***** THE ACOLYTE Show Discussion (see note inside) Thread *****

155,881 Views | 1971 Replies | Last: 11 days ago by Cinco Ranch Aggie
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Agreed.

I'm as guilty as anyone at getting frustrating in the moment, but I always try to remain hopeful and reserve total judgement until the end of a season.
agdoc2001
AG
TCTTS said:

Seems the people described in this tweet should love modern Hollywood storytelling then
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
jokershady
AG
TCTTS said:

dont wanna be that guy….but these cards were released by Lucas film after attack of the clones….shows his age as well….

Also….kinda surprised no one is talking about Plato Koon (or however the hell you say it) being in this episode. IIRC he's Filoni's favorite Jedi and they had him on the ship going to get wooki Jedi….or maybe in the briefing room earlier on….cant remember exactly where but I know I saw him
FL_Ag1998
AG
jokershady said:

TCTTS said:

dont wanna be that guy….but these cards were released by Lucas film after attack of the clones….shows his age as well….

Also….kinda surprised no one is talking about Plato Koon (or however the hell you say it) being in this episode. IIRC he's Filoni's favorite Jedi and they had him on the ship going to get wooki Jedi….or maybe in the briefing room earlier on….cant remember exactly where but I know I saw him

Plo koon, and according to this site, its a case of mistaken identity on your part

https://screenrant.com/star-wars-the-acolyte-episode-4-plo-koon-not-kel-dor-jedi/
TCTTS
AG
Fair enough.

For the record, I have no dog in this hunt - I could not care less either way - I just find the incessant, over-the-top *****ing pretty dumb and hilarious. Especially considering...

Milwaukees Best Light
AG
I am not reading this thread so I can avoid spoilers.

Is this show as bad as reported? Bar Stool had a story about it being the worst all time. I am one episode in and thought it was ok. Push on, or pull the eject lever?
FL_Ag1998
AG
Definitely the worst of all time. Those patrons of high art at Deadspin wouldn't exaggerate or lie to you!
Madmarttigan
AG
I wonder if this show would be as brutalized if they just released it all at once. Now we get to fester on all the poorly done things for a week at a time.
Formerly tv1113
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
I should clarify, the blog references the rotten tomatoes rating as being the worst ever. I don't think I read closely enough to catch what the author actually thought about the show.
LPHA
AG
I have enjoyed it but I am very forgiving if a show entertains me. It's far from perfect
redline248
AG
TCTTS said:

Fair enough.

For the record, I have no dog in this hunt - I could not care less either way - I just find the incessant, over-the-top *****ing pretty dumb and hilarious. Especially considering...

In regards to Lucas, that is because in Return of the Jedi Leia remembers her mom and then in Revenge of the Sith Leia's mom dies 5 seconds after she's born, and no baby (not even force sensitive ones) remembers that. What he says is not that significant when it comes to canon. He has never seemed to care that much.

As to this Ki-Adi thing, it's just annoying bc there is no reason to put him in the show when there is a fairly established age for him AND it "potentially" impacts what he says at that Council meeting with Qui-Gon.

The people covering for The Acolyte's choices fall into the "thou dost protest too much" category, imo. At best it's lazy and at worst it's incompetent.
TCTTS
AG
If you found the first episode to be okay, you'll probably find the next three episodes to be more of the same. Not worse, not better. Save for two caveats...

1) Episode three - a flashback episode - is particularly annoying, IMO.

2) While the overall quality across the four episodes averages out to "fine," your patience may start to wear more and more thin, as mine has.

So, yeah, do with that info what you will. It's not a terrible show, but it's not a good one either. So far, it's just kind of bland and we're all basically waiting for something interesting to happen, the big reveal, etc.
Cliff.Booth
Kinda depends on if the final episodes do anything to redeem this mess, maybe they do, I'm guessing not. In that case you'd just get a sudden and frenzied outburst of disappointment and rage.

