***** THE ACOLYTE Show Discussion (see note inside) Thread *****

155,620 Views | 1971 Replies | Last: 11 days ago by Cinco Ranch Aggie
dreyOO
How long do you want to ignore this user?
oragator said:

She still doesn't get it on multiple levels. It's bizarre to watch considering her stellar history. This was the first prime example of the SW 40 plus years of goodwill running out. When I read interviews with her, she seems to want to fight the fanbase instead of leaning into it. It's largely a white male middle aged group. And yet not only does she make very little for them, she walks around wearing a T-shirt saying the force is a woman, then talks repeatedly about how toxic the fanbase is etc.
The extreme example I would give would be if they brought in a man over the Barbie franchise and did the same thing in reverse. It would be idiotic. That movie spent two hours without a single positive male in it (amd even vilified Ken) and made a billion dollars. There's value in leaning in to your core audience.
And even beyond the whole woke argument. outside of Andor, there's nothing specifically for adults, which their core audience has been demogrqphically for decades now. It's no coincidence that andor's ratings increased over time and it was the best reviewed series they've had. This series bombed after two episodes.
And all that is before even talking about the unoriginal garbage that was the last trilogy. Took exactly zero chances and basically copied four for 7. Amd how unoriginal and paint by SW numbers the underlying storyline was here too.

And yet, even with all that, she's still in charge and still throwing this junk up at us as the best they can do. Disney deserves this failure and if they don't learn from it, they deserve the next one too.

/nerd rant.

I've always wanted to see another Last Action Hero. Maybe this is it? All the SW characters are struggling to under the stupidity of their lives and decisions (the storylines) but then they find out it's all because an out of touch producer forced it on them. They revolt and kill her in the real world. The end. Rogue 2
ABATTBQ11
AG
https://gizmodo.com/amandla-stenberg-wasnt-shocked-by-the-acolytes-cancelation-2000492277

Stenberg isn't shocked about the cancellation. You'll never guess why.
concac
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

https://gizmodo.com/amandla-stenberg-wasnt-shocked-by-the-acolytes-cancelation-2000492277

Was it the poor acting? The poor storytelling? The poor production?

Nah, she can't be that self-aware.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Disney needs to stop blaming its fanbase for its own issues.

Whether it's people dying at their parks, not being able to afford their prices, or hating their shows, the consistent messaging appears to still be that it's the customer's fault.
CC09LawAg
What a bunch of word salad.
Belton Ag
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

Right wing conspiracy derp!
powerbelly
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

She would have a point if viewership didn't fall off a cliff after a few episodes
Charlie Conway
Say your goal is to piss off white men, make the force female, make the gayest star wars ever, insulting the largest part of your fanbase. Put out bad show, fanbase criticizes it. Blame them and call them the standard right wing insults making them even more angry. Fanbase criticizes you more.

Rinse and repeat this vicious cycle for almost every Disney IP.
C@LAg
Charlie Conway said:

Say your goal is to piss off white men, make the force female, make the gayest star wars ever, insulting the largest part of your fanbase. Put out bad show, fanbase criticizes it. Blame them and call them the standard right wing insults making them even more angry. Fanbase criticizes you more.

Rinse and repeat this vicious cycle for almost every Disney IP.
They are doing it to the Predator franchise now.

"According to the plot info, Predator: Badlands follows Thia and Tessa who could be in their mid 20s to mid 40s. The casting call describes the characters as identifying as female or non-binary. Similar to The Acolyte, it also sounds as if the twin sisters are at odds with one another."
maroon barchetta
This is late but I just saw it.
oragator
In fairness to Stenberg, some of the criticism was really personal and bigoted.
But that doesn't change the larger picture, Disney is beyond lost on what/who this franchise is, and how best to not only reach the core audience on screen, but interact with them with them off of it.
Like I said after episode 2, this was the final straw for many, myself included. Eventually it will either sink in at Disney or their next project will be another colossal failure like this one. But I'm not watching the next one without really good reviews, the "It's Star Wars, of course I'm watching" phase of my fandom is over.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Same. This has been with me since I was 10, and I am 57 now.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.