*** The Concert Thread ***

219,153 Views | 2405 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by 62strat
Aggie87
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
...and here's Charlie at 14 yrs old playing with Joe Ely.

digging tunnels
AG
WES2006AG said:

I actually got an email right at 10 that had a link that didn't need a code. Was able to score a few tickets in row 6 just to the side of the stage.

Mind sharing that code please? TIA
WES2006AG
AG
It wasn't a code, just an email with a link to the presale. I was surprised it didn't prompt me for a code at some point. It was also through AXS and not Live Nation
jorgerr96

Green Day touring, 09/10 in Austin 09/11 Dallas. Austin at Germania Amp, Dallas at Globe Life.

Austin date is one of the smaller venues on the tour (mostly MLB stadiums, SoFi Stadium in LA) and it has no Smashing Pumpkins.

Setlist should be heavy on Dookie (30 years) and American Idiot (20 years) which is what the poster is advertising. Better than the Hella Mega set!
WES2006AG
AG
jorgerr96 said:

Green Day touring, 09/10 in Austin 09/11 Dallas. Austin at Germania Amp, Dallas at Globe Life.

Austin date is one of the smaller venues on the tour (mostly MLB stadiums, SoFi Stadium in LA) and it has no Smashing Pumpkins.

Setlist should be heavy on Dookie (30 years) and American Idiot (20 years) which is what the poster is advertising. Better than the Hella Mega set!
Another tour skippin Houston. I get it, but it sucks.
Proposition Joe
jorgerr96 said:

The Hella Mega setlist was over 50% Dookie/AmericanIdiot.

I don't think you're going to be getting the deep tracks off of either album in a Green Day tour.

Jim01
AG
I don't get it. Why do we get skipped so much lately? 4th largest city in the US and we constantly get skipped for these tours.
cajunaggie08
AG
Jim01 said:

I don't get it. Why do we get skipped so much lately? 4th largest city in the US and we constantly get skipped for these tours.
For this tour, it may be as simple as the Astros are home that week they are coming through Texas. Now I don't know why NRG Stadium wasn't used instead. Seeing how its all ballparks and pavilions with the exception of LA being in a football stadium, perhaps they felt it wasnt worth booking a 70,000 seat venue when they are only expecting to need 40,000 seat venues for this tour outside of LA.
WES2006AG
AG
Jim01 said:

For whatever reason Houston just doesn't show up for a lot of these shows. There were tickets at Toyota Center on the day of the Springsteen concert last Feb for $12 upstairs while similar tickets in Austin a few days later were closer to $400. That seems to happen for a lot of shows.

My best guess is that it has to do with how spread out Houston is and how hard it is to get downtown during the week but I don't know for sure.
62strat
AG
Jim01 said:

proximity to austin, SA, and DFW. Very few tours are going to hit all 4 TX markets because, they are within ~150-200 miles of each other.

Many people in the US drive 2-3 hours to the nearest metro for a concert.
Think about California.. most tours hit 2, maybe 3.

There isn't a single FL date on this tour.. **** happens.
jorgerr96

Look at the WWWY sets, at festivals and they did some deep cuts. from AI they did Letterbomb and Homecoming, that'd be enough since they ain't getting rid of the staples. Whatshername would be a good add
jorgerr96
I've noticed a lot of BOGO deals for Houston shows all the time. Brittany Howard has one just now. I remember HAIM had BOGO there in 2018 as well.

Austin and Dallas seem to be the strongest markets now, Austin got much better once the Moody Center opened and every arena tour has a show there.

1 Day fest in Austin "Besame Mucho TX" going on sale tomorrow at $280 GA and I can guarantee you it will be sold out by 2 pm.

Austin you draw people from SA, the Valley, Mexico. Dallas dates probably draw OKC as well. IDK if Houston is a feeder market or not, but there's quite a few that skipped it this year. The 1975 and Arctic Monkeys come to mind. Personally I wasn't surprised when Metallica booked Dallas over Houston either

Completely unrelated as well, but I like comic book conventions, and Houston used to be a strong market, but ever since the city bought Comicpalooza it is now the weakest pop culture city out of the top 3. Even GalaxyCon Austin convention had more to offer and Austin is a terrible market for pop culture conventions
cajunaggie08
AG
The Moody Center opening will probably be the biggest hit to Houston getting as many arena concert stops. It used to be a tour booker had to decide between San Antonio or Houston for a second Texas tour stop if they werent going to do 3. Houston would win out a lot of the times due to its size with the assumption that San Antonio and Austin markets can decide between Houston or DFW shows. Now Austin has a brand new facility with a younger local population making tech bro money. Its a more alluring stop for musicians as well if they want to go explore the city. I'm a Houston guy and its my home and I love it, but if I were a musician doing a cross country tour, Houston would be a rest day. Plus you can continue up 35 to DFW and usually on to KC or Nashville after that. Houston is only convenient if you're making the trip down I-10 to head to New Orleans or Florida.
Proposition Joe
Moody Center is LiveNation/OakViewGroup, which was going to give it the inside track.

