*****2022-2023 San Antonio Spurs Thread*****

129,284 Views | 1856 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by West Texan
Guitarsoup
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

24 years ago today
West Texan
AG

I thought he was a long shot for us anyways, but I would have really liked to go after him.
Guitarsoup
AG
I liked him too, but we also didn't overpay for a LSU player.

Minnesota paying Gobert 41mm, Towns 36mm, Reid 12mm, SloMo 9mm, McDaniels 4mm.

$102mm of the 136mm salary cap on post.

Now everyone knows they are desperate to trade Towns. Let's see how that happens.
FTAG 2000
AG
Guitarsoup said:

I liked him too, but we also didn't overpay for a LSU player.

Minnesota paying Gobert 41mm, Towns 36mm, Reid 12mm, SloMo 9mm, McDaniels 4mm.

$102mm of the 136mm salary cap on post.

Now everyone knows they are desperate to trade Towns. Let's see how that happens.

Nuts.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Wemby not playing World Cup.
Guitarsoup
AG
Hawks finally dumping Collins.

LawHall88
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Hawks finally dumping Collins.

Quite a fall for Collins - from budding superstar to salary dump in two years.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Stein said spurs would have had interest in Naz had he made it to FA. I have a feeling we are gonna go for Lopez in light of this.
Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Stein said spurs would have had interest in Naz had he made it to FA. I have a feeling we are gonna go for Lopez in light of this.

I don't think Lopez fits our timeline since he's already 35.

I bet we are already talking to Jakob
Enzo The Baker
AG
Man that would be incredible.
superunknown
AG
If big Jak can handle being on a borderline playoff team next year and then make deep playoff runs until he retires....yeah. Come back home, buddy
Guitarsoup
AG
superunknown said:

If big Jak can handle being on a borderline playoff team next year and then make deep playoff runs until he retires....yeah. Come back home, buddy
We're gonna be in a better place than the Scottie Barnes/Gradey Dick Raptors.

Gary Trent is opting in b/c no one will pay him and FVV is likely gone.

They have already been shopping OG and Pascal, but also think both deserve a Paul George-type trade for no apparent reason.
2008and1
AG
So is it about time to start the 23-24 thread?

Guitarsoup
AG
2008and1 said:

So is it about time to start the 23-24 thread?

Sean: "Most young guys are asking what clubs to go to in different towns. Victor asked us 'How do you make sure you get enough hours of sleep when you are on the road?' "
West Texan
AG
Guitarsoup said:

superunknown said:

They have already been shopping OG and Pascal, but also think both deserve a Paul George-type trade for no apparent reason.

That would be a hell of fleecing. Toronto gets a half season rental to lose the play in game, we get a first and 2 seconds, then resign Poeltl-jam? That would be fantastic.
Guitarsoup
AG
West Texan said:

Guitarsoup said:

superunknown said:

That would be a hell of fleecing. Toronto gets a half season rental to lose the play in game, we get a first and 2 seconds, then resign Poeltl-jam? That would be fantastic.
Depends if another team closer to a title comes calling.

OKC seems to want to run Chet at C.
Indiana has Jarace Walker and Myles Turner
Detroit has Wiseman, Bagley Stewart, and Duren.
Utah has Kessler
Orlando has Wendell Carter and Paolo

No one else has cap space. If OKC comes calling, maybe he says yes. Jakob, Chet, Williams, Giddey, SGA is solid. But I don't think they are going that direction.

So do you want to play with Wemby/Sochan/Vassell/Keldon/Branham or Scottie Barnes, Dick, Trent and whoever they trade Pascal and OG Anunoby for?
Enzo The Baker
AG
No surprise but Stein reporting that LAL would match's max offer sheet to Reaves ($100MM). Not sure if posturing but he's getting paid.
LawHall88
AG
Quote:

San Antonio was known to be waiting with a short-term contract for Reid and the hope of pairing him with Victor Wembanyama in the frontcourt, sources said. Now the Spurs will have to turn to other targets, perhaps someone like Pelicans center Jonas Valaninas, as New Orleans and San Antonio recently did business on offloading Devonte' Graham's contract, and the Pelicans, sources said, have since made Valaninas available in search of more mobile, rim-protecting big men.
https://sports.yahoo.com/2023-nba-free-agency-with-john-collins-trade-forwards-dominating-early-discussions-151510087.html
THE_CHOSEN_ONE
Charles Bassey 6'11" 235 lbs per 40 minute stats based on last season:

16 points
15 rebounds
1.4 steals
2.5 blocks
3.6 assists
64% field goals
37.5% from 3
Enzo The Baker
AG
KOC reporting that Reaves' camp hopes SA is the team that makes Reaves a big offer sheet.
Sher Thing
AG
Valanciunas is an intriguing option.
Enzo The Baker
AG
DiVincenzo declined player option to become free agent.
Guitarsoup
AG
Guitarsoup
AG

Toronto, you want that first rounder back next year?
West Texan
AG
Sher Thing said:

Valanciunas is an intriguing option.

