*** The Concert Thread ***

219,119 Views | 2405 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by 62strat
cc10106
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ol Jock 99
AG
That means we get Pus-hit tomorrow in Dallas.
62strat
AG
man not a single song from aenima in austin.

That sucks. They already did a FI tour, wonder why it's still so heavy in the setlist, and the exact same 5 as the 2020 austin stop.
Goldie Wilson
Was able to grab weekend tickets to Newport Folk Fest. Now the waiting game to see who is actually playing this year
maroon barchetta

Aggie Therapist
AG
The Eagles have landed
Ol Jock 99
AG
Pregaming at Billy Can Can.

johnnyblaze36
AG
Had a blast at TOOL in Austin and thought they were incredible but it drives me nuts that they don't play any of my top 5-10 favorite songs of theirs which are all their biggest and most well known. Makes no sense.

Also, Ticketmaster is such a joke. Just two hours ago they suddenly released a large number of seats in the first five rows dead center behind the soundboard in section 112 and also floor seats all for $199 each. Those were all previously going for well over $300 face value.
jorgerr96
Just for future reference this happens very often with shows. They had front row for Bryan Adams last night at around 3 pm. Sometimes they won't go live on the website and only at the box office.

I remember when Chase Center dropped a full front row for the opening night of Metallica S&M 2 at face value the morning of. Fans that overpaid or missed out on the original sale were pissed lol.
jorgerr96
Like I said end of last year I've been trying to cut down on shows this year (cutting down from 100 shows to around 45-50 is what I'd like), but I did buy for Rob Zombie and Justin Timberlake today. Gonna try to just see people I really am a big fan of and haven't seen before, but obviously if a band I really really like I'll try do 2-3 shows if the travel is easy. Ideally I'd like to see Vampire Weekend book Red Rocks since they are dropping album 5 this year.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Great success!!

Ol Jock 99
AG
Quote:

Had a blast at TOOL in Austin and thought they were incredible but it drives me nuts that they don't play any of my top 5-10 favorite songs of theirs which are all their biggest and most well known. Makes no sense.
I think a lot of it is Maynard's vocal range. Dude turns 60 this year.
johnnyblaze36
AG
jorgerr96 said:

Just for future reference this happens very often with shows. They had front row for Bryan Adams last night at around 3 pm. Sometimes they won't go live on the website and only at the box office.

I remember when Chase Center dropped a full front row for the opening night of Metallica S&M 2 at face value the morning of. Fans that overpaid or missed out on the original sale were pissed lol.
Yeah I usually wait until the last minute these days but I wasn't seeing any price dropping for Tool so got trigger happy and uncharacterastically purchased the day before. I was able to score 8th row tcenter o the Cure last year in Dallas an hour before the show and have gotten really good seats to others just beforehand.

It's just such bs the way TM operates but that's nothing new.
johnnyblaze36
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

Quote:

I had the same thought after I posted that.
62strat
AG
johnnyblaze36 said:

Ol Jock 99 said:

Quote:

I had the same thought after I posted that.
I think it's also what I alluded to earlier in the thread; they are still heavy on Fear Inoc, and that takes up ~1 hour of the set.
So there just isn't much time left, especially when what is left contains a lot of 7-8+ min songs as well, or rosetta stoned, clocking in over 11 min.

It's like Opeth for me. They always close with deliverance, so that's 13 minutes of the 90. With an average song length of 7-8+, you just aren't getting a lot of songs. Add in they have 12+ albums.. it's really spread thin.

At least Tool only has 4-5 albums they really play from.
maroon barchetta
Who was it that said they went and saw Dream Theater and they did a two-hour show and played nine songs?
Ol Jock 99
AG
Fear Inoc is super technical on the music and more chill on the vocals too.

I really hope they have one more album left in them.
sanitariex
AG
The Dallas show last night was incredible. My first time seeing Tool, been wanting to see them since Latwralus came out, so glad I finally checked that one off.
LouisHerbertWong
AG
sanitariex said:

The Dallas show last night was incredible. My first time seeing Tool, been wanting to see them since Latwralus came out, so glad I finally checked that one off.

