Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Cutting Costs - Monthly Subscriptions

26,698 Views | 247 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by Proposition Joe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
FYI....Hulu + Live TV also includes Disney+ and ESPN+ for $70/month. I like the service better than YTTV and they throw in the others free
YouBet
AG
1939 said:

FYI....Hulu + Live TV also includes Disney+ and ESPN+ for $70/month. I like the service better than YTTV and they throw in the others free
That's interesting. Will check that out.
YouBet
AG
1939 said:

Ran the math and switching to Hulu Live Bundle is $82.26 per month vs using YTTV at $70.35 + Disney.

However, I'm currently paying for Hulu Basic for certain shows so if I did the Hulu bundle and cancelled YTTV I would save $2.88 per month. Doesn't really move the needle so it would just be preference at that point. It would add ESPN+ obviously as well but not much on there I care about.
Ag CPA
AG
Ha, Netflix's earnings made me think of this thread.

BTW, if anyone has an Amex Platinum card you can now use the $20 monthly streaming credit for the Disney bundle, may be more attractive than the other options.
YouBet
AG
Most of you have been PM'ing incessantly wanting an update.

Headline is that I have shaved $1,466 (or $122/mo) from annual sub expenses so far totaling up the Cancelled subs below:

Monthly:
  • Apple One Premier - bundled all Apple services in April so this replaced WSJ sub in process
  • BarkBox
  • DMN
  • Hulu Basic
  • MS LinkedIn (2)
  • Netflix
  • Sirius Radio (2)
  • TexAgs.com
  • Todoist
  • YouTube TV

Semi-Annual:
  • Molekule
  • Pvolve

Annual:
  • Amazon Prime
  • Disney+
  • MS 365
  • Shred
  • Tiller

Hiatus:
  • MS GamePass - currently getting 3 mos free using MS points

Opportunities
  • BarkBox - $32.48/mo; a bit much now that we only have 1 small dog
  • Barnes & Noble - wife still has this for some reason and it snuck through. ROI is impossible to recoup so will cancel before next year.
  • Sirius - wife's promo lapsed and now paying $23/mo; Sirius website is trash and their plan options are confusing as they seem to change them frequently. Will chat to threaten cancellation and try to get it back to $5/mo.

Cancelled:
  • WSJ - $42/mo
  • Bitdefender - $50/yr
  • Wine club - $75/mo
LMCane
how does one even cut the cord on the streaming media services?

it is possible to do from my desktop computer?

need to drop ESPN soon as well
YouBet
AG
LMCane said:

how does one even cut the cord on the streaming media services?

it is possible to do from my desktop computer?

need to drop ESPN soon as well
Absolutely. Just log into your account at any one of their websites and you cancel or even pause your sub. Takes just a few seconds. Since they are all month to month, most people will activate and reactivate throughout the year to align it with certain shows, sports seasons, etc.

I haven't been disciplined enough yet to do the latter.
KoolHandLuke
This is a terrifying idea- I think I'm just going to continue to avoid acknowledging the amount I spend on these things monthly . What you don't know, don't hurt (as bad).
double aught
AG
Quote:

Most of you have been PM'ing incessantly wanting an update.
I chuckled on the inside.
jamey
AG
During covid we got more accustomed to using instacart and doordash becaise wife was high risk.

And then we kinda forgot we weren't using that before covid so we've given that up

We think its going to save a few hundred a month
Ag CPA
AG
If you are still interested in the WSJ they are constantly advertising a $4/month special (I think someone else above mentioned this); I dropped my subscription last month but will probably get back in at some point and just churn their promos.
YouBet
AG
Ag CPA said:

If you are still interested in the WSJ they are constantly advertising a $4/month special (I think someone else above mentioned this); I dropped my subscription last month but will probably get back in at some point and just churn their promos.

They would only offer me half off for six months which is still more expensive than just getting it through Apple News. The latter being probably the best deal out there for news. $10.81/month for WSJ and about 30 other publications to boot.

The only annoying thing I've found so far is that the notifications from the WSJ app (still get notifications even though I'm not subscribed) are slightly different than the notifications I get from WSJ via Apple News. The former are more relevant to my interests. The latter sends me more of their fluff articles and there is no way to change that algorithm.
YouBet
AG
Of note, on the Apple News sub...it doesn't get you every article published daily to WSJ. It's only a partial subscription in reality. I'm not sure how they determine which articles Apple gets access to with WSJ, but buyer beware if you are wanting full access to WSJ. Assume this applies to all other papers/magazines as well.

Also, AT&T (as is typical of their thieving ways) snuck in a 14% increase last month to our mobile plan. Zero communication or notification of this.
Malibu
Judging by the stars it looks like you forgot about Texags.
YouBet
AG
Malibu2 said:

I debate that one daily.
YouBet
AG
Malibu2 said:

TexAgs Premium just went up by 15%!
YouBet
AG
Disney+ just lost $1.5B last quarter. Accordingly, they basically replaced current subs as an Ad based sub and to get no ads you will take a 38% price increase as of December.

Good lord.
Eliminatus
AG
KoolHandLuke said:

This is a terrifying idea- I think I'm just going to continue to avoid acknowledging the amount I spend on these things monthly . What you don't know, don't hurt (as bad).

