*** The Concert Thread ***

219,550 Views | 2405 Replies | Last: 8 hrs ago by 62strat
Know Your Enemy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
jorgerr96
Was able to get pit for Vampire Weekend eclipse show tomorrow. Alarm is set for 5:30 am. Hoping to be at venue by 6:30.
jorgerr96

That was really fun

New band arrangements for several songs, think the band sounds a little different compared to the 2019 Father of the Bride lineup. New stuff sounded really good.

No Hannah Hunt on the setlist
WES2006AG
AG
Damn you must have made your wake up call. That is a great spot.
jorgerr96
I appear on the stream a few times. When Ezra starts calling out the Vampire Weekend shirts he sees at the crowd he looks at mine, laughs and mentions its since I was wearing an evil Ticketmaster shirt lol
jorgerr96

Couldn't have asked for a better end of day. Super friendly guys, super chatty. Had a fun talk with Ezra about all the new arrangements and the bizarre "Cocaine Cowboys" mashup/jam/??? they played lol
jrod2181
If not allowed I will remove. Ventured over
From sneaker thread if anybody interested I have a pair of Metallica vans never worn size 1. 175 plus shipping

johnnyblaze36
AG
Hell yeah!

ETA: Tickets onsale Monday at 10 am for ten bucks. Code is 10cowboy.

https://instagr.am/p/C5qhid8LvEv
dmart90
AG
Saw the English Beat and Adam Ant last night in Austin.

The English Beat was good. Very solid performance. I forgot they were also General Public. Nice rendition of Tenderness. The sax player was very good. I miss ska.

Adam Ant started out punk and it looks like that's how he's going out. The show rocked! Two guitars, a bass, and two drummers. All the hits you'd expect, but also several deep cuts. The punk vibe was awesome, though. Gave his more pop songs an edge. Really enjoyed it!
JYDog90
AG
I just made a really dumb mistake. I bought 4 tix for the Stones at NRG in section 135 from Vivid Seats. Paid $176/ticket before fees. Get the tickets and see that they're limited and/or obstructed view. Anybody got any advice?

Signed, An Idiot
Formerly Willy Wonka
maroon barchetta
There is obstructed view at NRG?
JYDog90
AG
maroon barchetta said:

That's what I thought!

If you look at this seating chart you'll see it. I bought in 135
Formerly Willy Wonka
spadilly
S
maroon barchetta said:

lighting or sound scaffolding/rigs? maybe?
WES2006AG
AG
JYDog90 said:

I just made a really dumb mistake. I bought 4 tix for the Stones at NRG in section 135 from Vivid Seats. Paid $176/ticket before fees. Get the tickets and see that they're limited and/or obstructed view. Anybody got any advice?

Signed, An Idiot
Best bet is to try and sell them again but you will almost certainly take a loss after the secondary market takes their cut.
62strat
AG
maroon barchetta said:

at least it was noted by the seller.

Metallica at AT&T did not note any obstructed views, and there were a lot.
Another Doug
AG
JYDog90 said:

Signed, An Idiot
Monitor the resell sites during the beginning of the concert, look for a block of 4 nearby that doesn't sell by the time the opener is on, move to those 4.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Hans Zimmer Sept 8 at the Hard Rock in Miami.
jetch17
AG
Social D & Bad Religion last night in Houston

jorgerr96

Really excited for this, especially because their tour just began last week and they did some rare songs like Devil's Island!

In 2021 I had the M&G that became a Q&A and a terrible photo with the band in the background, I felt cheated. This time they sell Dave Mustaine M&Gs so I'll go for one of those, really want to get a Peace Sells or Rust in Peace record signed.
62strat
AG
oh yeh..

Goldie Wilson
Sturgill just announced for Outside Lands. I have no interest in that festival, but hoping this could be a precursor to Sturgill announcing a tour or additional dates.
digging tunnels
AG
jorgerr96 said:

Really excited for this, especially because their tour just began last week and they did some rare songs like Devil's Island!

In 2021 I had the M&G that became a Q&A and a terrible photo with the band in the background, I felt cheated. This time they sell Dave Mustaine M&Gs so I'll go for one of those, really want to get a Peace Sells or Rust in Peace record signed.

Where are you seeing Dave Mustaine M&G? According to band email, it says with "individual band member", not specifically Dave?
62strat
AG
digging tunnels said:

jorgerr96 said:

Where are you seeing Dave Mustaine M&G? According to band email, it says with "individual band member", not specifically Dave?
https://www.megadeth.com/pages/vip

this says your choice of band member
62strat
AG
and also.. very important

Quote:

Please note, if you're purchasing a Dave Mustaine Meet & Greet and your personal item is a guitar, it must be a Dave Mustaine Gibson, Epiphone, or Kramer signature model.
lol..

What.. he won't sign a KHV??
StinkyPinky
AG
62strat said:

oh yeh..

