Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Buying physical gold/silver

320,196 Views | 2158 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by Red Pear Realty
TTUArmy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
aunuwyn08 said:

Yukon Cornelius said:

Apmex selling spot price silver eagles. 2 per customer.

https://www.apmex.com//product/289660

Lol that deal is already gone.

Costco selling tubes of eagles for 679

That's a pretty good deal on ASE's at Costco.
jagvocate
AG
Just a reminder that when it's been quiet for almost a week on this thread that's typically a decent entry point

AggieT
AG
Was just looking at Costco. Pamp Bars, AGE, and ASE available.
TXAggie4Christ
AG
AggieT said:

Was just looking at Costco. Pamp Bars, AGE, and ASE available.

Costco 20-ASE tube went down $30 from previous price point.
Aggiemike96
AG
Read the Costco reviews. Evidently some of the tubes come open during shipping.
aunuwyn08
AG
Aggiemike96 said:

Eagles are eagles.

If you want to guarantee numismatic value just buy an ms70 slabbed coin.
ac04
bought a buttload of GLDM today. not physical but i still feel good about it.
Aggiemike96
AG
aunuwyn08 said:

Aggiemike96 said:

Eagles are eagles.

You missed my point. Costco uses UPS, and UPS uses plastic shipping envelopes. If those tubes come open, those coins are going to rattle and "clink" around. So much for discretion. If that envelope comes open and one or more coins are missing, good luck with Costco. I'm just saying...buyer beware.
TXAggie4Christ
AG
Aggiemike96 said:

aunuwyn08 said:

Aggiemike96 said:

Eagles are eagles.

You missed my point. Costco uses UPS, and UPS uses plastic shipping envelopes. If those tubes come open, those coins are going to rattle and "clink" around. So much for discretion. If that envelope comes open and one or more coins are missing, good luck with Costco. I'm just saying...buyer beware.

Good tip. Mine arrived well sealed and fine. UPS does put them in a larger box too. SD Bullion shipments arrived much smaller package and are well sealed.
Aggiemike96
AG
TXAggie4Christ said:

Aggiemike96 said:

aunuwyn08 said:

Aggiemike96 said:

Eagles are eagles.

Good tip. Mine arrived well sealed and fine. UPS does put them in a larger box too. SD Bullion shipments arrived much smaller package and are well sealed.
That's great that they're shipped in a box. Individual items they've put in an envelope. Makes me nervous. I've bought from Bullion Exchanges, and they double-pack. Seems Costco (or their supplier) doesn't pack as well.
redsquirrelAG
AG
1 week out from the Black swan doing her thing.
Yukon Cornelius
AG
Huh
KatyAggie2000
AG
My uncle has a lot of 1 oz Krugerrand coins (200). He's wanting to start selling a few. What is the best recommendation I can give him? Should he just google gold dealers in his area and look at reviews? Is it better to sell in smaller lots vs. the entire set? All new to him (and me). I told him TA would likely have some thoughts. TIA.
I bleed maroon
AG
KatyAggie2000 said:

My uncle has a lot of 1 oz Krugerrand coins (200). He's wanting to start selling a few. What is the best recommendation I can give him? Should he just google gold dealers in his area and look at reviews? Is it better to sell in smaller lots vs. the entire set? All new to him (and me). I told him TA would likely have some thoughts. TIA.
Good question, and important for people on this thread who aren't "hold forever doomsday-ers".

My impressions are that there is risk on any exchange of currency for gold. Obviously, credit cards, checks, Venmo and bitcoin are riskier than cash. But, you have to be sure it's not counterfeit bills (I'm not sure I trust myself to identify). I think Zelle is more secure? Would be interested in others' thoughts on best medium of exchange...

As far as who to sell to, once again my impression is that online gold dealers would be among the worst exchange rates. Local gold dealers maybe a bit better? The private exchange with a willing buyer is probably preferable, for me (but I'm not trying to offload over half a million bucks worth like your uncle). I think a small initial transaction to make sure you're comfortable with each other, and then as few large transactions as you can stomach (to reduce transaction hassle and/or fees).

I think mid-point between the bid/ask (their listed buy and sell rates) of a reputable gold dealer's listed current offers is a good starting place for price negotiation. Realize, a private transaction has benefits and drawbacks - an in-person exchange avoids shipping charges, insurance, tax reporting, and hopefully fraud mitigation. Theft, loss of anonymity, and fraud are the biggest downside risks.

Goldbugs - let me know where I'm wrong.
Diggity
AG
you would need to do a wire transfer or escrow for anything that large.
Outdoorag011
Is he in Houston?
AggieT
AG
Group buy?
redsquirrelAG
AG
AggieT said:

Group buy?
KatyAggie2000
AG
Outdoorag011 said:

Is he in Houston?
No. Denver.
Ted Lasso
AG
Sdbullion online buys back 1 oz Krugs for $30 under spot
Outdoorag011
It'll need to be a big group haha
Outdoorag011
Gotcha. Well for anyone in Houston, Royal coin and jewelry buys large lots. Blake is the owner and is a good guy.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
6 days.

Also, gold at another all time high today. Up about $40 to $2,555.
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
TheVarian
AG
Well, I could go meet him and then drive it down to everyone
Yukon Cornelius
AG
What are you referring to? 6 days until what?
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Until the fun starts.

Gold is up because the ECB cut rates again today and the market knows the Fed will lower their target rate at their meeting in six days. Another poster had already started the countdown yesterday, so I figured it would be fun to continue it while I was posting about the new all-time high.
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
TTUArmy
Look at 'em go!

Love to see it.
TTUArmy
https://www.moneymetals.com/news/2024/09/12/saudi-central-bank-caught-secretly-buying-160-tonnes-of-gold-in-switzerland-003458

A lot of central banks buying gold.
jagvocate
AG
They like to think of it as "dumping dollars"

Marauder Blue 6
AG
Anyone have an idea how much higher gold can go? It's not like they can make more of it.
I bleed maroon
AG
Marauder Blue 6 said:

Anyone have an idea how much higher gold can go?

Your guess is as good as anyone else's guess. There are so many conflicting factors impacting the price of gold that it's very close to a truly efficient market. Sentiment is the main driver, which means different things to different buyers/sellers. It could have reached a new trading range, or it might have another leg up or down - no one "knows".

It's not like they can make more of it.

This isn't remotely true. There is more made every day. It's not "real" until it has been mined/refined, and estimates of unmined gold are pretty sketchy, at best. Think of "Peak Oil" theory (fact to some) a decade ago. Along comes fracking and other new extraction technology, and it made previously unaccessible reserves suddenly into very real production. Something like that could happen in gold and other mining (read a little about Direct Lithium Extraction, right here in Texas, as a very recent example).
Yukon Cornelius
AG
But a lot of it can enter markets. How much gold has been sitting for decades?
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
5 days.

Gold hovering just under $2,600 and silver just under $31.
aunuwyn08
AG
Gold buffalos at insanely good price on Costco.
jagvocate
AG
aunuwyn08 said:

Gold buffalos at insanely good price on Costco.

My favorite coin

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.