Meet the leader of Aggieland Chevrolet

14,272 Views | 120 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by PrestigeWorldwideAg12
texsn95
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Dogdoc said:

My problem with your dealership is as follows:
Daughter totaled her car in the spring of her freshman year at TAMU 2022. I found a used Elantra on your website and drove 120 miles mid week to buy it after working out the details online. Sitting down with the finance guy, I found about three thousand dollars worth of dealer add ons that I didnt want and were not disclosed previously. Finance guy said tough. You had us over a barrel and you knew it. I bit the bullet, because she needed transportation. I don't care how popular you are on here. Your dealership sucks.

ETA. This is for Flatout. College Station Hyundai.

Bump for flatout response.

And **** keating, will never again step foot in one of those stealerships.
Motot
AG
My dad and mom had a 2010 Rav4 that they bought from their Alvin Toyota dealership.

In 2024, my dad buys a new Rav4 from a dealership in Kansas (to avoid dealing with Gulf States Toyota).

Goes to sell said 2010 Rav4. Gets a CarFax report during a potential sell to a dealer, finds that the CarFax has years worth of oil changes and maintenance.

What's the problem with that?

My dad does his own oil and maintenance, never took it to Keating. Further, the mileage on the CarFax reports higher than the car actually had.

Keating had been entering under the VIN maintenance trips for 14 years. Presumably billing Toyota for included oil changes via a new vehicle purchase.

When confronted with reporting them to Toyota and the State AG, the response was as follows:

"We have found that there are 2 Rav 4's with the same VIN with the exception of 1 digit. The last 8 are the same, we have never encountered this issue before but we will get with Carfax to correct the issue. We will do everything in our power to correct this as soon as possible. It was not intentional, we typically use the last 8 of each VIN for work performed, in this case they are identical."

ElephantRider
AG
The hate for Keating is one of the few universal things on TexAgs.

**** Keating
Ogre09
AG
My big issue is that the whole process I feel like I'm about to get screwed over. There isn't any other buying experience where I feel like that. Buying a house doesn't feel like that. But buying a car from a dealer I have to remain hyper vigilant throughout the entire process and watch out for the smiling back stab that is inevitably coming. Because inevitably they're going to try to slip something in on me to up the purchase price. Some dealers are better than others and some employees are better than others. But by and large they're lying sacks of **** and I walk away feeling dirty.
BlueMiles
AG
In-credible!
BiggiesLX
That's bc selling cars isn't a novel concept so they have to throw in sh** and be deceiving to make money. Time to buy straight from manufacturers or used private party.
ElephantRider
AG
Ogre09 said:

My big issue is that the whole process I feel like I'm about to get screwed over. There isn't any other buying experience where I feel like that. Buying a house doesn't feel like that. But buying a car from a dealer I have to remain hyper vigilant throughout the entire process and watch out for the smiling back stab that is inevitably coming. Because inevitably they're going to try to slip something in on me to up the purchase price. Some dealers are better than others and some employees are better than others. But by and large they're lying sacks of **** and I walk away feeling dirty.

Car salesmen are the scum of the earth, with a few exceptions
LCE
AG
Yep. I hate them. Last time I did Carmax. Out in 30 minutes.
AgResearch
AG
highpriorityag said:

Those quotes are flatout damning!
Dill-Ag13
AG
In, love to see it…
RafterAg223
AG
Jack Cheese said:

Pre-loads like Apex are exactly the kind of thing that invite heavy handed regulation like the CARS Rule onto dealerships.

If you, FLATOUT, need a product to help locate and deter theft of your cars, awesome. By all means buy it.

If I, the consumer need the same thing, I will buy it on my own. I do not need the dealership to dictate which device and service I use by pre-installing a hard wired system. I certainly don't want to buy your device for you. That's ridiculous.

Next, you don't disclose it on your website listings of the cars. It's an unpleasant surprise 100% of the time when the consumer visits the dealership to see the car.

Lastly, we all know that this is packed-in profit that starts the baseline of the negotiation. During covid when inventories were low, dealers happily ****ed over buyers on price because you had the upper hand. Fine. It's a free market system, all that. Now that you have to sell cars at a loss, these Pre-loads pad the price in your favor and force the customer to focus on haggling at the margins.

I hope the CARS Rule comes down like a ton of bricks on Keating stores. Not because I'm a fan of government regulation. I'm not. But because you guys made your own bed and will have to lie in it. Maybe it will help level the playing field by forcing you to at least be honest about your pricing online.

I'm probably too optimistic, though.