You are not the only one.
YouBet
AG
Eliminatus said:

KoolHandLuke said:

You are not the only one.
I set up a Subscriptions tab in my Tiller software to track it. We have subscriptions across the following Categories:

• Streaming services
  • Gaming/Social
  • Reading
  • Food/Wine clubs
  • Health
  • Home maintenance subs
  • Petcare
  • Productivity
  • Professional Services

Total annual spend around $13K which is insane. Almost half of that is org my wife is in though. We are going to cut that which gets us down to about $7,200 a year.

Recommend y'all track this stuff. It adds up quickly.
CS78
YouBet said:

Disney+ just lost $1.5B last quarter. Accordingly, they basically replaced current subs as an Ad based sub and to get no ads you will take a 38% price increase as of December.

Good lord.

Backlash for their stance on grooming?

My wife has been fighting me to keep disney+. Hopefully the ads will be bad enough to cancel. Im not paying more.
YouBet
AG
CS78 said:

YouBet said:

Good lord.

My wife has been fighting me to keep disney+. Hopefully the ads will be bad enough to cancel. Im not paying more.
I'm sure that's some of it but the market is also completely saturated and fragmented. Many people now paying more than they did for satellite and cable via many services vs one which was always bound to happen.
Ragoo
AG
CS78 said:

YouBet said:

Good lord.

we have Disney plus and outside of the internet talking about grooming you would never notice inside the app.
Sea Speed
AG
Yea but there is definitely some questionable stuff in some of the new content. Agree that there is nothing over the top on the app, unlike prime and Netflix.
htxag09
AG
AppleTV also increasing; I think 4.99 to 6.99
Diggity
AG
subscriber numbers actually increased, but so did the cost of the content.

Don't think "grooming" had a ton to do with it.
YouBet
AG
Re: Mobile

I changed to Mint Mobile today from AT&T. Mint starts you on a 3 month package and then you re-up from there. They are currently running a Black Friday deal where you get 3 free months if you sign up. So you get 6 months of service for price of 3.

They are already way less than half the cost of AT&T on a 1:1 basis and with this the savings are nuts. Instead of paying $800 for the next six months on AT&T we will pay $120 for Mint.

Uh, wow. Rubber will meet road on service but we are usually on wifi and their coverage map says we should be good.

Everyone should take a look as this is an easy cost reduction. And the switch takes about 5 min assuming you are on a phone that isn't more than 4-5 generations old.
Sea Speed
AG
I've been telling you to switch for months. I really doubt you will notice much, if any, service drop off.
YouBet
AG
Sea Speed said:

I've been telling you to switch for months. I really doubt you will notice much, if any, service drop off.
I know but I hate making major switches like this because something inevitably gets screwed up. They had a couple of steps missing in their transfer process that i had to figure out but it was largely seamless.
Fireman
AG
Fun thread - I may have missed it, but what do you pay for Internet / Wifi each month? Seems like that should be included.
YouBet
AG
Fireman said:

Fun thread - I may have missed it, but what do you pay for Internet / Wifi each month? Seems like that should be included.
Yeah, I haven't included "bills" to date because I consider those "fixed costs", however there is obviously opportunity there (my mobile example above being the best cost cut I've done) so I do work those on my end.

I pay $95.50 per month for Gig internet with AT&T. I could get that cheaper by downgrading my bandwidth and probably wouldn't notice the speed decrease, but if I was hesitant to jack with mobile....I'm really hesitant to change my internet.

I'm extremely gun shy jacking with network/telephony. I can look at that stuff and something changes and then I spend forever trying to get it working again.
YouBet
AG
Running update on where we are as of 11/15/2022. Grouped by Categories I have since set up once started using Tiller. Services in bold have/are taking a price increase or are about to with re-up.

Streaming Services:
  • Amazon Prime
  • Apple One Family
  • Disney+ - 38% increase for 2023!!!!!
  • Netflix
  • Sirius Radio 1 - decreased
  • Sirius Radio 2 - decreased
  • YouTube TV

Gaming/Social:
  • MS GamePass
  • TexAgs

Reading:
  • DMN - trash; need to cancel
  • WSJ - re-upped with cheaper rate
  • B&N - cancelling next re-up

Food/Wine:
  • Club membership
  • Wine Club (1) - still need to cancel

Home:
  • HVAC plan
  • Plumbing plan - need to cancel because I get this with the HVAC plan now
  • Molekule - this is a air purifier sub; dumb

Health
  • Pvolve - wife's "gym"
  • Shred - my "gym"

Petcare
  • Barkbox - monthly toy/treat sub; dumb but dog is our kid

Productivity
  • Apple Data Plan - not sure why we still have this
  • MS 365
  • Tiller

Professional Services
  • LinkedIn - wife
  • LinkedIn - me
  • Wife's professional organization - expensive and going away

Cancelled
  • AT&T Mobile
  • Bitdefender
  • Hulu
  • Todoist - started using Evernote Teams at work so no longer need
jamey
AG
Buy a small AC and heater to run in living room during the day.
BlueTaze
Delete your TA subscription until the unreasonable baning is fixed.
jamey
AG
My annual energy contract expired right at peak cost this summer and my cost per kilowatt doubled from 9 to 18 cents. Just paid $160 to cancel and get a new contract at 12.5. Still high but will save close to $100 a month
JSKolache
AG
YouBet said:

Good lord.
Ha, thats cable tv model. You will pay us $150 dollars so we can show you commercials all damn day. And you will enjoy it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.