Spurs wanting a new stadium? (Again)

8,128 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by Obi Wan Ginobili
OilFieldIRI
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
I was just in Phoenix for business and attended the World Series and Spurs vs. Suns game in downtown. Now that is a easy and fun way to watch a game. Great food and bars, open game watching pavilion, easy parking. That is what San Antonio needs for their professional sports teams.
Burdizzo
AG
If this happened, I would support a new stadium for the Spurs.

OilFieldIRI
S
That's classic.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
They need to make Fred's Fish Fry a main concession in their new arena. Imagine no lines and being able to buy crack at a game.

Person Not Capable of Pregnancy
Burdizzo
AG
Burdizzo said:

I think by the time it comes to fruition we will have one foot out the door, so I don't care too much either. My guess is in the area between Fox Tech and the new Frost building. That area doesn't have a lot of buildings, is right next to the new San Pedro Creek trail and probably where Graham Weston wants it, near his building.

Sounds like this is the spot saved for the Missions' new baseball stadium

$160 Million for about 7500 seats. What a bargain.

https://sanantonioreport.org/new-downtown-missions-ballpark-would-cost-160m-but-officials-say-it-pays-for-itself/
Ginormus Ag
AG
Absolutely! But the Fred's Fish Fry logo needs to be bigger. Hopefully Murf's Better Burger can be the named sponsor on the court.
Burdizzo
AG
Ginormus Ag said:

Absolutely! But the Fred's Fish Fry logo needs to be bigger. Hopefully Murf's Better Burger can be the named sponsor on the court.

Here is what I want in a baseball stadium. Ivy Taylor's likeness mowed into the grass with a trolley car on the outfield wall that goes back and forth whenever there is a home run. I also want a Nelson Wolff fathead on the outfield fence that says "Hit It Here" with arrow pointing to the bridge of his nose. Every gets a free churro if the ball hits his face.
AgCat93
AG
GCRanger said:

They never should have moved to the current location. The old HemisFair Arena was a great location, and even them playing in half the Alamo Dome wasn't awful. It was nice to be able to go downtown, go out to eat, go to a game, and have some entertainment afterward.

I'm all for them moving back downtown but not at tax payer expense.

Hemisfair had to be demolished. Rumor was major structural issues with the roof and supports. That was kept amazingly quiet.
Burdizzo
AG
Burdizzo said:

Burdizzo said:

I think by the time it comes to fruition we will have one foot out the door, so I don't care too much either. My guess is in the area between Fox Tech and the new Frost building. That area doesn't have a lot of buildings, is right next to the new San Pedro Creek trail and probably where Graham Weston wants it, near his building.

Sounds like this is the spot saved for the Missions' new baseball stadium

$160 Million for about 7500 seats. What a bargain.

https://sanantonioreport.org/new-downtown-missions-ballpark-would-cost-160m-but-officials-say-it-pays-for-itself/

Bye bye, Soap Factory Apartments. I am guessing that will be parking for the baseball stadium, or maybe a downtown Chilis.

https://sanantonioreport.org/san-antonio-approves-baseball-stadium-plan-and-500000-relocation-package/

newbie11
I don't care if the spurs get another stadium as long as I don't have to pay a dime for it.

Lived here my entire life (class of '85) and been to maybe 2-3 games total and watched another dozen or two on tv during the playoffs.

Obi Wan Ginobili
newbie11 said:

I don't care if the spurs get another stadium as long as I don't have to pay a dime for it.

Lived here my entire life (class of '85) and been to maybe 2-3 games total and watched another dozen or two on tv during the playoffs.

SBC/ATT/Frost Center was funded/built from an increase in taxes on things like hotels and rental cars, things that typically only impact tourists, so you can put this argument to rest.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.