*** The Concert Thread ***

218,847 Views | 2404 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by TXAG 05
TP Ag '87
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ditto.
BCSWguru
From the Arlington show. Packed it in there.

Blackstreet
AG
I was in the front row and sound was fine for Journey and Steve Miller Band. We could barely hear Joe Elliott on some songs for Def Leppard. Funny the guy above says he didn't know the first 5 songs of Journey, as for me it was the best 5 strong streak of their set.
1. Only the Young
2. Be Good to Yourself
3. Stone in Love
4. Ask the Lonely
5. Escape

I mean, come on. (Disclaimer I love Journey)
Ag MD 84
Ag MD 84
AG
Speaking of outdoor stadium concerts, on plane to Portland to see FooFighters and Pretenders at Providence Park.
JYDog90
AG
Blackstreet said:

I was in the front row and sound was fine for Journey and Steve Miller Band. We could barely hear Joe Elliott on some songs for Def Leppard. Funny the guy above says he didn't know the first 5 songs of Journey, as for me it was the best 5 strong streak of their set.
1. Only the Young
2. Be Good to Yourself
3. Stone in Love
4. Ask the Lonely
5. Escape

I love Journey too, however, I think that his comment was that the mix was so garbled that it was hard to figure out what it was until Arnel started singing.
Formerly Willy Wonka
gggmann
AG
Thinking about taking my daughter to see DL, Journey, and SMB at Chase Field on the 23rd. Last time I saw DL Steve Clark was still alive. Never seen Journey or SMB. Is it really Journey though if there's only 1 original member in the band?
Blackstreet
AG
Def Leppard plays with 2 "original" members. Foreigner plays with no original members. Styx with 1 original member. You're going to have a very hard time seeing bands from that era with mostly original members. Go to the concert.
Know Your Enemy
AG
There's 3 original Def Leppard members still in the band. Rick Allen didn't play on the first EP but he's been on every full length release so IMO he is absolutely an original member.
Blackstreet
AG
I would argue Jonathan Cain is an "original" member for Journey based on success with him writing and playing on most of their biggest hits. So technically they have 2 "original members". Steve Perry wasn't an original member technically but of course is considered one as above. This original member argument gets old. Enjoy the music and performance in its current form or don't. Many still do but It's ok if you don't. My point is the music and performances are still masterful in many ways and enjoyable with current members.
maroon barchetta
Neil Peart wasn't an original member of Rush. I guess everyone was seeing a tribute band for 39 of their 40 years on the road.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Know Your Enemy said:

There's 3 original Def Leppard members still in the band. Rick Allen didn't play on the first EP but he's been on every full length release so IMO he is absolutely an original member.

And Phil Collen joined during the recording of Pyromania. So not an "original" member, but there for basically all of their major success.
Maveric
AG
JYDog90 said:

Blackstreet said:

1. Only the Young
2. Be Good to Yourself
3. Stone in Love
4. Ask the Lonely
5. Escape

I love Journey too, however, I think that his comment was that the mix was so garbled that it was hard to figure out what it was until Arnel started singing.
Yes, that is what I meant.
KidDoc
AG
RIP Jack Russell of Great White-- get the tickets people!

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
DannyDuberstein
AG
He was having fun. Now he's having un-fun.

RIP.
Know Your Enemy
AG
I was shocked to hear he was in his early 60's. He looked way older than that.
maroon barchetta
Know Your Enemy said:

Hard living will do that.
KidDoc
AG
Know Your Enemy said:

yeah he moved a bit slow as well due to a combination of addiction and back injury from a fall off stage. Then he got Parkinson's.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
62strat
AG
maroon barchetta said:

Neil Peart wasn't an original member of Rush. I guess everyone was seeing a tribute band for 39 of their 40 years on the road.
this is why this argument or statement is silly. 'Original lineup' doesn't relate to 'most successful lineup' a large chunk of the time.

