BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2024)

488,992 Views | 2155 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by FlyRod
PS3D
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Captn_Ag05 said:

I hope Anchor Bar does well. I worry about that location for them.

What's wrong with the location? Johnny Carino's was a victim of a shrinking chain, not that location. The location lasted a long longer than most of their other restaurants.
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
PS3D said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

What's wrong with the location? Johnny Carino's was a victim of a shrinking chain, not that location. The location lasted a long longer than most of their other restaurants.

bushytailed
AG
As a former Austinite, I have been waiting 16 long years for a Pluckers here. Went yesterday and it was everything I remembered. Mac and cheese with ranch seasoning was great as always. Mangonera and spicy garlic parm sauces were perfect. Somehow I forgot about the holy mac but will be sure to order on my next visit. Only critique was the small draft beer selection but it looks like they have a decent can/bottle selection. Looked at the cocktail menu and saw that their Bloody Mary comes with a wing and bacon.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Harvey doesn't draw the interest it used to, it doesn't seem
BlueMiles
AG
That blue building at the corner of Elm and Texas, across the street from the Villa Maria HEB (also across the street from the new Drew's car wash), has a "for lease" sign in front of it now. I thought this was to be torn down to make room for a "Salad and Go."
maroon barchetta
Captn_Ag05 said:

Harvey doesn't draw the interest it used to, it doesn't seem

I avoid Harvey as much as possible.
Hornbeck
AG
Only time I drive on it is to go to Spec's
AggieAces06
AG
BlueMiles said:

That blue building at the corner of Elm and Texas, across the street from the Villa Maria HEB (also across the street from the new Drew's car wash), has a "for lease" sign in front of it now. I thought this was to be torn down to make room for a "Salad and Go."

The Salad and Go is up and running where the Kettle used to be.
halibut sinclair
AggieAces06 said:

BlueMiles said:

Supposed to be a Bryan Salad and Go also.
BlueMiles
AG
AggieAces06 said:

BlueMiles said:

Here's where the Bryan one was initially mentioned:

https://texags.com/forums/35/topics/3353147/replies/64524882

https://texags.com/forums/35/topics/3353147/replies/64525153

Brook Dryden
AG
Howdy! My name is Brook Dryden, and I'm a Life and Arts reporter for Texas A&M's student newspaper, the Battalion. I'm currently in the process of writing a story on the reopening of La Bodega. I was curious if anyone on here ate at the original La Bodega and wanted to tell me their thoughts on the reopening of the restaurant. If you'd like to help with the story and don't mind telling me your first and last name, you can email me BrookDryden@tamu.edu. Thank you so much!
AggieAces06
AG
Oops!!! I didn't read close enough! My bad!
PS3D
According to TDLR Tabs, a location of FloorCo will go in just north of Cooper's and according to CSTX New Development, First National Bank of Central Texas will build a bank and office building (three stories) just north of Gringo's.
maroon barchetta
I don't understand the proliferation of brick and mortar bank locations in this area.
Hornbeck
AG
maroon barchetta said:

I don't understand the proliferation of brick and mortar bank locations in this area.

Directly proportional to chicken places and nail salons.
MS08
AG
maroon barchetta said:

Vera Bank is set to do another branch building as well and another bank has plans to do one as well. Of course Brenham National has there south CS one looking to open towards end of 2024.
woodiewood
PS3D said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

That's a great location. Carino's was packed much of the time and a long wait on weekends. When the managment decided to not care about quality service, this restaurant when down fast. As stated above, it was about the time that the whole chain was crashing.

It was one of our favorite places to eat.
ElephantRider
AG
maroon barchetta said:

I've lived here three years and have literally been inside of a bank one time.
Rex Racer
AG
I was similar, but I now go to the bank every few months looking after my Dad's accounts.
Costa and Andreas
FWIW owning businesses we are at the brick and mortar at least 4 or 5 times a week dropping off deposits or picking up change orders.
maroon barchetta
I understand that need. I'm not sure it necessitates the number of new banks we have seen in recent years.

That big one at 6 and 2818/Emerald Parkway would be a great location for a restaurant.
snaglepuss
You know double dipping is going on in there...
EriktheRed
AG
maroon barchetta said:

That big one at 6 and 2818/Emerald Parkway would be a great location for a restaurant.

I always dreamed of opening a fun seafood joint there, with a big deck/dock over the pond.
ElephantRider
AG
Costa and Andreas said:

FWIW owning businesses we are at the brick and mortar at least 4 or 5 times a week dropping off deposits or picking up change orders.

Is the goal for each business owner to have their own private bank location?
PS3D
The closed "University Inn" on Texas Avenue (B) is reopening soon as "Cosmic Suites". Doesn't look like much of an upgrade.
Costa and Andreas
ElephantRider said:

Costa and Andreas said:

Is the goal for each business owner to have their own private bank location?

I can't imagine that it would lol be but I of course can't speak for each business owner either.
BiochemAg97
AG
PS3D said:

The closed "University Inn" on Texas Avenue (B) is reopening soon as "Cosmic Suites". Doesn't look like much of an upgrade.

They completely gutted all the rooms (including the windows/doors on the front of the units) and redid them. Don't think the floor plan (size of rooms) changed, but new interiors should be nicer.

I have no idea what the interiors looked like before or what the new interiors look like, just have watched for the last year? As they did it.
trouble
AG
The new shipwreck is open
maroon barchetta
trouble said:

Approach from the west if you want to be able to get there.
MiMi
S
trouble said:

Is the menu and food quality the same as the old location? We were regulars years ago but then the quality really seemed to go downhill. What is the must have item on their menu? The owners used to be neighbors and would love to support them again.
TyHolden
AG
this is before my time in bcs but good to know...

trouble
AG
No idea. I'm not likely to go.
Anonymous Source
S
ScottishFire said:

I tried out Wild Pita today, and it was really good and reasonably priced for the portion.
The serving style is like chipotle, and the food is similar to cava but better. They have bowls, salads, pitas, or wraps (like a burrito).

Would recommend

Any difference between it and domesticated pita?
Gig 'Em
Captn_Ag05
AG
More gamey tasting
maroon barchetta
Free range pitas.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.