*****2022-2023 San Antonio Spurs Thread*****

129,259 Views | 1856 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by West Texan
Guitarsoup
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ag Natural said:

Sochan is one of the most instinctive ball players and fluid athletes I've seen in a while. He also plays with Manu like passion. He's going to be rediculous.

Can't wait until Chip Englandd gives him a deep shot

Oh
Ag Natural
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Ag Natural said:

Sochan is one of the most instinctive ball players and fluid athletes I've seen in a while. He also plays with Manu like passion. He's going to be rediculous.

Can't wait until Chip Englandd gives him a deep shot

Oh

Chip isn't the only shooting coach in the league anymore.
jteagle
AG
Ag Natural said:

Malaki Branham is also starting to show what he is capable of as a scorer. I think the Spurs did very well with their first round picks this year.
LawHall88
AG
This is to set up some other move, I assume?
LawHall88
AG
This would be bad if the Spurs were trying to win.
West Texan
AG
MookieBlaylock
AG
Houston
Detroit
Charlotte
Espurs

3 games up on Houston
Charlotte being there kinda scares me as I could see the NBA rigging it and sending the big Frenchie there
Guitarsoup
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

Houston
Detroit
Charlotte
Espurs

3 games up on Houston
Charlotte being there kinda scares me as I could see the NBA rigging it and sending the big Frenchie there

Charlotte needs to turn this **** around so their draft pick we own doesn't turn into two seconds.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Double outanked by Charlotte

At least they gave us the Hornet uniforms
NorCal
Record crowd getting to see a nice show tonight in the Alamodome.
2008and1
AG
NorCal said:

Record crowd getting to see a nice show tonight in the Alamodome.

Lol we couldn't see ***** Fun night though.
not hedge
They really need to move the spurs back downtown for good
LawHall88
AG
Andy07
AG

MookieBlaylock
AG
10k for a half court shot

Man the Spurs are cheap
Guitarsoup
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

10k for a half court shot

Man the Spurs are cheap

Texas State gives tuition and other stuff. That's gotta be way more
Guitarsoup
AG

Trade Deadline is Feb 9th.

2023/24 Spurs contracts:

C: Zach Collins 7.7mm (unguaranteed)
PF: Sochan 5.3mm
SF: Keldon Johnson 20mm
SG: Vassell 5.9mm
PG:

Stretch: Doug McD 13.75mm (last year)
Wing: Malaki Branham 3mm
Wing: Blake Wesley 2.5mm

Dead: Primo 4.3mm
--------------------------------
Total guaranteed: $54.75 (plus Collins at 7.7 probably)
Salary Cap estimated at $134mm.

Free agents (cap holds)
JRich $19mm
Jakob $17.8mm
Romeo $16.9mm
Tre $5.2
Bassey $2mm
Stanley Johnson $2.0
KB-Diop $1.9

All that cap space, but the free agents are trash.
Anti-Spur Harden can opt out.
Khris Middleton is probably the best FA, but he's been hurt all year and seems like he woudl double up on what we have in Keldon.
Fred VanFleet. We obviously need a PG. If we land Victor, he could work at PG. But he's turning 29 and his shooting this year is trash.
Kyrie pass.
Draymond (player option of 27mm) I don't know that I see him leaving GSW. He's turning 33. If we ended up with Scoot, a big rotation of Sochan, Green, and Poetel could be interesting.
Kristaps. I know Pop liked him at one point. So many injuries, but has been healthy this year. 22/9 on 47/35/82 shooting.
Myles Turner. Putting up 17/8 and hitting 40% of his threes. From Euless, TX. Has led league in blocks twice. If we lose Poetl and land Scoot, he has to be #1 pick for our center, right? About to turn 27.
D'Angelo Russell - awful defense, volume shooter. Doesn't seem like a Spur guy, right?
Nikola Vucevic. Bulls will want to retain him, right? - putting up 18/11 right now on 52/38 shooting. Just turned 32.
Kuz. Putting up 22/8 for the Wiz, but taking 7.5 threes and hitting 33%, which is his career average.

A few of these guys would seem to be decent fits depending on what draft player we end up with.

In the lottery, worst 3 teams have 14% chance at #1. #4 (Spurs right now) have #12.5% and #5 has 10% chance. Spurs are 3 games above Detroit for #2 and 2.5 games above Charlotte for #3.

