***** THE ACOLYTE Show Discussion (see note inside) Thread *****

155,806 Views | 1971 Replies | Last: 11 days ago by Cinco Ranch Aggie
redline248
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BQRyno said:

Apologies if this has been addressed - why did they make Star Wars combat into to Matrix? Has there ever been this much hand to hand combat by Jedi before? Feels weird and forced.

Also, the pacing feels super off. The story has potential. The acting is either bad or intentionally flat as has been mentioned by many. It just feels off.
Not necessarily by Jedi, but Chirrut - who probably had some force acuity - whipped a bunch of Stormtrooper ass with Kung Fu in Rogue One
The Porkchop Express
AG
redline248 said:

The Porkchop Express said:

Watching a few scenes again, there's a lot of black smoke that the Jedi did something really sketchy 16 years ago on Osha's home world. Mae references a crime that Torbin should confess to the Jedi council, Sol covered up that Osha had a twin at all in her records, and both Torbin and Kelbaccas are in some sort of isolation - Torbin in his trance and Kelbacca living all alone. Did the JEdi try to take Osha/Mae and it came to a fight?

Also of interest is why Osha left the order at all? Seems like they went through a lot of trouble to get her.
100% something weird happened. Mae thought Osha was dead. Osha thought Mae was dead. I think even the origin of the fire is questionable? Sol might not even know all the stuff that Torbin knew, since he claimed he saw Mae dead, but Torbin said he's been waiting for her.

I bet Sol, and whoever else, hid record of the twin bc the council might have been worried even more about Osha's grief and whether she could let it go.
Here a few really interesting screen shots from the trailer in lieu of what we now know.

A much younger Sol offering either young Mae or Osha a lightsaber in a room full of cloaked people.

Torbin, here as a padawan, in the same dark chamber.

The presumed witches - including a Zabrak. All look female (multiple mothers?)

Mother ain't happy

Torbin blacks out somehow. Kelbacca on the right

Young Sol and Indara

One of the witches left the oven on

Feels so good, feelin' good again.
redline248
AG
Torbin's black eyes...
vmiaptetr
AG
Just nuke the whole thread. We can try again after episode 3 is released.
redline248
AG
I want to go back to the "Jedi only pulls the lightsaber if intending to kill" line. Inara immediately shuts it down. Do we think it's because she thought it was Osha? Or she knew it was Mae and wanted to try and help her?

I'm not so sure I buy that logic anyway.
Sq1dvm
AG
I enjoyed it enough that I'll keep watching. My prediction is Mae tries to convince Osha to take out Sol for her "weaponless kill".
redline248
AG
Sq1dvm said:

I enjoyed it enough that I'll keep watching. My prediction is Mae tries to convince Osha to take out Sol for her "weaponless kill".
I do kind of wonder if instead of a redemption arc we get a fall, similar to Anakin. Osha is so angered by the past she can't forget, so bent on revenge that she ends up succumbing to the Dark Side.

"The Acolyte" doesn't have to be Mae, in that context
BadMoonRisin
AG
I'm just going to share the actual video, for the rest of the thread who might be unfamiliar with the meme

redline248
AG
I rewatched the scene where Mae reveals herself to Osha and leads her down memory lane. That stuff about "You're with me, and I'm with you. Always one, but born as two," definitely had me thinking multiple personality at first. Also in that scene, kid Mae's eyes turn black like in that screenshot of Tommen - er, Torbin...
The Porkchop Express
AG
redline248 said:

I want to go back to the "Jedi only pulls the lightsaber if intending to kill" line. Inara immediately shuts it down. Do we think it's because she thought it was Osha? Or she knew it was Mae and wanted to try and help her?

I'm not so sure I buy that logic anyway.

Mae seems to be operating under some very specific protocol. Saying attack me jedi with all your strength, the lightsaber line, etc. That does make her sound like an acolyte- someone indoctrinated to one belief system who knows nothing else. Possible that indara recognizes that as being someone taught that mentality and decides to try and keep her talking by not using the lightsaber to end the fight?
TCTTS
AG
Hmmm…

Quad Dog
AG
Finally got to watch the two episodes. My son and I really liked it. This is the kind of Star Wars I want. Not related to Skywalkers, no Empire. Just a mystery and investigation story set in a Star Wars wrapper. With a cool bad guy reveal at the end of the first episode.
The flight scenes are very cool with good uses of force powers in those fights.
I wish the pace was slower. Mae wants to kill 4 Jedi and two are already dead in as many episodes. They are also planet hopping like crazy. I think they need to slow down and let us get to know the characters a little better. I don't even think I know their names yet.

The girl is doing very well playing both twins differently.

Have the Jedi ever been good at their job, this show makes me think "no"

My son joked that the dagger used against Inara was more deadly than most light sabers
The Collective
AG
Quote:

We are happy to report that #TheAcolyte is "arguably the gayest #StarWars" yet.

I choose to read this sentence as my 90s self.
TCTTS
AG
Could this check out? Curiously, the only time so far that Osha/Mae saw each other, no one else saw them together. That, and they were on the same planet together in episode two, thus Osha could have technically done what Mae did. The only thing that might not add up is, what was Mae doing at the exact moment Osha was physically jailed on that ship?
Quad Dog
AG
I think there's been too much happening while the good twin was under observation or arrest for it to be a Fight Club situation.

