*****2022-2023 San Antonio Spurs Thread*****

129,270 Views | 1856 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by West Texan
2008and1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
LawHall88 said:

The problem is the Rockets and Pistons are essentially throwing games at this point. The Spurs and Hornets are actually trying to win games.

Bottom 3 all have the same odds. Just gotta out lose charlotte.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Gotta get to that 2nd spot

Too much at steak to be in the 3/4 battle

Rodeo road flop is critical to saving the franchise
2008and1
AG
Road-trip includes @detroit and @charlotte. Hopefully we L to both. Then we open March with B2B with Houston.
Guitarsoup
AG
If we lose out on the Rodeo Road Trip, the Rockets are going to start Clutch the Bear the rest of the year.
2008and1
AG
Guitarsoup said:

If we lose out on the Rodeo Road Trip, the Rockets are going to start Clutch the Bear the rest of the year.

I don't see us catching Houston. Good thing we don't have to.
Guitarsoup
AG
2008and1 said:

Guitarsoup said:

There are benefits other than 1st pick.

Worst team is guaranteed no lower than 5th pick.
2nd Worst is guaranteed no lower than 6th pick.
3rd Worst is guaranteed no lower than 7th pick.

If you are 3rd worst, your chance at the 1st or 2nd pick is about the same as your chance at the 6th pick.
If you are 2nd worst, there is almost a 60% chance you get the 5th or 6th pick.

I wish we could work some sort of deal with Charlotte where we take the Gordon Haywood salary dump and we change the pick protections from top-16 to top-1. So they open up huge space and can still get Wemby to pair with LaMelo. They have to deal with Jalen McDaniels, Dennis Smith, PJ Washington, Mason Plumlee, and Kelly Obre being free agents this summer. Hayward and Cody Martin are essentially their only dead weight contracts. Gordie is almost 33 and is essentially toast at this point.

With something like that, our chance at getting Wemby would still be 14%, but our chance at Scoot Henderson at #2 jumps to 25.5%, with a long shot (2%?) at getting both.

Hawyward+Cody Martin for JRich+Roby
They get two ending contracts, and both are flippable. Roby is almost 25 and has shown some promise. Had a nice 14/7 night in just 20 minutes vs Clippers the other night.

Charlotte saves $23mm this year, $38mm next year, and 8mm the following year. Total of about $60mm in savings and they still have the same chance of getting Wemby. They also have the Nuggets 1RP this year.
2008and1
AG
Guitarsoup said:

2008and1 said:

Guitarsoup said:

If you are 3rd worst, your chance at the 1st or 2nd pick is about the same as your chance at the 6th pick.

I wish we could work some sort of deal with Charlotte where we take the Gordon Haywood salary dump and we change the pick protections from top-16 to top-1. So they open up huge space and can still get Wemby to pair with LaMelo. They have to deal with Jalen McDaniels, Dennis Smith, PJ Washington, Mason Plumlee, and Kelly Obre being free agents this summer. Hayward and Cody Martin are essentially their only dead weight contracts. Gordie is almost 33 and is essentially toast at this point.

With something like that, our chance at getting Wemby would still be 14%, but our chance at Scoot Henderson at #2 jumps to 25.5%, with a long shot (2%?) at getting both.

They get two ending contracts, and both are flippable. Roby is almost 25 and has shown some promise. Had a nice 14/7 night in just 20 minutes vs Clippers the other night.

Charlotte saves $23mm this year, $38mm next year, and 8mm the following year. Total of about $60mm in savings and they still have the same chance of getting Wemby. They also have the Nuggets 1RP this year.

I hear you on the 5-7 picks….but if spurs don't get #1 (maybe #2) we are doing this all over again next year.
Guitarsoup
AG
2008and1 said:

Guitarsoup said:

2008and1 said:

Guitarsoup said:

I hear you on the 5-7 picks….but if spurs don't get #1 (maybe #2) we are doing this all over again next year.
I think Scoot is going to be great. 6'2, 6'9 wingspan, Tony Parker or better first step, great court awareness and passing. He has a very nice crossover and step-back midrange shot.

Also he can dunk like this:

Scoot will be 19 on draft day. He's 18 right now.

Gives us a starting 5 of Jakob, Sochan, Keldon, Vassel, and Scoot. Fits perfectly, especially if Sochan's chot continues to develop.