Spurs draft capital:
2023:
Own 1st
Char 1st (top 16 protected, doubtful to convey this year - Dejounte Murray trade)
Own 2nd

2024:
Own 1st
Charlotte 1st (top 14 protected, if it doesn't convey in 2023 - Dejounte Murray trade)
Own 2nd (unless it falls in 55-60, then it goes to Boston for the Noah Vonleh trade)
LAL 2nd (from Mem, for Kennedy Chandler trade)

2025:
Own 1st
Charlotte 1st (top 14 protected, if it doesn't convey in 2023 or 2024 - Dejounte Murray trade)
Chicago 1st (top 10 protected - DeRozan Trade)
Atlanta 1st (unprotected - Dejounte Murray Trade)
Own 2nd
Chicago 2nd (DeRozan)

2026:
Spurs or Hawks, best pick - Spurs have pick swap right, no protection - Murray trade
Own 2nd (some complicated pick swap with lots of restrictions with Miami/Indiana)

Atlanta 1st (no restrictions, Murray Trade)
Own 1st
Own 2nd (Another swap that is complicated option)

2028:
Own 1st
Can Pick Swap Boston if Boston doesn't get #1 overall (White trade)
Own 2nd
Den 2nd

Tim MacMahon says the Spurs think they will resign Jakob. To me that means no one wants to pay the 2 FRP asking price. Spurs have a standing offer of 4y58mm, which is the max extension they can offer.

Shams says that Jakob will get 20mm/year in free agency.

From The Athletic:

Quote:

Netting two firsts for a center on an expiring contract and expecting a big raise seems implausible, but it at least sets the bar high enough for San Antonio to come away with a first-rounder and some change for Poeltl. There is no impetus for the franchise to deal Poeltl, as the Spurs have the financial flexibility to give him a four-year deal and still have spending power.

The Spurs would love to pair Poeltl with vaunted prospect Victor Wembanyama if they win the lottery, and would only move Poetl if they received an offer too good to pass up, ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski reported last weekend.

Boston wants JP, but they also want to move Galli. Galli can't be traded to us, since we cut him after the DeJounte trade, so they have to find a 3rd party to take his 2y13mm contract. Don't think anyone really wants Galli's 7mm salary next year.

Hawks are imploding (yay for our draft picks) and still trying to get rid of John Collins and his 3y75mm contract. Jazz have apparently talked with them, but want a first rounder added, to take on the salary. Hawks don't have a lot of firsts available.

Suns are apparently shopping around Ayton and his 3y100mm left.
Knicks want to dump off Rose, Reddish, and Fournier.

AirAlamo floated the idea:
2023 1st rounder, Cam Reddish and Derrick Rose for Dougie McD.
I'd do that. Keep Reddish as backup D&no3 and waive Rose.

They also floated:
24 & 26 1sts, Fournier, and Reddish for Jakob. Hard pass. Need at least a 3rd unprotected FRP if we are going to take on Fournier's contract.

Obviously, most likely Spurs to be traded are Jakob, Richardson and Dougie. Only Dougie is signed past this season.
Ag Natural
AG
We will get to see how much Jacob likes SA. His smartest move is to enter free agency and negotiate with the Spurs without the restrictions. Of course, the danger is he's free to sign anywhere at that point. They faced the same upcoming situation with Murray and chose to bail out ahead of it (thank you Atlanta!).

Best case scenario is the Spurs trade Jacob, then he enters free agency and come back

This is why I don't think a deal gets done. No team will give up that much for a half season rental if there are no assurances that he'll resign.

On another note, I'd be shocked if the Spurs don't extend Vassell this summer.
Enzo The Baker
AG
That Chicago 25 1st rounder looks juicy.

Edit: Nvm. Didn't see top 10 protection. Does it convey to anything?
Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

That Chicago 25 1st rounder looks juicy.

Edit: Nvm. Didn't see top 10 protection. Does it convey to anything?
Gets pushed back to 2028, then to a 2nd. It is top-9 protected after 2025.
Guitarsoup
AG
I could see the Warriors doing something like Wiseman+Moody (maybe next year's first, top 20 protected). Save them some luxury tax, give them a little flexibility this summer. I think they are done with Wiseman with all his injuries and don't want the added salary.

C Jakob/Poole
PF Draymon/Kuminga
SF Wiggins/Lamb
SG Klay/Donte
PG Curry/Jerome

Solid rotation that could help their playoff push. Only so many more years of Curry/Klay left. Gotta make the most of it - win now.
Enzo The Baker
AG
I love Jakob. Spurs should keep him even if he is expensive. It's not like we are going to get any big money guys in free agency. Keep our core of guys and hope we hit in the lottery. I also don't see a team giving up 2 1sts for an expiring unless they are protected. Plus they will likely be in the 20s anyways as only contenders set up to win in the coming years will want him.
Ag Natural
AG
Guitarsoup said:

I could see the Warriors doing something like Wiseman+Moody (maybe next year's first, top 20 protected). Save them some luxury tax, give them a little flexibility this summer. I think they are done with Wiseman with all his injuries and don't want the added salary.

