outdoorag011
As Harley said, smaller sizes are a pro in a lot of ways for Gold. Fractional gold pieces in my experience move much faster if you ever decide to sell. I myself have sold some 1/10 oz and half oz very quickly. Prices on them though are more expensive. Do you know the mints price?

The smaller the size, the more likely an average joe could buy/trade with you.
TTUArmy
LMCane said:

When I first started buying gold, I bought the 1/10th oz pieces. I bought (10), then I just started putting money aside for the full 1 oz coins and bars. The premiums are stiff. It took me awhile to be above water on both gold and silver fractional pieces. However, with the way gold and silver are going, you should be able to recover the spread in fairly short order.
LMCane
Outdoorag011 said:

As Harley said, smaller sizes are a pro in a lot of ways for Gold. Fractional gold pieces in my experience move much faster if you ever decide to sell. I myself have sold some 1/10 oz and half oz very quickly. Prices on them though are more expensive. Do you know the mints price?

The smaller the size, the more likely an average joe could buy/trade with you.

thanks to you and Harley

I live outside DC so can go downtown to the US Federal Mint coin store on a day off and buy whatever I want.

I don't think they can mark it up if they are a Federal agency but who knows.
LMCane
TTUArmy said:

LMCane said:

When I first started buying gold, I bought the 1/10th oz pieces. I bought (10), then I just started putting money aside for the full 1 oz coins and bars. The premiums are stiff. It took me awhile to be above water on both gold and silver fractional pieces. However, with the way gold and silver are going, you should be able to recover the spread in fairly short order.

Thanks TTU

here is the store in DC no idea if they are more expensive than other places, but logically it would seem buying direct from the US Government would be cheaper than going through a middle man

US Mint Washington DC Gift Shop
Aggiemike96
AG
Bullion Exchanges has 1-oz gold coins for spot.

https://bullionexchanges.com/1-oz-gold-coin-random-mint-scruffy
HarleySpoon
AG
LMCane said:

TTUArmy said:

LMCane said:

Thanks TTU

here is the store in DC no idea if they are more expensive than other places, but logically it would seem buying direct from the US Government would be cheaper than going through a middle man

US Mint Washington DC Gift Shop

The mint souvenir store you linked is currently several hundred dollars more for an uncirculated gold Eagle than your local bullion/coin dealer like $2,600 vs $3,300. Again….uncirculated, not proof.
They are allowed to charge a premium as their (mint/treasury)'s distribution contract is with a very limited (less than ten) distribution companies that sell to the bullion dealers that commit to buy many millions ACH year. You and I cannot buy gold from US mint except for over priced examples thru their souvenir shops in order to not negatively impact the distribution network companies.
Yukon Cornelius
AG
jagvocate
AG
Just listened to a precious metals "expert" recommend Austrian "Harmonicas" as a good buy right now

Yukon Cornelius
AG
Lol why? Does that guy have a case he's trying to offload lol?
AzulLandry
By the way, I never thought about it. Does anyone have a book or video on the topic of buying physical gold
AggieRain
AG
What is a good price point for purchasing 1 Troy oz. silver rounds?
TTUArmy
AggieRain said:

What is a good price point for purchasing 1 Troy oz. silver rounds?

Always check the spot price before buying. Buy as close to spot price as you can. Be very, very cautious, even suspicious, if you see silver bullion selling for under spot price. No reputable dealer wants to sell precious metals at a loss. Last, understand that most silver bullion is sold at "spot price + premium".

Example:
If you checked the spot price of silver a few minutes before you walk-in to a coin shop, and the spot price is $30, you can likely plan to spend $2-5 over the spot price...so $32-35 per troy oz silver coin bullion. American Silver Eagles usually carry higher premiums - $4-8 depending on the shop. The US Mint is very proud of their coins.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
What he said plus this:

https://findbullionprices.com/
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
AggieRain
AG
Very helpful. Thanks!
Yukon Cornelius
AG
Apmex selling spot price silver eagles. 2 per customer.

https://www.apmex.com//product/289660
aunuwyn08
AG
Yukon Cornelius said:

Apmex selling spot price silver eagles. 2 per customer.

https://www.apmex.com//product/289660

Lol that deal is already gone.

Costco selling tubes of eagles for 679
Yukon Cornelius
AG
I think it's an account based exclusive deal. My bad

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.