***** THE ACOLYTE Show Discussion (see note inside) Thread *****

155,663 Views | 1971 Replies | Last: 11 days ago by Cinco Ranch Aggie
Charlie Conway
How long do you want to ignore this user?
You don't have to search far, pretty boy jedi pulls his to use as a flashlight later in the episode.
jokershady
AG
i mean it was done in the rise of skywalker and both jedi fallen order and survivor games for sure.....can't remember if it was done in any of the cartoons but it's nothing new
Joan Wilder
AG
Finally watched the first 2 episodes last night and it didn't land with me. The sets looked like bad 60s soundstages and the dialogue and acting, apart from Sol and the actress playing Osha, was stiff and stilted. I'll keep watching, and I hope it improves.

I just re-watched Andor so I recognize that some of my criticism is because of how good that show was.
Maximus_Meridius
AG
Watched last night. I'm…underwhelmed, I guess. I didn't really know what to expect, but the plot points have just seemed so predictable to me at this point. I'm gonna keep watching, but I'm hoping that the writing gets better soon. It's not bad, really, just not…great.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Deadline reports 4.8 million viewers in the first 24 hours.

Show is expected to run multiple seasons.and a second season is presently in active development with a writers' room.

Also say this note for the first time:

One of the first things the article does is state that one of the key influences on The Acolyte is Rashmon, the Akira Kurosawa jidaigeki film about a murder seen by four different observers and recounted in different ways
The Porkchop Express
AG
I just noticed what happened on pages 5 and 6.

very high praise to Mods for course correcting this thread.

Sincere thanks.

jokershady
AG
I will say that while I'm cautiously optimistic about the show this far….ive heard rumblings that it's gonna get worse….take that with a grain of salt cause it's unknown to me what some other folks agenda might be…..so I hope they're wrong…..

Also….with there being a lone wookie character I'm curious how the communication is gonna work unless these Jedi speak wookese or whatever it's called……
The Porkchop Express
AG
jokershady said:

I will say that while I'm cautiously optimistic about the show this far….ive heard rumblings that it's gonna get worse….take that with a grain of salt cause it's unknown to me what some other folks agenda might be…..so I hope they're wrong…..

Also….with there being a lone wookie character I'm curious how the communication is gonna work unless these Jedi speak wookese or whatever it's called……
You damn speciest.

It's Shyriiwook!

jeffk
AG
I was entertained and *think* it's heading in an interesting direction, so I'll definitely keep watching. Hopefully they keep the story tight and stick the landing.

Dafne Keen is checking off property boxes like a boss. Already been a mutant in the Marvel Universe (X-23 in Logan) and now an alien Jedi padewan in Star Wars.
redline248
AG
My son has this

vmiaptetr
AG
My favorite piece from any review that I read was by Eric Goldman at IGN:

"The appearance by the Trade Federation and the Neimoidians here who, thankfully, sound a lot less like racist caricatures than those in The Phantom Menace feels like a purposeful nod to that connection."

My son and I went to see the re-release of The Phantom Menace last month, and I remember thinking, "Wow, the Neimoidians sound really bad." Amazing what 25 years does.
i is smart
AG
Busted ass reply. Fine, I won't provide anymore jerk face haha.

ETA: Meant to use winky face emoji. Not actually mad lol.
TV Casualty
AG
vmiaptetr said:

My favorite piece from any review that I read was by Eric Goldman at IGN:

"The appearance by the Trade Federation and the Neimoidians here who, thankfully, sound a lot less like racist caricatures than those in The Phantom Menace

The trade federation were racist caricatures?
vmiaptetr
AG
I believe he was referring to the Neimoidians.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
This whole fire thing is dumb as hell.

There's also no sound in space. People know that right? But nobody gives a **** about that.
redline248
AG
For what it's worth, I don't care about it. The dumb tweet is dumb, but all the responses are also dumb. Just ignore it
The Porkchop Express
AG
Anyone watching Star Wars or any other space movie through the lens of pure science will be massively disappointed from start to finish.

It builds straight into my theory of pre-social media, when we saw something weird or dumb or whatever in a piece of media , we talked about it with our friends and either laughed about it or got told we were dumb.