As long as Toyota Center is not affiliated with Live Nation, they will continue to get lower priority.
WES2006AG
AG
Proposition Joe said:

Moody Center is LiveNation/OakViewGroup, which was going to give it the inside track.

As long as Toyota Center is not affiliated with Live Nation, they will continue to get lower priority.
Hadn't considered that but that makes a lot of sense. Live Nation/Ticketmaster call the shots on a lot of these things and Toyota Center is AXS.
jorgerr96

lol I just remembered how when I used to go to shows there they would use flash seats, it never hit me that I never used the Live Nation app in there
Aggie Therapist
AG
I live 15 mins north of Moody Center. No issues from me.

Although I had to travel to Arlington for Metallica and San Antonio for rock concerts recently.

jorgerr96

Lucked out for tomorrow

62strat
AG
jorgerr96 said:

Lucked out for tomorrow

nice!

have you had a pit yet?

Can't say it's as good as the WW tour pit. This current pit is huge, and the band is circling around as you know with 4 drum kits.

If I had to do it again, I would have started near lars' first drum kit, and kinda followed the band around the stage with the drum kits, not necessarily worrying about being on the rail, but a bit back some.

We were on rail for lars' 4th spot, and honestly we didn't see the band much.
jorgerr96
Not on this, but I did 5 during the WorldWired era, the dip was my favorite spot. I've heard this snakepit has maybe 4 good spots lol.
Know Your Enemy
AG
jorgerr96 said:

Lucked out for tomorrow

If anyone deserves to win it's you.
62strat
AG
Well if they are consistent, lars' first kit will be to the left of charlie's first kit (if looking at his kit from the pit) which is also the quadrant near where Woflgang sings, and he didn't move once.

The crowd in the pit was pretty sparse in the middle of it, everyone def. concentrates to get close. So like I said, I'd start where lars first kit is, then after the first few songs and as he moves around, I'd move back towards center of cirlce and just move around as you see fit to see james or whatever.

If you stay up against the rail the whole time, you really will miss a lot of the show.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Just grabbed a ticket for Queen tonight. I know it won't be the same without Freddie but they're one of my favorites and I've never seen them.
Proposition Joe
This is when Know Your Enemy comes in and says "can you really say you are going to see Queen?".
maroon barchetta
Know Your Enemy said:

Just grabbed a ticket for Queen tonight. I know it won't be the same without Freddie but they're one of my favorites and I've never seen them.

I saw them in 2018 or so. Don't remember exactly.

It was an excellent show. Lambert has some pipes.

Their light show rivaled what I saw from Triumph back in the day, and if you know much about Triumph's light show, you know what that means.

Have fun!
Know Your Enemy
AG
Proposition Joe said:

This is when Know Your Enemy comes in and says "can you really say you are going to see Queen?".

If someone says this isn't really Queen I'm not going to argue with them. That's the difference. I recognize it for what it is.
Aggie Therapist
AG
Know Your Enemy said:

Did you go see Pantera recently as well?
Know Your Enemy
AG
Aggie Therapist said:

Know Your Enemy said:

Did you go see Pantera recently as well?

No, my good buddy Prop Joe is mocking me because I was adamant that it wasn't Pantera. But I saw the real Pantera. I never saw the real Queen. So I decided to go even if it was a glorified cover band or whatever phrase I used to describe that crap with Phil & Rex.
Aggie Therapist
AG
That's cool. I follow their IG. Still have a big following without the brothers, enough to open up for Metallica multiple days on tour. Closest thing you'll get to the real deal.
maroon barchetta
Have you ever watched or listened to the Celebration Day concert Zeppelin did in London?
Know Your Enemy
AG
maroon barchetta said:

Have you ever watched or listened to the Celebration Day concert Zeppelin did in London?

Oh yeah. Zeppelin is my all time favorite band. I tried to get tickets to that show and would have traveled to London for it. And once again I'll agree that it wasn't the "real" Zeppelin but I would have loved to have been there. Last time they toured America I think I was 5.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Aggie Therapist said:

That's cool. I follow their IG. Still have a big following without the brothers, enough to open up for Metallica multiple days on tour. Closest thing you'll get to the real deal.

I have zero problem if anyone wants to go see that show. It's just not for me. I can't watch a band called Pantera without Dime.
JamesPShelley
Hollywood Bowl, tonight.
maroon barchetta
Know Your Enemy said:

maroon barchetta said:

Oh yeah. Zeppelin is my all time favorite band. I tried to get tickets to that show and would have traveled to London for it. And once again I'll agree that it wasn't the "real" Zeppelin but I would have loved to have been there. Last time they toured America I think I was 5.

Poser

You shouldn't see Metallica either since Cliff died.

Foo Fighters? Nope

ZZ Top? Nuh-uh

Skynyrd? Please.
Another Doug
AG
Or Paul McCartney , real one died in 1966

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.