The pantera everyone knows and loves wasn't original members. The metallica everyone knows and loves, regardless of which bass player era, isn't original members.

This list can go on and on.

Now, when there are no members left from the bands commercial and/or critical peak, or for a more extreme example, all current members are from well after any period of success from the band, then it's def. different, and in some twisted world, maybe that's what some people mean by 'original members'. That is kind of a tribute band.

Like if Dave left megadeth and some other singer joined, and even if they released albums, you hardly have megadeth.

WES2006AG
AG
Going to see Juvenile and the 400 Degreez Band tonight at White Oak. Was originally scheduled for the lawn but got moved inside which is great news.
62strat
AG
WES2006AG said:

Going to see Juvenile
Well his name didn't age well!

More like middle aged man amiright?
Know Your Enemy
AG
Pantera is a bad example and Metallica is even worse. Kirk has been on every ****ing album so he's an "original member" and Phil Anselmo was in the band well before they released their first major label album so it's kind of dumb to not consider him an "original member" too.
WES2006AG
AG
62strat said:

WES2006AG said:

Going to see Juvenile
Well his name didn't age well!

More like middle aged man amiright?
Yea, seems quite shortsighted now that he is almost 50.
Proposition Joe
Sponge only has one original member left.
62strat
AG
Know Your Enemy said:

Pantera is a bad example and Metallica is even worse. Kirk has been on every ****ing album so he's an "original member" and Phil Anselmo was in the band well before they released their first major label album so it's kind of dumb to not consider him an "original member" too.
so you are agreeing with using the term 'original' as meaning the period when they were successful?

How about we don't use the term 'original'. Because in no world is phil an original member; they had 3 albums before phil. Same with journey and steve perry

Use the term 'classic lineup' if that's what you are trying to convey.
Pantera's classic line up is what we all know. Journey's classic line up is what we all know. Neither were comprised of all original members

Sure you have some bands that might have a member or two swap out during their successful periods, like ac/dc with bon and with Brian and their drummer and bass player. Or metallica with cliff and with jason, eagles with meisner and schmidt, and then adding walsh.
But you can differentiate those if necessary for the conversation.

and tell Dave that kirk is an original member of metallica lol. Kirk has no credits on KEA, dave has several. hell even on RTL dave still has 2 credits while kirk has just 4.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Is Randy Rhoads an original member of Quiet Riot? This argument is ****ing dumb.
62strat
AG
Know Your Enemy said:

Is Randy Rhoads an original member of Quiet Riot? This argument is ****ing dumb.
yes?

This doesn't help whatever you're trying to argue.

If they weren't part of the 'original' lineup, then they aren't original. Original members may or may not be a part of the 'classic lineup' which is the lineup most people think about of a band because at that time the band had large success.

It's really not hard.
Goldie Wilson
Know Your Enemy said:

You seem confused on what the word "original" means
Know Your Enemy
AG
You realize most bands go through lineup changes before they ever release their first album. So in your scenario someone can be on every album a band releases but still would be an original member. Seems asinine to me but then again this whole discussion is stupid.
Philo B 93
I don't care if a band only has the first cousin of the original drummer and 4 new guys under 20 years old. If they're the "official" version of the band and they sound like the record, I'm buying a ticket.

Ronnie Woodard
AG
Getting this back on track… saw Coheed and Cambria tonight in Richmond. Oh yeah, Primus was there, too. Puddles Pity Party (look him up on YouTube if you're unfamiliar) opened things up and stole the show even came back and did a cover of Holy Diver with Primus.

Perhaps the weirdest lineup I've ever personally seen but was an awesome show!

El Chupacabra
Metallica was good last night. Looking forward to one more tomorrow night.
62strat
AG
El Chupacabra said:

Metallica was good last night. Looking forward to one more tomorrow night.
I see they slimmed up their setlist by a song.

Dudes are getting old.
maroon barchetta
Blackstreet
AG
Yeah but were they original members? I kid, I kid.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.