Trying to go hard for #1 and #2 is smart, imo.
Guitarsoup
AG
And while mentioning Sochan, his last 6 games:

18ppg
7rpg (3.0 offensive RPG)
3apg
50% FG
56% 3FG
86% FT

He doesn't turn 20 until late May.
Ag Natural
AG
Every top playing should be begging for the Rockets to NOT pick them. That team is miserable to watch. It's basically 5 guys trying to theirs.
Enzo The Baker
AG
With that being said, the Spurs are only one game back in the loss column of the Rockets. Somehow we are tanking the right way.
Guitarsoup
AG
Guitarsoup
AG
https://sports.yahoo.com/as-sluggish-nba-trade-market-nears-deadline-history-has-shown-a-players-desired-trade-destination-may-not-matter-161502992.html

Kyrie had the Spurs as a preferred destination when he wanted to leave the Cavs.

Kristaps requested that NYK trade him to us over Dallas. He hated the big media, so wanted a smaller market.

If the Spurs don't end up with Wemby, I could see us try to sign Kristaps to have a bigs rotation of Jakob, Kristaps, and Sochan.
jteagle
AG
Guitarsoup said:

https://sports.yahoo.com/as-sluggish-nba-trade-market-nears-deadline-history-has-shown-a-players-desired-trade-destination-may-not-matter-161502992.html

Kyrie had the Spurs as a preferred destination when he wanted to leave the Cavs.

Kristaps requested that NYK trade him to us over Dallas. He hated the big media, so wanted a smaller market.

If the Spurs don't end up with Wemby, I could see us try to sign Kristaps to have a bigs rotation of Jakob, Kristaps, and Sochan.
I was wondering if Porzingis might be a possibility. If they could sign him and draft Scoot, I think that would be a pretty big step forward. Sochan is looking really good and Branham is showing signs of breaking out.

They should be getting Devin back pretty soon.

A starting lineup of Porzingis, Sochan, Devin, Keldon and Scoot would be pretty formidable with Tre and Malaki coming off the bench.
LawHall88
AG
The Young and Eubanks for the draft pick that turned into Maliki trade looks like it may work out.
Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker
AG
Will be interesting to watch but man that's a long time out for Luka not to walk. If I'm not mistaken, he was pretty tight with DFS. I'm sure he signed off but man that's pretty risky.

From the Spurs side, I think we hold on to Jakob, re-sign him in the off-season and move Richardson/mcbuckets for 2nds before the deadline.
Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Will be interesting to watch but man that's a long time out for Luka not to walk. If I'm not mistaken, he was pretty tight with DFS. I'm sure he signed off but man that's pretty risky.

From the Spurs side, I think we hold on to Jakob, re-sign him in the off-season and move Richardson/mcbuckets for 2nds before the deadline.
I'd like to move Dougie for whatever, but I think I would rather keep Richardson if we can't get a 1st. Doug can come in and fill it up quickly and is a better and more reliable 3point shooter, but doesn't do much else.

Richardson really only has value to a contending team as a D&3 off the bench. Richardson is 2 years younger and a better defender. I can see us needing a D&3 wing off the bench next year if we lose Richardson.

I think keeping Jakob is likely. The teams that want him don't have tons of space. Toronto might, but if they do, it is because they lose guys like Gary and Fred, so they are gonna suck. So even if we lose him, I think it would be through a S&T, which still benefits us. But no matter where we end up in the draft, I think Jakob pairs perfectly with Victor, Scoot, or Amen Thompson. If we lose him, we need to replace him and as deep as the draft it, it is great for SG-PF, not really for actual posts.

-----------------------------------------

LJ Ellis is saying the Nets want JRich and Collins.

Lakers still want to dump Westbrook on us, too.
TheNotoriousP.I.P.
AG
Honestly, if we don't move J-Rich at the deadline and he's open to sticking around, we could do a Robert Covington style extension with him. He's on a 4-year non-rookie deal, so we could theoretically just bump his contract up by significantly this year in exchange for a team-friendly extension.
Guitarsoup
AG
TheNotoriousP.I.P. said:

Honestly, if we don't move J-Rich at the deadline and he's open to sticking around, we could do a Robert Covington style extension with him. He's on a 4-year non-rookie deal, so we could theoretically just bump his contract up by significantly this year in exchange for a team-friendly extension.
His cap hold is 18.3mm. If we want to go after any of the decent players in free agency, we need to move on from him, move Doug, or use JR in a S&T.