Yeah, their online advertised price never matches what you get when you show up and sit down. Stuff like that pisses me off and also why I won't ever buy from them again. I want a fair and transparent deal. I don't want to buy the managing partner a membership at Bluejack.
ElephantRider
AG
AgResearch said:

highpriorityag said:

These guys can flatout go **** themselves
Average Joe
AG
AgResearch said:

highpriorityag said:

I'm not sure how anyone can sit there and defend the practice as "beneficial for the customer" if GM's and owners are out there bragging about how rich they are because of the product. How tone deaf do you have to be?
RafterAg223
AG
Pathetic that dealer owners are out there celebrating these things as profit centers while lots of unwitting customers get screwed over. I've bought multiple vehicles at the Ford store. The crap they tried to pull with me in the finance office on my most recent purchase guarantees that I'm leaving the market on my next purchase. I like my salesperson over there a lot, but I let them know about my displeasure after that ordeal. I'm all for everyone making lots of money until the point you try to make money by trying to take advantage of me at the last minute. And no, Mr. Hyundai, it shouldn't be up to the customer to speak up and get these things removed. You and your dealer buddies should offer all these things separately and let the customers decide what they want.
chap
AG
I bought a car at Gullo in Conroe today. When I was talking to the sales guy I asked if they added any extras like Apex or anything like that. He laughed and said "You've been across the street to Keating I see".

Even up to the very end they never tried to add anything. Very good process.
kubiak03
AG
https://www.carpro.com/blog/car-dealer-fined-a-whopping-2.6-million-dollars?utm_campaign=Weekly%20Newsletter&utm_medium=email&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-_-owI3lgU99B1qXG8SZfFtEY7LNKLgm3-50rSstZh_DKIIUaR53_fR-I5wFRHcl-I7nj7nQJW7D6ub_5sOq2k40U7Ptg&_hsmi=321446062&utm_content=321446062&utm_source=hs_email

wonder if they need to pucker up a bit
maroon barchetta
Guys, it was a total 1-in-eleventy billion fluke with the VIN numbers! It's the only time it's ever happened in history.
rancher1953

fixer
FLATOUT said:

Chewy said:

I'm curious if Aggieland Chevrolet pre-installs Apex Protect on every vehicle.

For the benefit of the customer, of course.

Damn near every dealer in the US installs some sort of theft recovery device the minute a new or used vehicle gets put on their lot.
I don't believe this is true based on recent personal experience. I have two new toyotas within two years of each other, same dealer, and neither had apex or any other system pre installed.
texsn95
AG
^ Yep, that's total bull*****
agracer
AG
lb3 said:

We can respect flatout's car collection without respecting how he earned that money.
huh?

I have these awesome cars I purchased with money I scammed out of others.

You cool with that?
agracer
AG
Motot said:

My dad and mom had a 2010 Rav4 that they bought from their Alvin Toyota dealership.

In 2024, my dad buys a new Rav4 from a dealership in Kansas (to avoid dealing with Gulf States Toyota).

Goes to sell said 2010 Rav4. Gets a CarFax report during a potential sell to a dealer, finds that the CarFax has years worth of oil changes and maintenance.

My dad does his own oil and maintenance, never took it to Keating. Further, the mileage on the CarFax reports higher than the car actually had.

Keating had been entering under the VIN maintenance trips for 14 years. Presumably billing Toyota for included oil changes via a new vehicle purchase.

When confronted with reporting them to Toyota and the State AG, the response was as follows:

"We have found that there are 2 Rav 4's with the same VIN with the exception of 1 digit. The last 8 are the same, we have never encountered this issue before but we will get with Carfax to correct the issue. We will do everything in our power to correct this as soon as possible. It was not intentional, we typically use the last 8 of each VIN for work performed, in this case they are identical."

BS.

The last 6 digits are a unique identifier for every vehicle made.
agracer
AG
Every vehicle sold today has some kind of alert or red button to call emergency services or police and THEY HAVE A GPS ALREADY INSTALLED.

GM has ON STAR
Toyota/Lexus have Safety Connect
Honda has HondaLink
Ram has RAM Connect
etc.

their is ZERO need for APEX to recover a vehicle that already has a GPS tracker system installed.
Average Joe
AG
There is zero need for the customer, but owners and GMs need more sports cars and vacation homes.
ElephantRider
AG
Has Keating cancelled this TexAgs sponsorship deal yet? Can't imagine why they would stick around after all of this.
lb3
AG
agracer said:

lb3 said:

We can respect flatout's car collection without respecting how he earned that money.
huh?

You cool with that?
On a large site like this it's difficult to keep track of who is on the naughty list and having some self appointed individuals playing bouncer risks ruining the forum. I prefer to let each poster's contributions to a thread stand alone from their other posts.

Now when it comes to who I invite to happy hour or over to watch a game, yes character matters.

But if we're being 100% honest, I think we all make exceptions in our personal lives for people who are current or recovering addicts, crappy husbands or wives, or engage in questionable employment like private security contractors and yes, perhaps even the occasional car salesmen.

