*** The Concert Thread ***

218,880 Views | 2405 Replies | Last: 2 min ago by 62strat
WES2006AG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have a single ticket available for Vampire Weekend on 10/18 at Moody Center in Austin. It is in section 120 row D and it is the aisle seat closest to the stage.

My plans have changed and I am now going to be in Chicago that night so I can't make the show. Looking to get $100 for it which quite a bit less that I paid.

Aggie87
AG
Caught Blue October, Switchfoot, and Matt Nathanson in Phoenix on Sunday night. We went because my wife's a huge Matt Nathanson fan mostly.

Matt was actually better than I thought he'd be, for a singer/songwriter type. His band was solid and he was very engaged with the audience, and at one point hopped off the stage and walked though the entire theater, hugging and high fiving his (mostly female) fans. But he was fun.

Switchfoot was fantastic, and had a style that reminded me of U2 back before they became huge (Boy/October/War era maybe?). I know they have a Christian rock background, but none of that was on display, though the songs were all generally uplifiting. At one point Jon Foreman brought his 12 year old daughter out and sang a duet with her. She has cerebal palsy, and discussed it, then sang. She got a standing ovation.

Blue October, a Houston band, headlined on this night (I think they all rotate). They were also great live. Justin Furstenfeld is a solid frontman, and the band was tight, with a good stage show.
Ag_07
AG
Made it to Charley Crockett tonight at 713 Music Hall.

Dude is as advertised! Put on an absolute phenomenal show.

If he comes around go see him.
Wicked Good Ag
Aggie87 said:

Caught Blue October, Switchfoot, and Matt Nathanson in Phoenix on Sunday night. We went because my wife's a huge Matt Nathanson fan mostly.

Matt was actually better than I thought he'd be, for a singer/songwriter type. His band was solid and he was very engaged with the audience, and at one point hopped off the stage and walked though the entire theater, hugging and high fiving his (mostly female) fans. But he was fun.

Switchfoot was fantastic, and had a style that reminded me of U2 back before they became huge (Boy/October/War era maybe?). I know they have a Christian rock background, but none of that was on display, though the songs were all generally uplifiting. At one point Jon Foreman brought his 12 year old daughter out and sang a duet with her. She has cerebal palsy, and discussed it, then sang. She got a standing ovation.

Blue October, a Houston band, headlined on this night (I think they all rotate). They were also great live. Justin Furstenfeld is a solid frontman, and the band was tight, with a good stage show.
This is a concert I would go to but my favorite Blue October songs are not usually played on tour a couple but i like a few that arent as popular

Matt Nathanson was pretty good the one time i saw him open a concert
62strat
AG
Wicked Good Ag said:

Aggie87 said:

This is a concert I would go to but my favorite Blue October songs are not usually played on tour a couple but i like a few that arent as popular

Matt Nathanson was pretty good the one time i saw him open a concert
I went to that show a few weeks ago in denver.
I saw blue october a ton in houston back 20 years ago. Even a few times in college station in early 00s.

They don't play much off of history for sale or those early albums for sure, but man they have released some great songs apparently in the last decade or so! I lost track of them after approaching normal, but now I have several modern ones in my playlists.

Wicked Good Ag
They play Leave Room for a Miracle on tour this year

I like Driver

One of my favorites is The Chills from Any Man in America album which they typically dont play and i understand that but i am a bit surprised they dont play For the Love from same album
johnnyblaze36
AG
Ag_07 said:

Was just coming to ask if anybody saw him last night. The $10 show I saw at Longhorn Ballroom earlier this year before he launched the massive tour was incredible. Glad you enjoyed it! I'm seeing him at the outdoor Moody in Austin on Friday and can't wait.
Sazerac
AG
I saw him in Mexico in April. Thought it was a little redundant and boring for the most part. Then he brought on a horns section to change it up and it was much improved.

That was on a huge stage outdoors though. I would think he would be better in a smaller venue. Guess his days of Heights theater are over though…
cc10106
Speaking of Heights Theater, M. Ward is playing there at the end of this month. Hopefully i can make that one. He had 2 drummers when i saw him at Parish in Austin way back around '06.
johnnyblaze36
AG
Ag_07 said:

Do you recall what time Charley came on? Ticketmaster says 8 pm but Charley's website has a couple of special guests listed so I'm guessing he doesn't come until at least 9. Thanks in advance if you see this.
Aggie87
AG
Los Lobos in Phoenix last night. Man, these guys have been together 50+ years, and still sound amazing.

They played some of their better known stuff - Come On Let's Go, Will the Wolf Survive, Volver Volver, Kiko and the Lavender Moon, and of course encore'd with La Bamba.