Congrats! And keep at it. They're just as good nearly 15 concerts in.
KidDoc
AG
What other bands to you tool fans enjoy? I'm a typical 80s hard rock fella. Love me some Iron Maiden, ACDC, Metallica, Van Halen, Tesla, etc but Tool is generally terrible for me. Saw them at Power Trip and yuck, hated it.

I know everyone has different opinions on music of course, just so weird how some people love Tool so much.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Know Your Enemy
AG
I can only take Tool in small doses. I respect the hell out of their talent but it's just too much to wrap my head around most of the time. I've seen them live 2-3 times and I'm ready to go after about 30-45 minutes.
62strat
AG
You certainly have to have a desire to listen to music that demands attention. My wife is not on that spectrum at all. If she is it sees the next song pop up on my random playlist and it's 8 minutes, she'll sigh and want to change it.

But I like the simple stuff too. It's why I love Devin Townsend, he has something for nearly any kind of mood I may be in. Short poppy song, drawn out rock/guitar centric song, acoustic feel good number, synth heavy/80s sound, country-ish, chill out new age, blistering heavy, proggy as hell journey song….

You get the idea.

So any tool fans that don't know him, should check it out.
spadilly
S
88Warrior
Saw the Steely Dan and Eagles concert Saturday at the Moody Center in Austin..Musically SD sounded great..vocally though, age has caught up with ***en (obviously when you're 76).. still a good show…Eagles were great musically as always..vocally they are starting to show intermittent *****s in the armor but nothing like ***en…Seems about right for them to hang it up while still sounding strong…Glad we went!
62strat
AG
KidDoc said:

I know everyone has different opinions on music of course, just so weird how some people love Tool so much.
I would also throw in Opeth.

You have to be able to tolerate death metal growls mixed in, but his singing voice is stellar, and out of their 12+ albums, 5 of them have zero growls on the entire album.

I think I like opeth more than tool. Maybe some of that has to do with the ability to go see them at a smaller venue for $50, and get right up front, and they have a much broader range of styles and genres that they incorporate. Much more music of course as well.

While what adam jones does isn't necessarily easy, it doesn't take a ton of technical talent.. it's all just timing.

Opeth guitars on the other hand are off the charts difficult, and the dude even sings. I have a hard time playing his riffs while not singing.
I'd say drumming is nearly on par with Danny carey

TXAG 05
AG
spadilly said:

Sitting in Kyle Field in the middle of summer sounds fun. At least it would be at night, so it maybe wouldn't be that bad.
LandArchSA
AG
I will have to say that Tool for me is a mix of liking the music (although the last album doesn't do much for me) and pure nostalgia. First time I saw them was 93 at Lollapalozza, and then at the Austin Opera house not long after that. I guess I was hooked with the early stuff and then keep reliving some of those memories over the course of 30 years whenever I get the chance to see them live.

Other music tastes are all over the map, but I have found rock to be my mainstay. 80s/90s groups (Pearl Jam, Van Halen, Dire Straits, Primus, Rush, AIC) are on regular rotation, but recently I've come to like bands such as Manchester Orchestra and The War on Drugs.
LandArchSA
AG
Glad to see I'm not the only dad who has had their kids wear ear protection. Kudos to you. Now if I can only remember to do that for myself...

Glad it was a good show!
maroon barchetta
This will help you remember.

AstroAggie15
AG
KidDoc
AG
AstroAggie15 said:

AC/DC was really impressive last fall at Power Trip.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
jorgerr96
Just bought pit for Lamb of God/Mastodon and floor seat for Creed in Austin.

Bob Dylan announced for ACL Live but I think I will pass, or get a cheap seat day of. I saw Dylan in 2022, I knew what to expect but that was still interesting...
TXAG 05
AG
Saw Dylan at Smart Financial in Sugar Land a few years ago. It was better than I expected, although I wasn't expecting a whole lot. Glad I saw him, but don't ever need to see him again.
maroon barchetta

KidDoc
AG
maroon barchetta said:

This picture needs to include the artist as well.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.