And I hope you didn't put a diamond on your wife's hand lest you subsidize the abuse of the enslaved diamond miners who dug up that blood diamond. Or what about the precious metal miners who raped the earth to make your Dewalt cordless impact driver?

We'll all be cancelled if we require 100 fealty to whoever screams the loudest on any given day.
txyaloo
AG
agracer said:

Motot said:

BS.

That's not true for all manufacturers. BMW has been re-using the last 7 on new cars since 2019. I would imagine other manufacturers are doing the same.
agracer
AG
txyaloo said:

agracer said:

Motot said:

BS.

That's not true for all manufacturers. BMW has been re-using the last 7 on new cars since 2019. I would imagine other manufacturers are doing the same.
Did not know that. However, each BMW now has a unique 17 digit vin. So the last 7 may be the same on two cars, but the entire VIN is not.

In the example of the RAV4, Toyota, as far as I can find, was not reusing VIN's and certainly not the same VIN on the same model years sold at the same dealership.
agracer
AG
lb3 said:

agracer said:

lb3 said:

huh?

You cool with that?
On a large site like this it's difficult to keep track of who is on the naughty list and having some self appointed individuals playing bouncer risks ruining the forum. I prefer to let each poster's contributions to a thread stand alone from their other posts.

Now when it comes to who I invite to happy hour or over to watch a game, yes character matters.

But if we're being 100% honest, I think we all make exceptions in our personal lives for people who are current or recovering addicts, crappy husbands or wives, or engage in questionable employment like private security contractors and yes, perhaps even the occasional car salesmen.

And I hope you didn't put a diamond on your wife's hand lest you subsidize the abuse of the enslaved diamond miners who dug up that blood diamond. Or what about the precious metal miners who raped the earth to make your Dewalt cordless impact driver?

We'll all be cancelled if we require 100 fealty to whoever screams the loudest on any given day.
That's a good point. I guess when it's far away (halfway across the world) it's easier to disconnect vs right in our faces.
aggies4life
AG
Hopefully things change for the better!

txyaloo
AG
agracer said:

txyaloo said:

agracer said:

Motot said:

BS.

Did not know that. However, each BMW now has a unique 17 digit vin. So the last 7 may be the same on two cars, but the entire VIN is not.

In the example of the RAV4, Toyota, as far as I can find, was not reusing VIN's and certainly not the same VIN on the same model years sold at the same dealership.
Don't all "modern" cars have unique 17 digit vin? Only mentioned it because most folks don't know manufacturers reusing partial vins is a thing these days.
TxAg20
AG
Looking at my VINs, most end with 6 digits and 2 end with a letter followed by 5 digits. In a world of only 6 digits, you only get 1 million combinations (000000-999999), so there are absolutely duplicates of the last 6 digits of VINs. When you add the possibility of the first character being a letter or a number, you get to 3.6 million combinations. I'm not defending dealers at all as I share a lot of the frustrations of this thread, but it is feasible, and statistically likely, to have duplicate last 6 of a VIN.

If the vehicle you're buying is available at multiple dealers, work out a deal via phone and/or email and have the vehicle delivered to you. The driver or delivery guy is not a salesman or a finance manager and has no interest in screwing you or upselling you. They just want the required papers signed as fast as possible so they can get down the road. I know vehicle selection has been thin since covid, but I think that's starting to change. I'll gladly pay $1,000 more to close a deal in 10 minutes in my driveway versus waiting 30 minutes to sign with finance manager just to spend another 30 minutes negotiating the $300 nitrogen out of my new vehicle tires.
CashinOut
AG
ElephantRider said:

Has Keating cancelled this TexAgs sponsorship deal yet? Can't imagine why they would stick around after all of this.

And end threads like this?!? I hope not!!!!
agracer
AG
txyaloo said:

agracer said:

txyaloo said:

agracer said:

Motot said:

BS.

Don't all "modern" cars have unique 17 digit vin? Only mentioned it because most folks don't know manufacturers reusing partial vins is a thing these days.
The first 9 letters/numbers used to be mostly the same based on the manu. 10 and 11 were supposed to be the model year and 12-17 were a unique number.

As I understand, it's now possible to have the same last 6 numbers as an earlier car since they've run out of numbers..

The claim above was that two 2010 RAV4's had the same last 6 digits. That wasn't a thing in 2010. No one was re-using numbers at the end like now and NFW the same dealer sold a RAV4 in 2010 with the same last 6 digits.
rancher1953
Straight from the Keating Dealerships web site. They are out to screw you, BOHIC if you do business with them.

On top of the 30 dealerships, Keating Auto Group consists of an insurance company, Apex Protection, an advertising agency, Tropacaval Media and Viper Exchange. ViperExchange.com is where we sell all of our Vipers. We've been the top volume Viper dealer in the nation for the last several years.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.