But they had the crowd eating out of their hands and dancing in the aisles on even the lesser known songs. David Hidalgo's parents are apparently from Arizona, and his brother Joe came out and played on a couple of songs with the band, which was cool to see.

A guy named Brian Lopez opened, and his band was also good. He's the lead guitarist in Calexico, and I guess another band or two as well.
G.I.Bro
I'm seeing Plush right now after a couple of local bands opened. Holy cow these girls can wail.
johnnyblaze36
AG
Charley Crockett was a pretty disappointing experience last night. He and the band sounded phenomenal but it was my first time at Moody Amphiteater in which it was an all GA show which they way oversold.

The other two times I had been there (Billy Strings with seats and Janelle Monae in the PIT) were excellent. Managed to have a good time after fighting through 20 minute beer lines and being stuck towards the back unable to see much for most of the show.

Next time I see that there's GA only at that venue I'll either skip it or have to arrive two hours early. I'm hoping that it doesn't become a regular thing there just so they can sell as many tickets as possible.
maroon barchetta
I've skipped some shows at HOB that were GA on the floor and skipped some at a couple other places.

I'm not 20 years old. I don't have patience for that.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Just sat down to watch Hans Zimmer Live.
maroon barchetta
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Just sat down to watch Hans Zimmer Live.

That show was absolutely world class on every possible level.

Cannot recommend enough.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Saw Candlebox and Jerry Cantrell tonight (left before Bush). Candlebox sounded really good. JC was not bad but a lot of his solo songs fall a little flat in a big venue like that. Saw him a couple years ago at HOB and it was a killer show. Of course that was a headlining gig so he played a much longer set.
johnnyblaze36
AG
Know Your Enemy said:

Saw Candlebox and Jerry Cantrell tonight (left before Bush). Candlebox sounded really good. JC was not bad but a lot of his solo songs fall a little flat in a big venue like that. Saw him a couple years ago at HOB and it was a killer show. Of course that was a headlining gig so he played a much longer set.
Proposition Joe
Checked out Echo Lounge in Dallas for the first time last night. I had read that the acoustics were great, and couldn't agree more. Very few concerts where I can understand each of the lyrics without already knowing the song previously.

Right off the highway, easy parking, and was back home to Fort Worth 35 minutes after the final song.
62strat
AG
Saw incubus do morning view in full last night. Man they killed it; that 'dj' really adds a lot to their sound of what is otherwise just a guitar and bass.
Put in quotes because he had way more than just turntables up there. He had several sets of keys and a mellotron even.

G.I.Bro
Heart had to cancel the show I had tickets to. Hope Ann recovers. The band I saw last weekend did a killer cover of Barracuda so that'll have to hold me over
JYDog90
AG
What I feared would happen happened with the Mavericks show tomorrow night in Sugar Land.

Moved it to April 2025, citing Raul's chemo treatments.
Formerly Willy Wonka
johnnyblaze36
AG
Saw Mike Campbell and the Dirty Knobs with Lucinda Williams last night at ACL Moody and it was fantastic.

Lucinda opened and sounded pretty good. I didn't know she had a stroke a year ago so she can't play guitar anymore but her voice and backing band were good.

Then she was followed by the Dirty Knobs and they crushed it. My buddy of over twenty years is the other guitarist now and I had no idea how much free rein Mike has given him since he first joined the band two years ago. He got to solo guitar a ton, sing solo vocals, they added his keys into the mix permanently, and watching he and Mike trade licks with Lucinda between them singing during the colab set was quite the treat.

If you're in the D/FW area I highly recommend seeing them at Arlington Music Hall tomorrow night. It's a Knobs show only so they'll get to play a lot longer without Lucinda. The new album is really good and of course they play old Petty and the Heartbreakers songs to a T.
Aggie87
AG
johnnyblaze36 said:

Saw Mike Campbell and the Dirty Knobs with Lucinda Williams last night at ACL Moody and it was fantastic.

Lucinda opened and sounded pretty good. I didn't know she had a stroke a year ago so she can't play guitar anymore but her voice and backing band were good.

Then she was followed by the Dirty Knobs and they crushed it. My buddy of over twenty years is the other guitarist now and I had no idea how much free rein Mike has given him since he first joined the band two years ago. He got to solo guitar a ton, sing solo vocals, they added his keys into the mix permanently, and watching he and Mike trade licks with Lucinda between them singing during the colab set was quite the treat.

If you're in the D/FW area I highly recommend seeing them at Arlington Music Hall tomorrow night. It's a Knobs show only so they'll get to play a lot longer without Lucinda. The new album is really good and of course they play old Petty and the Heartbreakers songs to a T.

