Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Buying physical gold/silver

320,199 Views | 2158 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by Red Pear Realty
aunuwyn08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Me too, I was surprised how much better they look in person than in pictures.

I've never seen a proof but the MS look great!
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
4 days.

The market is now predicting 50/50 odds of a 50 bps rate cut.

Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
techno-ag
AG
Anything to help a D in an election.
TTUArmy
If we consider government is manipulating economic data in an attempt to make the economy look better than it truely is and add the Fed's dependence on this manipulated data in order to make monetary decisions in a timely fashion, 50 bps rate cut will seem quite late in the game. In reality, the rates should remain high to cull the irresponsible banks and businesses out of the market.

It's fine...let them kick the can down the road. There's a "Dead End" sign at the end of it. They see it and some here do as well. We understand the life of fiat has an expiration - historical fact. We also know they will try to foist a "new fiat money" on us which is as worthless and tyrannical as the one that came before. The ignorant masses will eagerly adopt this new money rather than starve to death. And those who took the path less traveled, gold, silver, even BTC, will probably be punished in some way...TBD. Why? Because this fiat game is all about institutional control of humans. Precious metals places power back in the hands of people...not politicians...not central banks.
TTUArmy
BRICS countries are buying precious metals direct from the miners; bypassing the LBMA and COMEX radar. This keeps the spot price of metals from rising too dramatically.

If you trade paper GLD/SLV, keep an eye on miner stocks.
Jabin
TTUArmy said:

BRICS countries are buying precious metals direct from the miners; bypassing the LBMA and COMEX radar. This keeps the spot price of metals from rising too dramatically.

Do you have evidence that those transactions are occurring?

And if it is, why wouldn't it cause the spot price of metals to rise dramatically? If those metals are not reaching the markets, that means less supply and should result in higher prices.
TTUArmy
Jabin said:

TTUArmy said:

Do you have evidence that those transactions are occurring?

And if it is, why wouldn't it cause the spot price of metals to rise dramatically? If those metals are not reaching the markets, that means less supply and should result in higher prices.

The precious metals they are buying direct from miners is not getting registered as "above ground" through the normal channels. Some countries don't have the same contract restrictions we do regarding export of precious metals in ore or refined form. That's why it isn't showing up in the spot price. It's a sneaky end around play where countries like China get to contract with miners at spot, or less, while not raising any political eyebrows abroad, and also not directly affecting the spot market. They're buying it fresh outta the ground and no one is the wiser.

That's why I said, "watch the miners". Keep track of their financial health. At some point, this is going to show up in mining reports and squeeze the hell out of the paper market from a direction many weren't expecting. That's because we're playing by the rules. These other countries...not so much.
Diggity
AG
and the commodities brokers are none the wiser?

sounds far fetched but not my area of expertise.
Aggiemike96
AG
Red Pear Realty said:

4 days.
T-0. Here we go!
AggieT
AG
Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly is expected to happen? Just the rate cut, or a reaction to a cut that isn't already priced in?
Aggiemike96
AG
I'm with you. I'm in metals for the long-haul, so I'm not very familiar with the shor-term consequences of rate cuts. I see that the Dow, Ag, and Au are responding in the green to today's 0.5% rate cut.
Bocephus
AG
Aggiemike96 said:

I'm with you. I'm in metals for the long-haul, so I'm not very familiar with the shor-term consequences of rate cuts. I see that the Dow, Ag, and Au are responding in the green to today's 0.5% rate cut.

In theory, a cut should cause to value of metals to go down
TAMU ‘98 Ole Miss ‘21
Aggiemike96
AG
Bocephus said:

Aggiemike96 said:

In theory, a cut should cause to value of metals to go down
And that initial bump is now down in the red.
AggieT
AG
Good call.
TTUArmy
Metals seeing a move up this morning. Let's see where they are at at Friday close. Maybe gold closes at a new ATH.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
$5,000 gold within the next four years.
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
FireAg
AG
If one were to buy silver, say from Apmex, what should they buy? Coins? Bars? Cast bars? Sealed or unsealed?

Anyone willing to educate me?
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
I might buy some Canadian maples or American silver eagles from BullionExchanges.com or SDBullion.com, or whatever coins Costco is selling (they will limit you to 5 tubes at a time).
FireAg
AG
Red Pear Realty said:

I might buy some Canadian maples or American silver eagles from BullionExchanges.com or SDBullion.com, or whatever coins Costco is selling (they will limit you to 5 tubes at a time).

Okay…why that instead of bars?

Total novice here but have some excess cash to invest…
TTUArmy
Red Pear Realty said:

Is the gold price actually going up or purchase power of US dollar going down?

My grocery bill each month is in car payment territory, yet same amount of groceries. Not that I have a car payment, but those payments are in the house payment zone for many people. Unemployment, which is not great right now, is probably on track to get much worse...for a time. The stock market looks a race to beat inflation which ends with everyone running for the exits and gobbling up hard assets at hyperinflated prices.

We may be in for some very interesting times this go 'round. Prayers for everyone to get through the rough patch ahead.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
FireAg said:

Red Pear Realty said:

Okay…why that instead of bars?