Things I like about Jo Val:
-he's perfect to deal with all the physical play on the interior
-I think he'd be a great enforcer, along with Zach, to make sure that Wemby is protected
-really good rebounder, solid shooter to provide spacing, good scoring touch inside
-contract is expiring next season if we don't want to keep him around

Things I don't like:
-he's not a great defender. He's lumbering and doesn't move his feet great on the perimeter, and he averaged less than a block a game this last season. Leaves a lot to be desired as a rim protector.
-he's not a great passer. For his career he averages more turnovers than assists. I haven't watched enough of his game (outside of playing against the Spurs), so idk if he just lacks vision or if it's selfishness.

I think he'd be a pretty good fit on the team, but it depends on what New Orleans wants for him. For the right price, he'd be nice to get us to the salary floor and we'd still have future cap flexibility.
Guitarsoup
AG
Yeah, Jonas doesn't provide the defense or athleticism we would want.

Also, he has one more year in NOLA before he is a FA and I don't think they are ready to dump him, unless they can pull of a Zion for Dame and Nurkic trade.
Guitarsoup
AG
If Miami can't trade Kyle Lowry, they plan to waive and stretch him to save money.

Wouldn't mind giving him a 1y to start over Tre Jones.
Sher Thing
AG
Well there are reports that NOLA is interested in trading Valanciunas. I think he's a decent fit. He's a big body who can deal with the bigger centers of the league and has decent range to step out of the paint a bit. Certainly not a great defender but I think he would ft in well with what we have. Not sure what it would take to get him though.

Not sure I like the idea of putting a bigger center next to Wemby who can't shoot the ball. Gonna cringe every time he drives to the paint if there's nothing but feet around. I think finding a big with range is key... one of the reasons Collins seems like a good fit; however, doubtful Collins stays healthy a full season. Not sure I exactly like how Poeltl would fit next to Wemby tbh. Not really interested in 50% free throw shooters but it looks like he's likely to stay in Toronto anyway. I still like the Brook Lopez fit as well.
Sher Thing
AG
Yeah Lowry wouldn't be a bad signing. He seems like a good locker room guy as long as he's okay with a reduced role. Not really interested in seeing him play 30-35 mpg here.
Guitarsoup
AG
Just not a lot of FA centers.

• Kristaps
  • Naz Reid
  • Brook Lopez - 35yo
  • Jakob Poeltl
  • Dwight Powell (completely washed)
  • Nikola Vucevic (no defense)
  • Mo Bamba
  • Mason Plumlee (I think he goes back to Clippers)
  • Drew Eubanks
  • Chimezie Metu
  • Jock Landale (like half the guys are ex-Spurs)
  • Mo Wagner (probably stays in Orlando with his brother, adding a German to protect the French seems like a bad idea)
  • Trez Harrell (only 11mpg last year)
  • Paul Reed (only 10mpg last year)
  • Mike Muscala - 31yo, 16mpg for Boston. Can stretch defenses, would take on Vet Min
  • Willy Hernangomez - 29yo, no defense
  • Dario Saric 29yo, no D, stretch 5
  • Thomas Bryant, 25yo, Denver traded for him, then never played him. Can't defend anyone
  • Moses Brown - can rebound and nothing else
  • Mamu - current Spur, great passer, bad defender
  • Biyombo - has some defense, but rocks instead of hands
  • Boban - Great Center or Greatest Center?
Enzo The Baker
AG
I doubt we make any big moves. If I had to guess we re-sign KBD and Jones and sign someone like DiVincenzo.

I don't see us making any trades to improve the roster (more likely to take on salary for more draft capital). Giving up draft assets for a JV expiring contract doesn't make sense to me.
Guitarsoup
AG
I dont think anyone is giving picks for taking salaries.

They Warriors already said **** it and the Clippers seem to be saying that as well. Plus the Clippers don't have a pick until like 27 or so.

Utah just gave away a 2nd round pick for the right to pay John Collins' worthless ass 78mm.
Guitarsoup
AG

Stein says Lakers match no matter what. Also, the time limit for matching is down to 24 hours. I feel like it used to be a week.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Stein says Lakers match no matter what. Also, the time limit for matching is down to 24 hours. I feel like it used to be a week.

The 24 hour rule is awesome. Didn't know about that. It was way too punitive for the teams making the offer. Good move by the league.
Guitarsoup
AG
Just saw the Jonas rumors. I'd let them off load them for the cheap price of one Dyson Daniels.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.