***********2024-2025 San Antonio Spurs Thread********************

30,202 Views | 449 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by West Texan
West Texan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
West Texan
AG

Guitarsoup
AG
In 2017, the Celtics won 50+ games and had a pick swap with Brooklyn. Brooklyn won the lottery and had to jump back to #27. Boston traded that #1 pick for #3 and took Jason Tatum.

Having these swaps when Wemby is in his prime is gonna be great.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Spurs hit this trade out of the park. Another unprotected 1st round swap 7 years ahead from a professional sports team in Sacramento and a big starting wing who hits 39% from 3 on an easy to swallow two year contract.

If the Spurs aren't careful, they might make the playoffs next year.
Ag Natural
AG
This is undeniably a great trade for the Spurs.
flashplayer
AG
Sacramento is a young team but they've been a lottery team 2 of the last 3 years, including this year with Memphis behind them and now healthy, Houston getting better behind them, and Golden State dead even with them and making their last push with Curry.

It won't shock me if Sacramento's young team doesn't wind up working out and they are at best a fringe lottery team in 7 years. Their history is about as abysmal as Minnesota at staying relevant. Derozan is a ball dominant player who probably doesn't help their young guys develop either.
West Texan
AG
Lost in all this, here are Castle's highlights from tonight.

I thought he looked very solid. His handles and passing were better than I anticipated. He looked natural navigating the pick and roll and creating advantages for himself and teammates. The jumper looks smooth and should improve as he continues to work. I like the way he attacked the rim and didn't shy away from contact. Unfortunately, it didn't translate to him converting those attempts into points most of the time, but it's another tool he'll have to improve upon to be a threat offensively. The defense was as advertised. He navigates screens and moves his feet really well for such a young kid and keeps his hands up to be active in passing lanes.
West Texan
AG
Guitarsoup said:

In 2017, the Celtics won 50+ games and had a pick swap with Brooklyn. Brooklyn won the lottery and had to jump back to #27. Boston traded that #1 pick for #3 and took Jason Tatum.

Having these swaps when Wemby is in his prime is gonna be great.

Guitarsoup
AG
Every player in NBA history with the first name Harrison is currently on the Spurs.

Barnes and Ingram.
taylorswift13_
Really would have loved if we ended up with Markannen! After watching Wemby play with Gobert these pst few games, that high and low post game play with another big fits Wemby's skill set so well!
taylorswift13_
Thought we also had the Hawks 2025 as well?
flashplayer
AG
We have their pick, no swap needed.
taylorswift13_
flashplayer said:

We have their pick, no swap needed.
Cooper Flagg… you are a San Antonio Spur
superunknown
AG
Ag Natural said:

This is undeniably a great trade for the Spurs.

A couple of veterans to bridge the gap while the young lotto picks get adjusted.....this is an insanely good trade. Just on its face, you've got a veteran PG and a veteran 3 coming in that are no doubt better than last year's starters, with room to grow over the next couple of years. This is pretty stunning.
Ag Natural
AG
This trade looks pretty good for all three teams involved. The Spurs get a vet on a good contract for almost nothing. The Kings get DD on a pretty good contract. I guess they figured they need another scorer. And the Bulls are in tank mode and DD could have signed anywhere for nothing. They get 2 2nd rounders for the trouble.
Guitarsoup
AG
I don't think Barnes contract is good. He's essentially a replacement level player that clogs up almost $20M next year. His defense is not good, but his shooing is really efficient. If we were going to commit to $20M in cap space next year, we could have done better. And it looks like we are going to have to dump Julian and Bassey in the process.
Guitarsoup
AG
West Texan said:

Lost in all this, here are Castle's highlights from tonight.

I thought he looked very solid. His handles and passing were better than I anticipated. He looked natural navigating the pick and roll and creating advantages for himself and teammates. The jumper looks smooth and should improve as he continues to work. I like the way he attacked the rim and didn't shy away from contact. Unfortunately, it didn't translate to him converting those attempts into points most of the time, but it's another tool he'll have to improve upon to be a threat offensively. The defense was as advertised. He navigates screens and moves his feet really well for such a young kid and keeps his hands up to be active in passing lanes.
He is gonna be so so great
FTAG 2000
AG
Guitarsoup said:

I don't think Barnes contract is good. He's essentially a replacement level player that clogs up almost $20M next year. His defense is not good, but his shooing is really efficient. If we were going to commit to $20M in cap space next year, we could have done better. And it looks like we are going to have to dump Julian and Bassey in the process.

Preach it, GS.
FTAG 2000
AG
It's amazing how some folks are excited about this, or just think I want to ***** about everything.

We have what will be the best player in the world on our team, hopefully for many years.