C Jakob/Poole
PF Draymon/Kuminga
SF Wiggins/Lamb
SG Klay/Donte
PG Curry/Jerome

Solid rotation that could help their playoff push. Only so many more years of Curry/Klay left. Gotta make the most of it - win now.
Why would the Spurs do this? Wiseman has looked lost and Moody hasn't exactly knocked anyone socks off.
Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

I love Jakob. Spurs should keep him even if he is expensive. It's not like we are going to get any big money guys in free agency. Keep our core of guys and hope we hit in the lottery. I also don't see a team giving up 2 1sts for an expiring unless they are protected. Plus they will likely be in the 20s anyways as only contenders set up to win in the coming years will want him.
I think JP works great with either Wemby or Scoot. I think he is even more important with Wemby because it means we can play Wemby as a point-forward type and keep him from having to bang his skinny ass in the paint.

I don't think that JP will want to sign with any teams with cap space next year (Rockets, Pacers, Pistons, Magic) because he wants to win, but the better teams won't have cap space, which means, we can demand a S&T for him to go there like we did with DeRozan (traded for Thad Young, 3 seconds, and a 1st. Then we flipped Thad Young for another 1st .)

Boston: 40mm over cap next year
Denver: 35mm over cap next year and has the best center in the league
Memphis: could have $12mm in cap space (not enough) but already have Steven Adams on cheaper contract - 2y25mm after this year
Milwaukee: Over the cap and Brook Lopez and Khris Middleton are FAs
Philly: Over the cap and already have Embiid
Nets: Right at cap, before dealing with FAs Curry, Kyrie, etc. Nic Claxton is 23 and putting up 12/9 at center for them
Cleveland: Could have 12mm in cap space if they let Lavert and Love go. They already have Jarrett Allen and Evan Mobley.

-------- that is all teams on pace for 50+ wins right now -----------

Warriors: Way over Lux tax.
Kings: could have 25mm in cap space and he might fit in next to Sabonis.
Pellies: Way over cap and have Jonas V.
Heat: Way over cap and have Bam
Knicks: over cap, have several bad contracts
Dallas: no cap space ,but a Luka, Wood, Jakob front court would be huge.

------ that is all teams over .500 ---------

Even if we don't send Jake out now, I think we can get a FRP for him to go to the right team as a S&T.
Guitarsoup
AG
Ag Natural said:

Guitarsoup said:

C Jakob/Poole
PF Draymon/Kuminga
SF Wiggins/Lamb
SG Klay/Donte
PG Curry/Jerome

Why would the Spurs do this? Wiseman has looked lost and Moody hasn't exactly knocked anyone socks off.
Supposedly the Spurs like Moody's potential. If it gets the Warriors going, we maybe get a pick like we got Branham this year.

Only one year left of Wiseman and Moody is under $3mm/year.

With that Warriors pick, maybe we can get a guy like GG Jackson or something. Young, good body, room to grow.
jteagle
AG
Iceman

Guitarsoup
AG
West Texan
AG
Guitarsoup said:

The willingness to commit to doing something that unusual in a game, in front of fans, cameras, etc. I think speaks very highly of Sochan's coachability and work ethic. Pretty impressive improvement during that time.
DTP02
AG
Guitarsoup said:

I keep waiting for one of these bad FT shooters to go to the granny shot but no one ever does. At least he's trying something different, which most bad FT shooters never do, and it seems to be working.
jteagle
AG
DTP02 said:

Guitarsoup said:

I keep waiting for one of these bad FT shooters to go to the granny shot but no one ever does. At least he's trying something different, which most bad FT shooters never do, and it seems to be working.
He's also shooting 37.5% from 3 in the last 10 games.
Guitarsoup
AG

He keeps improving like this and he has a legit chance to be special.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Are we celebrating terrible numbers on an awful team?

Keep tanking baby
MookieBlaylock
AG
Sitting in the 3 spot

Gotta dominate the rodeo road trip and go winless
Ag Natural
AG
Losing in OT. Perfection. These guys are playing hard. Playing the right way (3rd in the league in assists per game). And getting better individually while racking up losses.

LawHall88
AG
The problem is the Rockets and Pistons are essentially throwing games at this point. The Spurs and Hornets are actually trying to win games.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.