Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Cutting Costs - Monthly Subscriptions

26,715 Views | 247 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by Proposition Joe
RockOn
How long do you want to ignore this user?
billikenag said:

Climbing bum P&L statement.
+ backcountry ski bum, on a software engineer's salary. It's like I've glitched the matrix.
billikenag
I used to work with a mountain bum at Boy Scout Camp in the Sierra Nevadas. After camp season ended, the squares (me) would head back to college, while he would get in his Tacoma, climb Yosemite in September, Kings Canyon in October, and head down to Hueco Tanks to keep climbing when it got too cold in the Sierras. By opening day of the ski season, he'd be back at Mammoth to work and ski for the season.

He used to e-mail pics to the rest of us back in school every couple months or so of him sleeping in the bed of his Tacoma and eating hot dogs he'd heat with a blowtorch between climbs. Mountain bums are not the types to have many recurring subscription expenses.
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man.
cjsag94
AG
Who is your cell phone provider? Many Verizon plans include Disney, Hulu, ESPN. Maybe other incentive with other providers.
double aught
AG
Good thread. Putting it on my watchlist, which is the main reason I pay for one Texags star. The extra emojis are just a bonus.
Redstone
AG
- TexAgs - want the WatchList
- Substack - I like the guy, worth it to me
- Wordpress - necessary
- Hulu / Disney / ESPN + bundle - no choice and worth 20 a month
- Netflix - would like to cut, can't. By the way, they are churning now, not growing, so yearly price increases are the future
- Prime - worth it to us
- YogaGlo - depends, mostly stays cancelled
- Hello Fresh - definition of "OK." Depends, mostly stays cancelled

- Verizon and Grande - as low as they allow us. I call every quarter
- Energy - no choice
Sea Speed
AG
RockOn said:

No just a typical plan from Mint Mobile.
https://texags.com/forums/30/topics/3262361

Yea i just switched to mint yesterday. I will be saving at least $100/month between the 2 lines.
Sea Speed
AG
double aught said:

Good thread. Putting it on my watchlist, which is the main reason I pay for one Texags star. The extra emojis are just a bonus.

The watchlist is by far the #1 feature of the TA subscription. This site would be unreadable without it.
agdaddy04
AG
What's the coverage map look like? Whose towers are they using?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Mint Mobile
YouBet
AG
I want to go Mint but I'm deferring for now. I could be traveling a ton across North America in the next year and I'm going to assume they aren't compatible with that.
Sea Speed
AG
They use t mobile towers so whatever their map looks like is what mints looks like.
Sea Speed
AG
I dont know why it would be an issue as long as there is t mobile coverage.
agdaddy04
AG
Sea Speed said:

We seem to run into a lot of T Mobile dead spots out west here. Especially up and down the I-5 corridor in Washington and Oregon. Also here in Colorado.
62strat
AG
Ribeye-Rare said:

Quote:

Sirius - $6.48 (wife's commute)
How the hell are you paying only $6.48/month for that? Gimme the secret code!

It seems like my wife tags me for between $200-$300/year for that in her car. But, I don't expect her to listen to AM news/talk radio like I do so I guess it's a good 'investment', right?

Just signed up for $6/mo for 12 months today.

I haven't paid more than about that a month for over a decade. It only took that very first 'come back' deal, and now when it expires I pull open a chat and say give me that again or I'm cancelling. I've done that over and over for literally a decade, once or twice a year depending on the deal (sometimes is 5 months for $30).

AgEng06
AG
62strat said:

Ribeye-Rare said:

Quote:

Sirius - $6.48 (wife's commute)
How the hell are you paying only $6.48/month for that? Gimme the secret code!

It seems like my wife tags me for between $200-$300/year for that in her car. But, I don't expect her to listen to AM news/talk radio like I do so I guess it's a good 'investment', right?

Just signed up for $6/mo for 12 months today.

I haven't paid more than about that a month for over a decade. It only took that very first 'come back' deal, and now when it expires I pull open a chat and say give me that again or I'm cancelling. I've done that over and over for literally a decade, once or twice a year depending on the deal (sometimes is 5 months for $30).

Same here. I call every time the promo expires and tell them I want the same deal. Right now we have two vehicles at around $6/month per vehicle.
YouBet
AG
Sea Speed said:

Good to know on that. I will explore further.

I"m really, really gun shy switching mobile companies for some reason. Totally irrational. Have zero issues with changing providers on anything else in life. Lol.
62strat
AG
We have netflix at $15
disney+ bundle at $20
amazon prime at $10
amazon music at $8.
SXM at $6
MS Office at $6
Texags at $5
HBO MAX - $0 w/ ATT cell

That's about it.
I carry YTTV during the fall for sports. It will be cutoff after superbowl.

All about $70/mo. Double it when YTTV is active lol.
My wife uses here sister's Paramount log in for that.