You can't waste half (or more) of his rookie deal trying out G-Leaguers hoping to hit on the next Tony or Manu. The new CBA absolutely punishes teams when max guys are on their second or third deals. It's like the NFL - when you hit on a QB on his rookie deal, you can't sit around and wait until you'll be paying him 40-50 million to build a team around him, you've gotta push your chips in and maximize your window.

Further, with Wemby's height, history says his career will be shorter due to leg issues. Optimistically, based on history, we might see him be truly great for twelve years.

And some of you are okay with burning a quarter of his career surrounding him with trash that doesn't even give him a chance to complete for the title? Do you hear yourselves?

Do you think his camp is going to sit quietly by and just let Wright and his front office burn year after year of Wemby's window to acquire draft cap in 8-10 years? What do you guys think will be happening in 2027 at the end of his rookie deal if this team isn't top four in the league with a serious chance to win it all?

And finally, there's Brian Wright. Why does anyone think this guy is going to cash in all these picks for great draft talent? I see nothing out of him that tells me he'll peg the drafts as far as actually drafting 19-20 year olds to surround Wemby with.

We should be cashing in some of this treasure trove of picks to go get guys who have proven they can play NOW. Like Lauri.

As GS has noted, this Barnes trade impacts our cap next year, and not only that, we're going to have to dump some guys to fit him and Paul in. That dump probably means sending away some of our future picks to salary dump some guys on the squad. All so Pop could do his boy DeRozan a solid. What a guy.

Does anyone in this front office give a damn about contending here and now in Wemby's ridiculously cap friendly rookie deal, or just keeping the nice guys front office award on lock down while promising Wemby good things about their plans next decade?
Guitarsoup
AG
So much wrong with this post. No, we won't need to use firsts to move off any player on the roster.

The Spurs care about contending long term, not short term.

And I've asked before what moves you would have done to contend right now if you think it's actually possible and all we get is more *****ing
FTAG 2000
AG
Where did I say we'd have to use firsts to do that? I assume we will use future seconds to do that. Still doesn't change the fact we dented our cap this year and next for this.

As far as improving the squad, getting Lauri is the obvious one. We have what thirteen first rounders over the next eight years? Use some of those plus Collins or Keldon to go get the Robin to Wemby's Batman.

Then root for Atl to be awful next year and cash in that pick.

The other is a retrospective. We should have used the number eight, but essentially traded that to help create the bulk of the cap space for the Kings deal. At the end of the day, you need guys who can shoot the three in today's NBA and we continue to sorely lack in that department.
superunknown
AG
Guitarsoup
AG
FTAG 2000 said:

Where did I say we'd have to use firsts to do that? I assume we will use future seconds to do that. Still doesn't change the fact we dented our cap this year and next for this.

As far as improving the squad, getting Lauri is the obvious one. We have what thirteen first rounders over the next eight years? Use some of those plus Collins or Keldon to go get the Robin to Wemby's Batman.

Then root for Atl to be awful next year and cash in that pick.

The other is a retrospective. We should have used the number eight, but essentially traded that to help create the bulk of the cap space for the Kings deal. At the end of the day, you need guys who can shoot the three in today's NBA and we continue to sorely lack in that department.

Barnes and Paul are both proven 3pt shooters and upgrades there.

Who GAF about 2nd rounders? We have a couple dozen of them.

We do not have 13 first round picks available and Ainge wants 5-6 firsts for Lauri. That's like the Paul George trade, only you aren't getting an All-NBA player with a long contract. You are getting an injury prone fringe all star with subpar defense.

Additionally, Lauri is only marginally better as a shooter than Barnes. Barnes is 61% TS to 63% on Lauri. Barnes also has more valuable playoff experience, being a starter on a championship team and starter on a finals team as well while Lauri has never actually played in a playoff games. Barnes is also more dependable, playing 77, 82 and 82 games the last 3 years while Lauri has never played 70 games in a season and plays fewer than Anthony Davis per season on average.

We also traded that 8 pick for a future unprotected first and unprotected swap and it allowed us to get another unprotected swap and all three are from two historically awful teams.

I don't see that using all the cap space and picks on Lauri would make us contend for the title. I am not really find of Barnes but he's a great locker room guy by all accounts and a really good shooter at a position of need.
Ag Natural
AG
FTAG 2000 said:

It's amazing how some folks are excited about this, or just think I want to ***** about everything.

We have what will be the best player in the world on our team, hopefully for many years.

You can't waste half (or more) of his rookie deal trying out G-Leaguers hoping to hit on the next Tony or Manu. The new CBA absolutely punishes teams when max guys are on their second or third deals. It's like the NFL - when you hit on a QB on his rookie deal, you can't sit around and wait until you'll be paying him 40-50 million to build a team around him, you've gotta push your chips in and maximize your window.

