Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Buying physical gold/silver

320,244 Views | 2158 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by Red Pear Realty
maddiedou
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
CAPORAL said:

Some pre '65 quarters and some early '70 dollars. Eisenhower, perhaps.

Your eisehowers are only worth a 1.00 you may can get 1.25/1.50 no demand or collectability I sold aome 70s proofs Eisenhower on an auction for somebody and they brought 2.50 each at auction
Bourbon Junkie
maddiedou said:

CAPORAL said:

Some pre '65 quarters and some early '70 dollars. Eisenhower, perhaps.

Your eisehowers are only worth a 1.00 you may can get 1.25/1.50 no demand or collectability I sold aome 70s proofs Eisenhower on an auction for somebody and they brought 2.50 each at auction

Unless, of course, his Eisenhowers contain silver Most don't but you got to check them.

The weight of the coin and/or the edge can help you figure it out (google for more details).
Bourbon Junkie
CAPORAL said:

I'm looking for a website that will tell you approximate values for some coins I have. Any suggestions?

NGC and PCGS are pretty good resources
Bourbon Junkie
A company in Dallas called Dillon Gage buys junk/scrap gold and silver at their refining facility. They pay 98% and 95% for gold and silver, respectively.

Has anyone ever used a company like this to sell their junk/scrap? Anyone got a better option?
CC09LawAg
What are everyone's thoughts on keeping copper as part of your portfolio as well? Seems to carry a good amount of actual utility in today's world rather than being seen as a form of currency.
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
mwp02ag
AG
That's shipping tho
Post removed:
by user
CC09LawAg
Out of curiosity, what is considered "stacking"? I intend for precious metals to be a 5-10% portion of my savings. I have multiple safes and plenty of places to squirrel things away.

I guess I ask because it seems like a very accessible market with a lot of utility.
maddiedou
AG
Stacking is the rich mans version of hoarding with value

Whatever precious metal you choose
Post removed:
by user
CC09LawAg
Thanks. I guess I underestimated just how much cash people park in this. In my head I couldn't fathom ever having $50k in precious metals at my house but I am sure there are some that do...that is why the quantity of copper didn't seem like a big deal to me, but can understand if you're doing it at that level the concerns.
maddiedou
AG
My good buddy and the one who taught me about coins had over $50,000 just laying around on his floors

And I never got to see his safety deposit boxes but 4 of them were full of high dollar coins

He died sept 23 and both kids are in a good situation now except they have to sell everything probably $100,000 of just gold and old coins this is not what is in their safety deposit boxes

I am trying to help them grade and divide but I would not wish this on anybody and I hope that my death is not sudden so that I can sell before I die or at least grade and divide
Post removed:
by user
Ted Lasso
AG
APMEX has a nice cyber Monday deal on cast poured kilos. $1.49 over spot per ounce.
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
Rick Burns
AG
What's the consensus on New Hampshire or Utah Goldback Notes?
Post removed:
by user
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
FAT SEXY said:

More happenings on the Gold front in the Eurosphere. Ireland added 2 tons to their reserves. First time they've added since 2009

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-12-01/irish-central-bank-makes-first-reserve-gold-purchases-since-2009

Damn. I wish I could buy two tons of gold.
maddiedou
AG
You could if you had other peoples money
Cowman1
Where is the best place to buy silver in bars or coins in the San Antonio area? What to purchase for the kids. Thanks
Aggiemike96
AG
I'm not familiar with the SA coin/PM market. What are you looking to buy? Bullion? Coins? Numismatics?

I'm collecting the Perth Lunar Series (silver). Trying to gather all the coins for birth years. Da** Tiger making this expensive as her round #2 is next year!
Cowman1
Those coins are really nice. Just looking for plain ole coins or bars. I don't know anything about collecting its just that I have always admired silver. Thanks
Post removed:
by user
Cowman1
Thanks, will try that.
maddiedou
AG
Text or email I may can help you with buying and some coin advice before you buy coins ebay is not your friend for price checking

Gdogprop@gmail.com
979-eight two o-l87o. Gary
mwp02ag
AG
I'm in SA but always buy from Texas Precious Metals in Shiner. Aggie owned and their Texas collection coins are pretty cool gifts.
oklaunion
Silver at $21.99 as I type. Apmex has generic rounds for $25.
Burnsey
AG
So I'm new to this. I'm seeing markups on American Silver Eagle 1oz at 40%+! Is that normal? Wtf. How can buy these without a ridiculous premium?
Outdoorag011
It's normal for today's world. Pre covid the premiums were much much lower. I was buying generic silver rounds for .29 cents over spot. Now most generic stuff is $3-6 over spot. Don't buy agles right now. They aren't worth the premium.
Aggiemike96
AG
Silver spot price is dipping again today. Might have to pull the trigger on more bullion.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.