If we lose Jakob, we are going to need to get someone, and there aren't a ton out there to be had. Naz Reid is probably the best bet, but he isn't as tall and isn't as good a passer.
TheNotoriousP.I.P.
AG
If we renegotiated his deal and extended him then he wouldn't have a cap hold, just his actual salary. Like what Covington did with the 6ers in 2018. He was on the last year of his deal and the 76ers were under the cap floor. So they bumped his 2018 salary up from $1MM to like $17MM and then extended him for $11-12MM/year, which was considered well under the market rate for him at the time. So I'm saying that if we don't use up our cap space at the trade deadline and J-Rich doesn't get traded and is interested in staying around, why not bump J-Rich up to a $30MM salary this year in exchange for something like a 3/$20MM extension. Then you have a good role player who is on an excellent contract going into the offseason, and could either keep him around to continue being an adult for the young guys, or could be an even more valuable trade asset than he is right now.
Guitarsoup
AG

Quote:

If we renegotiated his deal and extended him then he wouldn't have a cap hold, just his actual salary.

And that actual salary would come out of our cap space to spend on other free agents.

Quote:

So I'm saying that if we don't use up our cap space at the trade deadline and J-Rich doesn't get traded and is interested in staying around, why not bump J-Rich up to a $30MM salary this year in exchange for something like a 3/$20MM extension.
Because with him at ~7mm, you no longer have the ability to keep Poeltl and sign a max free agent in addition to the draft pick without being able to move Doug.

LawHall88
AG
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
seems like a precursor move. Either or both the Heat clearing room, and the spurs acquiring more draft capital
Guitarsoup
AG
4.7mn this year, 1.6 guaranteed next year
LawHall88
AG
Guitarsoup
AG
The draft pick is probably also top 55 protected so it'll never convey
Ag Natural
AG
So we're just taking Dedmon's contract for nothing?
TheNotoriousP.I.P.
AG
Looks like we sent cash for their 2028 2nd, from Bobby Marks twitter.
Ag Natural
AG
Looks greek to me. I assume this is just a salary cap thing and that's it.
Guitarsoup
AG
Ag Natural said:

Looks greek to me. I assume this is just a salary cap thing and that's it.
We got a 2nd round pick and it cost us $110k. The money was going to be spent anyway.

Dedmon has been paid ~3.1mm of his 4.7mm contract this year. So he is owed about 1.6 for the rest of this season and about 1.6mm for next year. Since he has 2 years left, you can waive and stretch those payments over 5 years (double the years remaining plus one)

So he would count as 640k per year this year, and each of the next 4 seasons. Or we just count all of it this year and the 1.6mm next year that comes out of our cap. I'd rather have an extra million off the cap, but whatever.

Guitarsoup
AG
From Hollinger's article in the Athletic:

Quote:

unprecedented 10 teams in the luxury tax (Boston, Brooklyn, Dallas, Denver, Golden State, LA Clippers, Los Angeles Lakers, Milwaukee, Philadelphia and Phoenix.)

Three other teams (Atlanta, Miami and New Orleans) aren't in the tax this year but somehow, some way, have already put themselves over the line for next year.

Memphis, Detroit and Orlando are near the cap, so don't really have space.

Spurs have ~22mm in space and Indiana has ~10mm in space.

Quote:

The only non-taxpaying teams with exceptions worth more than $5 million whose use would not put them in the tax are Detroit ($5.3 million), Oklahoma City ($10.2 million), Utah ($9.8 million) and Toronto ($5.2 million).

Suns:
They are $18mm over the tax, which gives them a $35mm tax bill. No one knows what their new owner will do.

Quote:

One option would be to trade Dario ari, Landry Shamet and their 2023 first-rounder to the Spurs, which would get them out of the tax entirely.
Shamet has a 4y42mm contract, but only next year is guaranteed at ~10mm. Saric is a free agent this summer.

I wouldn't mind having Saric's rights, but I dont' want to pay Shamet 10mm next year. Doubt Saric becomes the payer he was before he blew out his knee (12/6 stretch 4 with 45/38/86 splits)

WARRIORS:
They currently have a $130mm tax bill coming and are barely hanging onto a playoff spot with Curry out a few weeks.

Quote:

That, in turn, focuses attention on James Wiseman. He's owed $9.6 million this year and $12.2 million next year, meaning that San Antonio, Detroit, Utah or Indiana could trade for him without sending anything back. Such a transaction would save the Warriors about $51 million in salary and tax this year and an estimated $85 million in salary and tax next year; a total of $131 million in savings to dump a guy who rarely plays.
He's about to turn 22. I wouldn't mind giving him a shot. He doesn't seem to be an ideal fit there, but I don't know if he is just in the wrong spot, or if he is Thabeet.