I need to give this band more attention. Should be right up my alley. Have only listened to small samples. But the appeal is clearly huge (and by folks who's taste in music I respect)
Jim01
AG

Only coming to Dallas area. If it was coming to Houston I would hit it up for sure.
62strat
AG
StinkyPinky said:

62strat said:

oh yeh..

I need to give this band more attention. Should be right up my alley. Have only listened to small samples. But the appeal is clearly huge (and by folks who's taste in music I respect)
In their world, there is Oldpeth, and newpeth.

Oldpeth is first 8 albums or so, still tons of variety with jazz, folk, progressive, but still metal (although damnation is an entire album that is chill).

Newpeth is still all of those things, but with one thing that hasn't shown its face since 2008.. death metal vocals.

So it's overwhelming to be diving into them at this point... start with.. ahh hell let me think about it.
StinkyPinky
AG
62strat said:

StinkyPinky said:

62strat said:

oh yeh..

Oldpeth is first 8 albums or so, still tons of variety with jazz, folk, progressive, but still metal (although damnation is an entire album that is chill).

Newpeth is still all of those things, but with one thing that hasn't shown its face since 2008.. death metal vocals.

So it's overwhelming to be diving into them at this point... start with.. ahh hell let me think about it.
And for whats it's worth I'm very wide and eclectic on taste. I range from The National and Gegory Alan Isokov to Meshuggah, Napalm Death, Carcass ( and lots in between).
Proposition Joe
Jim01 said:

Only coming to Dallas area. If it was coming to Houston I would hit it up for sure.

It's been a few years since I've seen Art, but when he was headlining the Summerland Tour IMO he was by far the worst of the bunch. Got a solid catalog of songs, but his voice just isn't up to snuff.
62strat
AG
StinkyPinky said:

62strat said:

StinkyPinky said:

62strat said:

oh yeh..

And for whats it's worth I'm very wide and eclectic on taste. I range from The National and Gegory Alan Isokov to Meshuggah, Napalm Death, Carcass ( and lots in between).
oh hell you like meshuggah and carcass, so you'd have no problem liking oldpeth. Most Non metalheads can't take that kind of vocal.

Start with ghost reveries then. Set aside an hour, Track 1 and hit play. That album encapsulates everything opeth can be to perfection, in my opinion. It has beauty, darkness, heavy, jazz, 70s prog rock, catchy, chill.. it has everything in that hour.

Then explore the other albums of the 2000s. That is pretty unanimously their peak decade.
Blackwater park through watershed.
Aggie87
AG
Nabbed a ticket for the Opeth show in Phx. Also noticed Jinjer is in town this Thursday, so I'm going to that as well. They rock.

I'm an old, so will likely be the old dude in the back at the Jinjer show.
Jim01
AG
Agreed. Although they put out a live album last year that was really solid. No idea how much post production it involved though
StinkyPinky
AG
62strat said:

StinkyPinky said:

62strat said:

StinkyPinky said:

62strat said:

oh yeh..

oh hell you like meshuggah and carcass, so you'd have no problem liking oldpeth. Most Non metalheads can't take that kind of vocal.

Start with ghost reveries then. Set aside an hour, Track 1 and hit play. That album encapsulates everything opeth can be to perfection, in my opinion. It has beauty, darkness, heavy, jazz, 70s prog rock, catchy, chill.. it has everything in that hour.

Then explore the other albums of the 2000s. That is pretty unanimously their peak decade.
Thnx, I'm on it.
Echoes97
AG
62strat said:

StinkyPinky said:

62strat said:

StinkyPinky said:

62strat said:

oh yeh..

This is great advice for getting into Opeth, BP to Watershed is absolute PEAK songwriting for them. I love their older stuff too, and still listen to it regularly, but once they hit BP it was like when Pink Floyd hit DSOTM. Every one of the albums from that period is absolutely incredible IMO. So many layers, textures, and nuances to the songs, doesn't get much better than them in metal (again, IMO).
Us And Them - The Pink Floyd Experience
http://www.usandthemband.net
StinkyPinky
AG
Echoes97 said:

62strat said:

StinkyPinky said:

62strat said:

StinkyPinky said:

62strat said:

oh yeh..

This is great advice for getting into Opeth, BP to Watershed is absolute PEAK songwriting for them. I love their older stuff too, and still listen to it regularly, but once they hit BP it was like when Pink Floyd hit DSOTM. Every one of the albums from that period is absolutely incredible IMO. So many layers, textures, and nuances to the songs, doesn't get much better than them in metal (again, IMO).
After my first swim through quite like it. As you mentioned tons of layers via change in time signatures, multiple genre influences, and vocals. I hear so many eclectic influences (standouts for me where Tool, King Crimson, Dream Theater, Lamb of God). Going to keep going...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.