Now, we something weird or dumb or whatever in a piece of media and we immediately have to blast it on social media as shocking or controversial or upsetting.

There just can't be that many things upsetting people on a day to day basis. they just like being click *****s
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
If there is no fire in space, WTF is the sun doing up there?
i is smart
AG
Hopefully the memeability of the show picks up. I tried my best to work with what we have. I noticed there's not many on Reddit either.
Moral High Horse
Rings of power had like 25 million. We're going to be seeing a lot of this show. A lot.
Moral High Horse
But seriously, I want a Porkins backstory with Seth Rogen.
ja86
AG
Isn't Seth Rogen a skinny health freak now?
redline248
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I don't know how I missed this video before, and I'm sure this is old news for everyone now...but there is a brief clip of Kelnacca and Sol fighting. And it doesn't look like sparring
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
ja86 said:

Isn't Seth Rogen a skinny health freak now?

Porkins was skinny originally and then gained weight when his buddy James Franco was killed by the Empire
Cliff.Booth

This guy was able to pinpoint some of the issues I've had with the first two episodes that have me frustrated with it.
PatAg
AG
Cliff.Booth said:

This guy was able to pinpoint some of the issues I've had with the first two episodes that have me frustrated with it.

I did think that they made a similar mistake to a few other star wars shows so far...give us an opening 5-10 minute scene that actually grounds us in teh story and actually lends emotion to all of the scenes that follow.

I do wonder if they think whatever reveal will come in future episodes was worth not showing us the "death by fire" scene, and what all the Jedi did.

"better than season 3 of mandalorian, which is a win" is a summary I can agree with.
Its been better than any non-andor show lately and interested to see where it goes. But I also didnt have super high expectations going into it, and Im just superating my overall disappointment with Disney's run of shows from this show.
Velvet Jones
AG
Cliff.Booth said:

This video is perfect. The Acolyte isn't the worst thing I've watched, but through two episodes at least it's...not good.

I'll keep watching, I guess, but I'm also guessing I'll also want my time back.

OTOH, I'm probably late to the party with the Icons series on Prime. Fascinating watch into behind the scenes of Star Wars.

redline248
AG
The best point this video made is why does the show look cheap when it costs so much? A couple of wide pans of a planet as we transition scenes can't cost that much. Did they have to spend that much to acquire the actors?
twilly
AG
Was thinking about the 4.8M views stat. Where are the views coming from?

For years, Disney has been trying to get Star Wars grounded in the far east with abysmal results. It's pretty clear in the first 5 minutes of this show is targeting to the far east martial arts genre.

Walk up, challenge a mighty warrior, fight to the death. Pretty common scene in martial arts movies.

Could the increase in views be from China? Did Disney finally break through the Eastern wall?
CheeseSndwch
The "attack me with all your strength" line(s) reminded me of the "attack me with everything you have" line from Kill Bill, when Beatrice is fighting O-Ren Ishii.

Knowing Tarantino's propensity to pay homage to other movies, does that line come from a famous film?
Cliff.Booth
Is it because they went for a "statement hire" for director? If that's the case is a lot of the production crew out of their depth as well? If I had Disney money to spend I'd spend a lot of it hiring the most experienced, capable people I could. The material is there to make a compelling story, but we end up with something that looks like film school projects instead of quality.
fig96
AG
They have like 150 million subscribers worldwide, 4.8 million is easily possible for a new show based on a popular property. And a lot of us are enjoying it so far.
redline248
AG
Yeah, I think the numbers at the end are more important in measuring the quality of the show. I hope they maintain or go up.
Ornithopter
AG
Why does Mae try to grab Indara and Sols lightsabers? That's going to be a thing.
Madmarttigan
AG
The first few reviews on here were about how good the show looked and I was wondering if we were watching the same show.

I honestly can't tell why some shows like game of thrones and Andor have way better cinematography and look for significantly less money versus some of these shows that have some sort of expensive Disney channel effect like a lot of Disney shows and then Wheel of Time/LOTR on Amazon too.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.