Further, with Wemby's height, history says his career will be shorter due to leg issues. Optimistically, based on history, we might see him be truly great for twelve years.

And some of you are okay with burning a quarter of his career surrounding him with trash that doesn't even give him a chance to complete for the title? Do you hear yourselves?

Do you think his camp is going to sit quietly by and just let Wright and his front office burn year after year of Wemby's window to acquire draft cap in 8-10 years? What do you guys think will be happening in 2027 at the end of his rookie deal if this team isn't top four in the league with a serious chance to win it all?

And finally, there's Brian Wright. Why does anyone think this guy is going to cash in all these picks for great draft talent? I see nothing out of him that tells me he'll peg the drafts as far as actually drafting 19-20 year olds to surround Wemby with.

We should be cashing in some of this treasure trove of picks to go get guys who have proven they can play NOW. Like Lauri.

As GS has noted, this Barnes trade impacts our cap next year, and not only that, we're going to have to dump some guys to fit him and Paul in. That dump probably means sending away some of our future picks to salary dump some guys on the squad. All so Pop could do his boy DeRozan a solid. What a guy.

Does anyone in this front office give a damn about contending here and now in Wemby's ridiculously cap friendly rookie deal, or just keeping the nice guys front office award on lock down while promising Wemby good things about their plans next decade?

Who are you getting in this fantasy world you live in ? Barnes is an upgrade and he's making 18m this year and 19m next. That is a massive bargain in this day and age. We will find out it Wemby is ready to win now.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Guitarsoup said:

What UFA will be available next summer? Lauri is a possible one but honestly, I see the Spurs just as easily doing a sign and trade with someone, which is far more common nowadays for a big name, than to sign someone out right. We will have Barnes, Collins and Johnson's(?) expiring salaries plus a crap load of second round picks we can throw in to acquire who we want via a s&t.

In the meantime Barnes is an adult with championship experience. Between him and Paul alone, next year is going to be an entirely different level of competence than last year. I think our young core's growth is going to be expedited. I love the deal even without the 2031 swap to be honest.
Sher Thing
AG
I think it is a good deal for SA. People complain that the FO does nothing and then when they do something they still complain. It is what it is.

Barnes brings experience to a roster that doesn't have much. He's a good dude off the court and a very efficient player who can shoot the ball. Is he some amazing player? No but he's definitely still useful and an upgrade over what the Spurs currently have at the position. I don't see his $19mm expiring deal next year causing any issues at all. The Spurs could easily move that if they needed to.

Then factor in the fact that you get another unprotected pick swap when Wemby will be 27 years old from a franchise that isn't necessarily known for winning and this becomes a good deal. I think the Spurs are doing a good job at keeping their eyes set on the future while putting together a solid playoff roster for this upcoming season.

I don't think the Spurs are done yet either so it's probably a little early to judge the offseason. Those complaining because we aren't bringing in some all-star this of-season to play with a 20 year old Wemby just haven't been paying attention and don't understand how this process works.
taylorswift13_
PG - Chris Paul
SG - Devin Vassell
SF - Harrison Barnes
PF - Jeremy Sochan
C - Victor Wembanyama

Bench
Tre Jones
Stephon Castle
Julian Champagnie
Keldon Johnson
Zach Collins
taylorswift13_
I'd say that's a team that will contend and be in the play in… no ceiling on a Wemby team! He's gonna take a jump next year and with veterans like CP3 and Barnes on the court with him they'll know how to utilize him a lot more! Now our bench is even stronger!!

I still wish we'd use Wemby at the 4 and have another big man playing with him! Wemby is versatile enough to work with another big
Obi Wan Ginobili
Barnes was a great get for a couple pennies. Hopefully the rookies/younger guys absorb whatever he can give this season, maybe they knock down some 3s around Wemby, and we sneak into the back end of the playoff field.

Next season, he's an expiring contract/good role player. Spurs likely flip him next season for even more draft capital or as part of a bigger deal for players/picks.

I think Brian Wright is a dork, but I doubt he's unilaterally making these decisions. I'll trust the cumulative of the front office and Pop working together.

With the way the lottery works, assuming it doesn't change, Spurs have a serious chance to be a playoff team with 2-3 years of top 5 picks to go with it. They might have to change the rules if OKC and San Antonio spend the end of the 2020's just beating the **** out of everyone.
LawHall88
AG
Quote:

As for the Spurs, they had to include a second-round pick in a separate trade with Charlotte just to pull this off, dumping Devonte' Graham's partial guarantee so they could fit Barnes into their cap sheet. San Antonio received a potentially valuable swap in 2031, but it's six years away and might end up not worth anything. For the Spurs, this is basically a bet on Victor Wembanyama being both awesome and healthy, and the Kings being the Kangz.