Hopefully the writers know that a Fight Club situation has to live up to people rewinding and analyzing every second. I don't think it would live up to that analysis.
TCTTS
AG
You're probably right.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS said:

Could this check out? Curiously, the only time so far that Osha/Mae saw each other, no one else saw them together. That, and they were on the same planet together in episode two, thus Osha could have technically done what Mae did. The only thing that might not add up is, what was Mae doing at the exact moment Osha was physically jailed on that ship?

I called it a few pages back.
i is smart
AG
I don't believe they're taking that direction, but after reading your comment, I instantly thought of a mix of magical elements and force projection.
Mathguy64
AG
The first attempt on Torbin (floating untouchable Jedi) was while Osha was with Sol. Mae has to be real.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, it could be in the vein of Luke projecting his "ghost"/likeness across the galaxy.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Technically not. We see Mae give him the poison, but could've been misleading editing and it actually happened the previous day.
Mathguy64
AG
The first attempt where she failed.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Also no indication these scenes are actually happening simultaneously.
Red Five
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Also no indication these scenes are actually happening simultaneously.
Vernestra says the first break in happened while Sol had Osha in custody on Carlac.
i is smart
AG
TCTTS said:

Yeah, it could be in the vein of Luke projecting his "ghost"/likeness across the galaxy.

Do we know how Marrok, the mysterious Inquisitor in Ahsoka, was resurrected by Morgan? Both whatever the hell that was and Luke's force projection are in canon.
The Porkchop Express
AG
i is smart said:

I don't believe they're taking that direction, but after reading your comment, I instantly thought of a mix of magical elements and force projection.
There's also this, straight from the opening crawl

But in the dark corners of the galaxy, a powerful few learn to use the Force in secret.

Which we can always tie to this:

Which would really open Pandora's box of what could be possible. I've trying to concoct some sort of theory like what happens in "Us" about Mae and Osha perhaps being switched, or switching themselves even, but I can't really come up with anything plausible, other than this:

Osha figures out what happened on her planet, and that the Jedi were to blame.
She leaves the Order
She goes home, finds Mae, who is happy and healthy and doing whatever.
Osha somehow mind wipes Mae and takes her place, convincing Mae she's a Jedi Padawan who left the order to be a mechanic
Osha (now calling herself Mae), already having all the Jedi training, now goes in search of someone to help her get revenge on the Masters. If you combine 10 years of Jedi training with x number of years under Deep Voice Sithy McSithSith, you've have a pretty formidable warrior.

But it's a huge stretch.
AggieOO
All this complaining and normal a single mention of the fire that broke out in space essentially in the first scene.
BQRyno
AG
AggieOO said:

All this complaining and normal a single mention of the fire that broke out in space essentially in the first scene.

Even my wife called BS on that. How did nobody involved say "hey, that doesn't make sense"?
Quad Dog
AG
Meh. Star Wars has always played fast and lose with the rules of space.
The Porkchop Express
AG
In a galaxy far, far away, who is to say what space is comprised of?
TCTTS
AG
I'm not fully endorsing this theory, but it's one that combines a couple discussion points so far… what if the Jedi and the witches we're about to meet (where Osha/Mae are from) were working together to somehow bring forth "the one" from the prophecy (kind of sort of like a Bene Gesserit situation), who brings balance to the force, and create that balance in the same person? But it goes horribly wrong and the result is either a Fight Club-like scenario in the same person - or - it somehow spawned two different people/twins, one light and one dark?
veryfuller
Staff
AG
Just watched both episodes. I'm entertained and intrigued. Nothing really new to add except the weird thing I picked up on: when Sol was training younglings, the girl saw "fire that consumes everything". I think she was reading him. I think he is the guy in the mask. When he questions Mae later in their fight in episode 2, he is prodding to see if she knows the masked man's identity, which it seems she doesn't. He is covering for himself. I think he purposely separated the twins and trained them to set up whatever is in motion now. Perhaps the prophecy of the one bringing balance to the force he took as two sides to a coin, or twins, one dark and one light.
The Porkchop Express
AG
veryfuller said:

Just watched both episodes. I'm entertained and intrigued. Nothing really new to add except the weird thing I picked up on: when Sol was training younglings, the girl saw "fire that consumes everything". I think she was reading him. I think he is the guy in the mask. When he questions Mae later in their fight in episode 2, he is prodding to see if she knows the masked man's identity, which it seems she doesn't. He is covering for himself. I think he purposely separated the twins and trained them to set up whatever is in motion now. Perhaps the prophecy of the one bringing balance to the force he took as two sides to a coin, or twins, one dark and one light.
On that note, the place where she mees with "Him" could be entirely in their minds. It looks like Ach-to Island from Episodes 7-9; could it be like their version of a Zoom meeting green screen?
redline248
AG
So, because the sequels gave us a Force duality, or whatever, I can't completely dismiss any theories. I simply think that in most cases the people who write these shows are not that creative.

I don't remember which show it was that people on this site were coming up with all kinds of twists and stuff and then were completely underwhelmed by what actually happened. Maybe Westworld? There might have even been some of it in Ahsoka.
i is smart
AG
I agree with you, but damn it's definitely an entertaining theory to consider.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.