I'm about to lose the Hulu/ESPN part of disney, I don't think I'm getting the value ($14 out of $20) out of that.

Sea Speed
AG
I'm right there with you but I figure if it sucks id be able to hop right in to a new customer price with one of the major carriers. $100/month isn't chump change. Half of that bill assuredly goes straight to marketing.
AgEng06
AG
I really want to like Mint Mobile, but the Texas coverage map versus AT&T is awful.
jtraggie99
AG
agdaddy04 said:

Sea Speed said:

We seem to run into a lot of T Mobile dead spots out west here. Especially up and down the I-5 corridor in Washington and Oregon. Also here in Colorado.
Ran into the same issue. We previously used Metro PCS, which also runs on the T-Mobile network. I had terrible coverage at my house, so a couple of years ago we switched to Verizon. It's more of course, but at least I can actually use my phone at home.
Quinn
AG
How much are y'all without cable paying for internet? Internet is only $40ish since it's bundled with UVerse for us, but if I cancelled the cable part, it would jump to $80.
jtraggie99
AG
Quinn said:

How much are y'all without cable paying for internet? Internet is only $40ish since it's bundled with UVerse for us, but if I cancelled the cable part, it would jump to $80.
How much is the cable portion of your bill? I currently pay $75 a month for internet through Spectrum.
Quinn
AG
It's approx $80 cable, $40 internet. I've looked into cancelling and getting youtubeTV, but it's cheaper to stay bundled for me.
htxag09
AG
jtraggie99 said:

Quinn said:

How much is the cable portion of your bill? I currently pay $75 a month for internet through Spectrum.

I think this is a derail and not the intended thread, though related. Cutting the cable absolutely isn't cheaper anymore. Unless you're someone who never called about your bill or you're someone who truly cancels 9 months out of the year.

My U-verse internet is around $40 (1000 mbps). My tv is roughly $80 (U300). So all in I'm just under $125 with taxes and fees. Probably switching to xfinity and similar internet and cable all in is $180. But by having xfinity Internet I can get their mobile for $80/month for two lines.
62strat
AG
I pay $70/mo for comcast 100mbps
EliteZags
AG
AggieFrog said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Why does anyone need news subscriptions?

Paywalls, better content, and believe in supporting quality journalism are my reasons.

lololol

a fool in his money are soon parted
Sea Speed
AG
I pay $60/ month for frontier fiber gig speed
EliteZags
AG
Deputy Travis Junior said:

I tried to cancel Hulu, but my wife told me I couldn't because her mom uses it.

I may downgrade to the cheaper ad-supported tier when she's not looking.
tell her Hulu actually does allow women to subscribe
YouBet
AG
I'm getting hosed on internet I see. I'm paying $95.50 for AT&T Gig.

Guess I'll be calling them.
mosdefn14
AG
1) WSJ is free (or basically free) through most companies, assuming you work for a big one. I can't imagine paying for it, but also can't imagine not having it. Only news I'll read, other than F16...

2) I don't count Amazon prime, just like I don't count Sam's or Costco. I find ~$100 of annual value in the shopping service. Same day/next day is pretty clutch and prevents impulse buys / $100 Target charges when we only needed 1 item. Anything else (music, cloud storage, video) is lagniappe. Plus they very infrequently have anything worth watching IMO.

3) It was cheaper (and easier) for us to keep our DirecTV bundled with ATT internet ($100ish/month combined) than to pay for unlimited internet + more streaming/internet TV packages.

4) We had the Netflix discussion last night. My wife was pretty firm on keeping it, apparently the kids favorite 7-12 minute shows are all on there. $14/m or whatever it is going to is cheaper than paying the neighbor kid $10/hr as a "mommys helper" a few times each week.

5) Disney is hard to cut. The kids love doing "movie night" once or twice a month, and Disney movies (classics mostly) are far superior to anything on NFLX or AMZN.
Stive
AG
I need to get HBOMax adjusted. I've got ATT for cell service and im paying $15 or so for HBO Max separately.

If I have ATT should I also be getting Max for free (rolled in)?
htxag09
AG
I think it depends on the plan you have
YouBet
AG
Stive said:

I need to get HBOMax adjusted. I've got ATT for cell service and im paying $15 or so for HBO Max separately.

If I have ATT should I also be getting Max for free (rolled in)?
I get it "free" with my internet which probably explains my $95 cost. Internet probably $80 without it. Ha.
TXAGFAN
AG
Not to seem cheap, but members of my family have different subscriptions and we share.

My contribution is Netflix ha.
CapCity12thMan
AG
YTTV $70
Disney+ $6
Boomerang $3. <=== cancelling in 3 months
Cozi $3
Amazon Prime $10
G Suite $6
Crashplan $20 <=== cancelling in 2 months
iCloud $10
Netflix $15
AT&T $200 <=== plan on reworking this (3 iPhones, unlimited data, device protection, etc.)

$344/month

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.