The Spurs also smartly parked this swap in 2031 - they already have two swaps in 2030, an unfortunate circumstance of Minnesota having nothing else to trade them on draft night, and additional swaps have diminishing value because you can only swap your own draft pick once.

San Antonio may also be able to double-dip on this trade later if it can get a good year out of Barnes, who tailed off in 2023-24 but is 32 and shoots 37.9 percent career from 3. (This is notable since the Spurs actually started attempting 3s last year; they just couldn't make any.) Twelve months from now, one season of Barnes at $19 million (if he waives his trade kicker) might look like a different value proposition.

Still, taking on a pick swap to take on undesired money is one way to play the cap room game … but the Spurs also could have signed a player into that room. Even if it was a veteran, the Spurs could potentially have reaped much more than a pick swap by signing a player and trading him later.

Of course, that route is filled with unknowns, and the Barnes trade is a known. Other teams in their position have had trouble using cap space effectively this summer (witness the Detroit Pistons and Utah Jazz); the Spurs, if nothing else, gave themselves home-run upside with the unprotected swap.
https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5621395/2024/07/07/demar-derozan-trade-kings-bulls-spurs/
Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Guitarsoup said:

What UFA will be available next summer? Lauri is a possible one but honestly, I see the Spurs just as easily doing a sign and trade with someone, which is far more common nowadays for a big name, than to sign someone out right. We will have Barnes, Collins and Johnson's(?) expiring salaries plus a crap load of second round picks we can throw in to acquire who we want via a s&t.

In the meantime Barnes is an adult with championship experience. Between him and Paul alone, next year is going to be an entirely different level of competence than last year. I think our young core's growth is going to be expedited. I love the deal even without the 2031 swap to be honest.

Myles Turner
Naz Reid
Kuminga
Caruso
Gobert
Aaron Gordon
Jamal Murray

I don't hate Barnes, and think he and Paul will be major plusses as mentors and locker room guys and we needed the veteran leadership.

Johnson isn't expiring but it is declining. I don't think it will be hard to move off anyone.
West Texan
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Enzo The Baker said:

Guitarsoup said:

Myles Turner
Naz Reid
Kuminga
Caruso
Gobert
Aaron Gordon
Jamal Murray

I don't hate Barnes, and think he and Paul will be major plusses as mentors and locker room guys and we needed the veteran leadership.

Johnson isn't expiring but it is declining. I don't think it will be hard to move off anyone.

Indiana will extend Turner
I like Naz Reid and depending on his price, wouldn't mind inquiring about him
GS is either going to extend and keep Kuminga or use him to try and bring in someone for one last run with Steph
OKC will extend Caruso, but man I'd love to have him
Minny has to extend Gobert and see if they can make a run with him. They don't control any of their picks to make other moves around Ant.
Denver definitely keeps Murray and probably Gordon as well

Of the guys listed, Naz Reid is the only one that I think could realistically be available. His ability to stretch the floor would fit with Wemby and he's able to move his feet enough to switch some on the perimeter. I'm sure Minnesota (if they decide to let him walk) will want to work some kind of sign and trade for him. Like you said, Barnes contract wouldn't be hard to move at that point as an expiring contract.
Guitarsoup
AG
West Texan said:

Guitarsoup said:

Enzo The Baker said:

Guitarsoup said:

Myles Turner
Naz Reid
Kuminga
Caruso
Gobert
Aaron Gordon
Jamal Murray

Indiana will extend Turner
I like Naz Reid and depending on his price, wouldn't mind inquiring about him
GS is either going to extend and keep Kuminga or use him to try and bring in someone for one last run with Steph
OKC will extend Caruso, but man I'd love to have him
Minny has to extend Gobert and see if they can make a run with him. They don't control any of their picks to make other moves around Ant.
Denver definitely keeps Murray and probably Gordon as well

Of the guys listed, Naz Reid is the only one that I think could realistically be available. His ability to stretch the floor would fit with Wemby and he's able to move his feet enough to switch some on the perimeter. I'm sure Minnesota (if they decide to let him walk) will want to work some kind of sign and trade for him. Like you said, Barnes contract wouldn't be hard to move at that point as an expiring contract.

It's hard to predict what teams are going to implode at this point with the apron rules. I never would have thought that Denver would not match the 3y year for KCP.

Pacers are at 142M for 10 players before resigning Turner, McConnell, Jackson, etc. just Turner puts them past the 2nd apron.

So like others have said, that space is useful for bringing in a player, especially when teams are hard capped or pressed for space.

Caruso+Naz would be a pretty incredible off season, especially if our pick is an SF.
West Texan
AG
MookieBlaylock
AG
Still should have drafted Bronny - he is dominant

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.