*** The Concert Thread ***

218,872 Views | 2405 Replies | Last: 27 sec ago by 62strat
62strat
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just got home from Devin Townsend. Man I wish he wasn't an opener. He needs to come back headlining.
An hour isn't enough.

Aggie87
AG
62strat said:

Just got home from Devin Townsend. Man I wish he wasn't an opener. He needs to come back headlining.
An hour isn't enough.

If go see him in a minute if he were touring solo/headlining.

Have no interest in Dream Theater whatsoever though.
62strat
AG
Aggie87 said:

62strat said:

An hour isn't enough.

If go see him in a minute if he were touring solo/headlining.

Have no interest in Dream Theater whatsoever though.
It's $40; worth it to see him and leave, which is what I did.

Actually kind of nice getting home at 9:30.
Wicked Good Ag
Tears for Fears in Woodlands tonight

Should be hot as hell and will be somewhat tough for me to see based upon circumstances but will hopefully end up be a good evening for me in the long run
maroon barchetta
I heard a radio spot from Toyota Center that Greta Van Fleet is headlining a show there.

Can they sell enough tickets to justify a venue of that size?
johnnyblaze36
AG
Wicked Good Ag said:

Should be hot as hell and will be somewhat tough for me to see based upon circumstances but will hopefully end up be a good evening for me in the long run
How was this? Never seen them and love a lot of their music and got offered tickets but couldn't make it.
cajunaggie08
AG
maroon barchetta said:

I heard a radio spot from Toyota Center that Greta Van Fleet is headlining a show there.

I had the exact same thought. They had a good sized crowd in Sugar Land 4 years ago but I didn't think they grew their fan base enough in that time to make the jump to Toyota Center. Per the ticket sales site, a lot of the lower bowl and all of the floor is sold/given away while the upper sections barely have any tickets sold. A very odd situation for sure.
JamesPShelley
Vixen. Tonight.
62strat
AG
cajunaggie08 said:

maroon barchetta said:

I had the exact same thought. They had a good sized crowd in Sugar Land 4 years ago but I didn't think they grew their fan base enough in that time to make the jump to Toyota Center. Per the ticket sales site, a lot of the lower bowl and all of the floor is sold/given away while the upper sections barely have any tickets sold. A very odd situation for sure.
everytime I go to Pepsi center in denver I see the scrolling ads for concerts there and wonder the same thing. How are bands of this status playing an aRena?
recent examples; paramore, Nathanial rateliff, panic at the disco, Florence + machine, one republic, my chemical romance.

These seem like large theater bands at best.
maroon barchetta
JamesPShelley said:

Vixen. Tonight.

The people watching should be great.
WES2006AG
AG
62strat said:

cajunaggie08 said:

maroon barchetta said:

everytime I go to Pepsi center in denver I see the scrolling ads for concerts there and wonder the same thing. How are bands of this status playing an aRena?
recent examples; paramore, Nathanial rateliff, panic at the disco, Florence + machine, one republic, my chemical romance.

These seem like large theater bands at best.
I'd say about half the time these types bands come through Toyota Center they close the upper deck. Had Smashing Pumpkins tickets upstair there a few years back and they moved us downstairs the day of the concert to close the upper deck.
Bunk Moreland
Yall are shocked that those acts can still sell 10-15k seats in a major city?
jorgerr96

Paramore had the Moody Center in Austin sold out and resale for GA for their whole tour has been wild. MCR sold extremely well as well, and those prices were high. Blink 182 had sold out arenas too and a stadium in LA.

Panic did bad, i was surprised. I saw the first date last year in Austin and the upper deck was closed. Same thing for Ghost.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Marcus King killed Billy Bob's last night. Even busted out a little Texas Flood.
62strat
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

Yall are shocked that those acts can still sell 10-15k seats in a major city?
yes. paramore has a single 1x platinum album from 2007, other old albums barely gold and recent albums not even 6 figure sales. Nathaniel rateliff not even a gold record. MCR, ok they had a 4x plat record.. that's alot. albeit almost 20 years old. but they have the reunion factor going.

Florence + machine, 2 barely plat records from 15 years ago.

I didn't see anyone mention Blink 182 in this discussion, but they are certainly not surprising me they can fill an arena. They have multiple plat records, and the reunion factor, and are a legacy act at this point and nostalgia always sells well.

Bunk Moreland
I don't think you should judge ability to sell 10k seats in an arena to gold and platinum album sales in this day & age.

If Florence or Rateliff showed up near me I'd go out of my way to see them for sure. Regardless of new music released recently.
62strat
AG
do you listen to this music in some way (streaming, youtube, satellite, CD, etc?)

How much an artist is purchased/streamed I think is directly correlated to how many people show up to the show.

Does the average person attend a concert of an artist they've never listened to?
I don't know if I follow your reasoning.
KidDoc
AG
JamesPShelley said:

Vixen. Tonight.
They were great on the 80s cruise! This is one of my all time favorite pictures while we were watching another show- the current Vixen lineup minus the drummer and add in Downtown Julie Brown!