Total novice here but have some excess cash to invest…

We all started somewhere. In general, silver coins (coins are produced by governments and rounds are made by private companies) are more recognizable, have better security features, and are more likely to be produced again next year than rounds. It's almost the same thing for silver bars compared to silver coins, but I believe there are some government mints that produce small denomination silver bars (Australia's mint for sure, maybe more?) and the big Swiss banks that produce bars are well regarded. I think some Europeans might prefer silver bars for 1 ounce denominations? Mixing in some kilo bars made by some well regarded mints might be a good idea too if you like the idea of bars and are about to really throw in some money. The Royal Canadian Mint, Perth Mint, and the Royal Mint all make nice kilo silver bars. I like the Perth Mint bars the best of those three. Coins will be easier to liquidate than bars, in general, also.

If you're going to buy more than a couple of tubes, I might mix in some kilo bars or one or two types of coins such that you can store them in monster boxes easily. I wouldn't just have all my stuff in a treasure chest loose like a pirate like you're going to have to do with a bunch of random rounds and bars.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
TTUArmy said:

Red Pear Realty said:

Is the gold price actually going up or purchase power of US dollar going down?

We may be in for some very interesting times this go 'round. Prayers for everyone to get through the rough patch ahead.

Yes.
FireAg
AG
So if doing coins, would you choose the Canadian or the US?
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Personally, the Maple Leaf. I think there are several reasons that its better than the ASE:

• Better security
  • Better worldwide recognition and better worldwide demand
  • More visually appealing
  • Lower premium (really, it has a better resale value to purchase price ratio from what I've seen)
  • The Type 2 ASE reverse design is absolutely terrible, IMO
I bleed maroon
AG
FireAg - where are you located?

I am in Austin, and this goes for any long-term reputable posters here - I hold both Silver Eagles and Maple Leafs (maybe 200 or so), and could part with some for a 5% discount to Apmex's listed price if you can do a cash transaction in Austin. I have a few gold eagles, too - same offer. I've been meaning to slim down my holdings for a while, so if you want to start out small (say, 20 coins) as a test, let me know.

Private message if interested.
Aggiemike96
AG
FireAg said:

So if doing coins, would you choose the Canadian or the US?

I'd choose Maples. The Maple was my cherry-buster into metals, so I have a soft spot for them.

Plus the premiums are generally lower on Maples than ASEs.
FireAg
AG
Now are we talking just any maples, or do I want proofs? How much silver is in a maple?
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Proofs, reverse proofs, special editions, limited editions, and Libertads are for coin nerds. If you are investing in silver, just buy plain Jane silver coins like these:

$33.83 per ounce if you buy 100:
https://bullionexchanges.com/2024-1-oz-canadian-silver-maple-leaf-coin-bu

$34.32 per ounce if you buy 100:
https://sdbullion.com/2024-silver-maple-leaf-coin

I forgot to mention that 100 ounce bars are another good way to save on premiums. Englehard bars are widely regarded and these are on sale for only $1.25/oz over spot:
https://monumentmetals.com/100oz-engelhard-silver-bar.html
maddiedou
AG
FireAg said:

Now are we talking just any maples, or do I want proofs? How much silver is in a maple?

Red pair is correct

You are not a collector you are a stacker

Stick with recognizable coins/bars. Maples. Eagles
1 ounce bars

maddiedou
FireAg
AG
All good info…thanks!
TXAggie4Christ
AG
FireAg said:

All good info…thanks!

I started stacking about 18mo ago thanks to this thread.
Sticking with American silver eagles, Canadian maples, some 1oz and 10oz silver bars. And a few 1/4, 1/2 and 1oz gold.

I'll bounce around mainly to Costco, Sd bullion, and wal mart that subcontracts out to a few of the popular dealers.

Costco 20 1oz ASEs were $689 last night but had been at $639 just 3 weeks ago, they do adjust their prices now and again.
And we have the business exe membership so they add to your annual rebate and you can get points on your visa, no cc upcharge for cost co.

But it's been fun following the thread for wisdom and trying to watch for dips to buy in
FireAg
AG
TXAggie4Christ said:

FireAg said:

All good info…thanks!

I started stacking about 18mo ago thanks to this thread.
Sticking with American silver eagles, Canadian maples, some 1oz and 10oz silver bars. And a few 1/4, 1/2 and 1oz gold.

I'll bounce around mainly to Costco, Sd bullion, and wal mart that subcontracts out to a few of the popular dealers.

Costco 20 1oz ASEs were $689 last night but had been at $639 just 3 weeks ago, they do adjust their prices now and again.
And we have the business exe membership so they add to your annual rebate and you can get points on your visa, no cc upcharge for cost co.

But it's been fun following the thread for wisdom and trying to watch for dips to buy in

I couldn't find anything on Costco this morning…am I looking in the wrong place? I could only find a Gold Maple there today…
AggieT
AG
They're in and out of stock pretty regularly. It all moves fast. Just check every day or so.
FireAg
AG
Do you have to buy for your warehouse, or can you buy from any warehouse in North America?
AggieT
AG
I've just ordered through the website.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.