Quote:

The only question for the Warriors is the asset value. How diminished is Wiseman's status since being the second pick in the 2020 draft? Could he still return a first-round pick?
You can have Miami's 2028 second round pick. That's my final offer.

CLIPPERS:

Quote:

The Clippers don't have much draft equity to trade, but they have some useful veterans who aren't playing much (John Wall, Luke Kennard, Robert Covington) that might factor into a deal that saves money as a secondary goal.
Yeah, nothing we need there. RoCo always seemed like a great fit here, but he is due almost $12mm next year and is putting up just 6/4 on 41/33 shooting. He's washed at 32.

Nets/Mavericks

Brooklyn is still $28 million over the tax line,
Mavs are now $24 million over.

Quote:

The Nets seem less likely, with few draft picks or expiring contracts to put in a salary-dump trade. Sending out Kessler Edwards and cash would save a few million, but I have a hard time seeing anything more grand.

Quote:

As for Dallas, because it's so far from next year's tax line (Christian Wood and Dwight Powell are $25 million in expiring money), the Mavs might be less likely to sweat what they're paying this year. Moving Dvis Bertns or JaVale McGee would save a truckload of money but is likely too costly in draft picks right now to seriously contemplate. One small move might be to ship out recently acquired Markieff Morris, but he also might be needed.
Sure, I'd take Wood, but he's soft on D and a FA. I wouldn't want to give up anything of value and they probably want something significant for him. With the defensive talent we have in Sochan, Poeltl, Keldon, and Vassell, I don't know that I want to invest a big contract in a score-only stretch 4 like Wood.

Milwaukee:

Quote:

Paying somebody $2 million cash to take Ibaka's minimum contract would save them nearly $10 million in tax and salary; that's a profitable transaction that I'd rate as one of the most likely to actually happen in the next 48 hours.

Grayson Allen and George Hill for Jae Crowder rumored

Fakers

Quote:

As with Milwaukee, sending out cash to drop off little-used players like Juan Toscano-Anderson or Damian Jones could yield close to an eight-figure return on their books.
Nuggets

Quote:

It seems hugely unlikely Denver would take a scalpel to the roster while standing atop the West.

Quote:

historically spending-averse Nuggets are $10.5 million into this year's tax and roughly the same amount over next year's line

Quote:

Denver does have an obvious pathway to save a few bucks by shipping little-used Ish Smith and his $4.7 million along with a second-round pick to Indiana or San Antonio. That would save Denver about $10 million in salary and tax. Denver's only unencumbered future second pick is a 2023 choice coming from one of four teams (most likely Washington) that should be in the 40s, so that'd be the one they'd trade.

76ers

Quote:

The Sixers are a mere $1.17 million over the tax line; despite having a good team that is in contention, they also have some very tradeable players at the end of the bench not doing much. Furkan Korkmaz, Danuel House and Jaden Springer hardly play and make $12 million between them; they're each signed for next year, which makes things more complicated, but Philly might be able to part with its 2023 Knicks second-rounder to offload one of them and get below the tax.
Give me Danuel House!

Quote:

Alternatively, the Sixers could also look at moving on from Matisse Thybulle ($4.4 million) before he hits restricted free agency this summer. Philly is already into next year's tax thanks to Joel Embiid's extension kicking in and may need a bigger bag for James Harden if he opts out of his $35.6 million as expected. Paying Thybulle in that environment seems unlikely, but he could probably return two second-round picks, a small trade exception and a sidestepped tax bill this week.
As good as he is defensively, he is a bigger black hole than Bruce Bowen offensively.

Boston

They are 23mm into the tax right now. They want to dump salary, but also have the best record. Also, the big contract they want to move (Galli) can't be sent to the Spurs, because we cut him this year.

Heat

Probably want Grant Williams and he would fit in the Dedmon trade exception without them going over the tax.
Guitarsoup
AG
Bulls writer Sam Smith to Pop:

I'm just pleased to be in a room where I'm not the only person that everyone thinks should be retired.

Guitarsoup
AG
Imagine hiring DAntonio as your head coach after this.

KRH1225
I'm a spurs fan and it's been a pain in the ass to watch. They're that bad

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.