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
maroon barchetta
Friend went to Greta Van Fleet last night and says it was packed. I'm surprised.
KidDoc
AG
maroon barchetta said:

Friend went to Greta Van Fleet last night and says it was packed. I'm surprised.
I saw them last round and loved it! A FB friend posted video and they sounded great as expected.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Wicked Good Ag
johnnyblaze36 said:

Wicked Good Ag said:

How was this? Never seen them and love a lot of their music and got offered tickets but couldn't make it.
Good show

A couple of songs they played really well. Mad World I will honestly never see the sme way since Adam Lsmberts version years ago

It was hot but i thought they did a good job overall

I didnt see the opening act at all but the woman who sang a bit towrds the end of the show did a great job

It was just a tough show for me as my daughter and I were going last year to see them in Smart Financial, but she didnt fell well after her cancer treatments so we decided to postpone and she unfortunately passed a few months ago so I went alone. So it was hard fpr me for the night
Hagen95
AG
May try to get my teenage kids to go to the Danzig show coming to Texas.
62strat
AG
Hagen95 said:

May try to get my teenage kids to go to the Danzig show coming to Texas.
are you their father, or their Muthaaaa?
Know Your Enemy
AG
maroon barchetta said:

I'm not. Lots of people in this country listen to ****ty music.
WyoAgg10
AG
Was hoping to find a concert thread in here somewhere. Happy I didn't have to dig too hard. I like a wide range of music but my list would strongly suggest Texas Country. I think my 2022 list is far more representative but will be fun to follow along who everyone is seeing. Here's my list of what I've been to so far / what I have booked coming up.

1/27 - Kolton Moore and the Clever Few, Granada Theater, Dallas, TX
2/18 - Slade Coulter w/ Keller Cox, White Oak, Houston, TX
2/25 - Turnpike Troubadours w/ The Avett Brothers, American Airlines Center, Dallas, TX
3/17 - Slade Coulter, Mule Barn, Justin, TX
4/20 - Tyler Childers, Toyota Music Factory, Irving, TX
4/22 - 49 Winchester w/ Parker Ryan, Tulips, Fort Worth, TX
5/6 - Ed Sheeran w/ Khalid, AT&T Stadium, Arlington, TX
5/9 - Shane Smith and the Saints w/ Charles Wesley Godwin and Molly Tuttle, Red Rocks, Morrison, CO

Upcoming

8/3 - Kaitlin Butts w/ Angel White, Granada Theater, Dallas, TX
8/4 - Kolton Moore and the Clever Few w/ Parker Ryan, Silver Saloon, Terrell, TX
10/21 - Zach Bryan w/ Flatland Cavalry, Treaty Oak Revival, Jacob Stelly, Snook, TX
LMCane
who is going to Jason Aldean in Fort Worth later in the fall?
maroon barchetta
ZZ Top
Skynyrd
Uncle Kracker

Last night at CWM Woodlands Pavilion

Good show. Did not know Uncle Kracker at all except for thinking most of his songs were actually Kid Rock songs. His band is good.

Skynyrd surprised me. I know there is only one original member left but most of the others were not spring chickens and have been with them awhile. Those guys jammed and were a really tight unit. Very well done.

ZZ Top was what I saw in October last year. Billy is somewhat of a caricature of himself at this point and they pace some of the songs a little slower but he still makes his guitar do what we hope he will make it do.

It was freaking hot, especially with the show starting at 6:30pm. I know those old dudes had fans on the stage but they had to be sweating pretty good.
Ag MD 84
AG
8/11, Wrigley Field, Bruce Springsteen and the E-Street Band.
G.I.Bro
In August I have 2 nights of Metallica in Jerryworld, and the next weekend there is a local festival with Incubus, Third Eye Blind, Paris Jackson and a couple others. I'm debating seeing a Van Halen tribute band this weekend
WES2006AG
AG
Ag MD 84 said:

8/11, Wrigley Field, Bruce Springsteen and the E-Street Band.
I'll be there for this show as well. Saw Bruce back in February in Houston and it was fantastic. I'm really excited.
62strat
AG
the rest of my year;

Ghost / Amon Amarth 8/8
Metallica (Panter, 5FDP, Mammoth WVH) 8/18 & 8/20
Vola 9/15 (first time)
Sleep Token 9/25 (first time)
Philo B 93
maroon barchetta said:

ZZ Top
Skynyrd
Uncle Kracker

Good show. Did not know Uncle Kracker at all except for thinking most of his songs were actually Kid Rock songs. His band is good.

Skynyrd surprised me. I know there is only one original member left but most of the others were not spring chickens and have been with them awhile. Those guys jammed and were a really tight unit. Very well done.

ZZ Top was what I saw in October last year. Billy is somewhat of a caricature of himself at this point and they pace some of the songs a little slower but he still makes his guitar do what we hope he will make it do.

It was freaking hot, especially with the show starting at 6:30pm. I know those old dudes had fans on the stage but they had to be sweating pretty good.

Did it seem like ZZ Top ended very abruptly?
maroon barchetta
Philo B 93 said:

maroon barchetta said:

ZZ Top
Skynyrd
Uncle Kracker

A bit.

They were pushing towards that 11pm cutoff time. They could have fit some other songs in it Billy had not noodled around on his guitar as much and chattered about nothing in particular trying to be funny. But that's about how many songs they played in October so not surprising.

Counterpoint
AG
maroon barchetta said:

Philo B 93 said:

maroon barchetta said:

ZZ Top
Skynyrd
Uncle Kracker

A bit.

They were pushing towards that 11pm cutoff time. They could have fit some other songs in it Billy had not noodled around on his guitar as much and chattered about nothing in particular trying to be funny. But that's about how many songs they played in October so not surprising.

Do all shows at The Woodlands have to end by 11?
62strat
AG
https://www.chron.com/neighborhood/woodlands-news/article/concert-sounds-cause-concerns-in-woodlands-1823620.php

11pm curfew per this old chron article.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.