I'm seeing them here in Phx in about 2 weeks, so thanks for the write up. I have been assuming Lucinda was headlining all of the shows, sorta surprised.
johnnyblaze36
AG
I assumed that too until I saw Mike announce the order on IG on Tuesday. It worked out much better imo as Lucinda's set is pretty tame and a nice warm up and then the Knobs really kick it into high gear and then finish with Lucinda and both bands on stage who all played tremendous together.

Watch Chris Holt to Mike's left. He's a total badass and Mike picked up a major asset in him. Enjoy!
aggiechick
Follow up from The Mavericks in Dallas last Saturday: They were fantastic! So much energy and the songs were incredible. The crowd was fun.

I've never seen this before though: during the first two songs, you could see Raul Malo was having issues with his guitar and kept talking with a roadie who came on stage and tried to fix whatever was wrong. He then said something to the effect of this has started off crappy and they were going to take 5. The roadie continued to work on the speakers and brought out new ones. They returned to the stage and halfway through the next song you could see he was not happy and then his guitar stopped working again and he's pissed. He then says something and HEAVES his guitar off stage and storms off. They come back later and finish the show but that was a first for me (except for Axl Rose who broke his guitar on purpose). Made for a tense beginning but they overcame and were incredible. I wonder if the roadie had to walk home?
madcuz
AG
I have 4 tickets to Gary Allan at Floores Country Store on Sept 21. They are VIP table tickets. $500. Text 9 seven 9 5 three three 3 two 7 five
General Jack D. Ripper
I went to go see Rancid in Austin earlier this week. They were the middle show between the Linda Lindas and Green Day.

Well, it was probably the worst concert I ever went to. First, Rancid went on at around 6 pm…on a Tuesday…how punk is that. We showed up as Rancid was performing Ruby Soho for their encore. Another concert goer said they phoned it in and played 8 songs. So, I was pretty bummed.

And, I realized how old I've gotten because it wasn't a punk concert. It was a bunch of middle agers with their children. Spent quite a bit for the "pit" only to be surrounded by people taking selfies and videos. Even Billy Joe told people to put up their phones. I've never been to a concert with less energy.

I didn't care about seeing Green Day. I like their early stuff but he insisted on playing Dookie and American Idiot. But, I'll tell you, Billy Joe did his absolute best to put on a good show. They played around 2 hours.

Punk is dead. I am sad.
There was this one time at ban camp…
maroon barchetta
Sounds like the entire experience was a bit…

…rancid.

General Jack D. Ripper
Nice
There was this one time at ban camp…
jetch17
AG
General Jack D. Ripper said:

I went to go see Rancid in Austin earlier this week. They were the middle show between the Linda Lindas and Green Day.

Well, it was probably the worst concert I ever went to. First, Rancid went on at around 6 pm…on a Tuesday…how punk is that. We showed up as Rancid was performing Ruby Soho for their encore. Another concert goer said they phoned it in and played 8 songs. So, I was pretty bummed.

And, I realized how old I've gotten because it wasn't a punk concert. It was a bunch of middle agers with their children. Spent quite a bit for the "pit" only to be surrounded by people taking selfies and videos. Even Billy Joe told people to put up their phones. I've never been to a concert with less energy.

I didn't care about seeing Green Day. I like their early stuff but he insisted on playing Dookie and American Idiot. But, I'll tell you, Billy Joe did his absolute best to put on a good show. They played around 2 hours.

Punk is dead. I am sad.
Tim Armstrong has always sucked - i turn the channel anytime he mumbles across whatever bands he's been in over the years ... does he still have a big giant beard these days?

On the flipside, I'm a huge Social D fan, and get Ness is similar to folks so I guess i shouldnt judge too hard.

Catching Social D & Bad Religion a few months ago was still a great show, but def a bunch of middle aged gray hairs like myself.
cajunaggie08
AG

Punk is dead. I am sad.
You went to a Green Day concert expecting a full punk crowd? I'm not knocking Green Day as they have always put on great concerts when I've seen them, but they have been part of the mainstream alt rock scene for 30-years now and are playing stadiums. Of course the crowd will be middle aged people and their kids who are there to hear Dookie and American Idiot.
Proposition Joe

Punk is dead. I am sad.

Is it punk not to actually pay attention to what you're buying a ticket for?

Set times have been the same across the board -- Rancid has gone on at 6 because in most stops on the tour you've got Smashing Pumpkins going on ~7:15 so that Green Day can take the stage and play a 2 hour set before 9:30. Would a 7pm start time have been more punk?

And they played 8 songs because they were the effectively the opener. I love Rancid, but they aren't going to get the same play time as The Smashing Pumpkins or Green Day.

As for Green Day... yes he insisted on playing Dookie and American Idiot because that's literally what the tour was marketed as -- playing Dookie and American Idiot.

Reading is dead. I am sad.
maroon barchetta
Not learning to read is pretty punk.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.