SW Disney reminds me a lot of Aggie Football in that the only real reason that I continue to get disappointed and pissed off is that the potential is there. We have just about every advantage a program could want, yet seem to always produce forgettable seasons. It's painful as hell to think about how cool SW lore is within the universe Lucas created, and how with the amount of money Disney has to spend, in the right hands and with the right direction and ambition we could have gotten a flat out amazing sequel trilogy and they could be hitting homerun after homerun on these series. Disney's ****ups are very self-inflicted.
TCTTS
AG
redline248 said:

TCTTS said:

Fair enough.

In regards to Lucas, that is because in Return of the Jedi Leia remembers her mom and then in Revenge of the Sith Leia's mom dies 5 seconds after she's born, and no baby (not even force sensitive ones) remembers that. What he says is not that significant when it comes to canon. He has never seemed to care that much.

As to this Ki-Adi thing, it's just annoying bc there is no reason to put him in the show when there is a fairly established age for him AND it "potentially" impacts what he says at that Council meeting with Qui-Gon.

The people covering for The Acolyte's choices fall into the "thou dost protest too much" category, imo. At best it's lazy and at worst it's incompetent.

If it turns out that, say, Ki-Adi is part of some cover-up, to the point where his line in TPM takes on new meaning, I'd actually find that so much more interesting, and not at all lazy or incompetent. This goes back to waiting until the season is over to fully judge what we're watching. It might very well turn out to be lazy and incompetent, but we don't know that yet.
redline248
AG
TCTTS said:

redline248 said:

TCTTS said:

Fair enough.

If it turns out that, say, Ki-Adi is part of some cover-up, to the point where his line in TPM takes on new meaning, I'd actually find that so much more interesting, and not at all lazy or incompetent. This goes back to waiting until the season is over to fully judge what we're watching. It might very well turn out to be lazy and incompetent, but we don't know that yet.
But why change it? You are going to 1) create a situation in which he is hiding the truth in a saga movie, and 2) spend time explaining why he's doing it... with only 4 episodes left? I suppose there is a scenario in which they pull that off, but forgive me if I don't think they have that kind of wherewithal.
TCTTS
AG
Headlund has said she sees the show going multiple seasons. I think she said three-ish. I'd be surprised if it lasts that long, and isn't cancelled after one, but she could at least have a multi-season Ki-Adi arc planned, and is proceeding as if she has more than only another four episodes to execute it.

That said, again, I'm not at all defending the choice. I'm more defending the idea of waiting and seeing. That's all.
redline248
AG
Ok, that is a reasonable thought. Still think it's a stretch, and the simple answer is they added him for fun. I can wait to see
Cliff.Booth
Cliff.Booth
Charlie's disdain for this show is hilarious just because of his wording. Interesting comparison to Fallout.

DrEvazanPhD
Just finished episode 4. And you know what? I absolutely agree with Leslie Headland.

Gayest. Star Wars. Ever.
jokershady
AG
TCTTS said:

If you found the first episode to be okay, you'll probably find the next three episodes to be more of the same. Not worse, not better. Save for two caveats...

1) Episode three - a flashback episode - is particularly annoying, IMO.

2) While the overall quality across the four episodes averages out to "fine," your patience may start to wear more and more thin, as mine has.

So, yeah, do with that info what you will. It's not a terrible show, but it's not a good one either. So far, it's just kind of bland and we're all basically waiting for something interesting to happen, the big reveal, etc.
It hit me today where I got even more annoyed…that after 4 episodes were basically at the length for a normal theatrical movie….and for a sci-fi space adventure film broken we've had 2 fights scenes….and talking……..lots and lots of pointless talking…..
redline248
AG
To be fair, she's not the one that said that.
redline248
AG
Buuuut...

You got to see Sol cut a bug in half.
jokershady
AG
redline248 said:

Buuuut...

He didn't cut the big in half….the bug became self aware of the crap show it was in and committed seppuku via bug zapper stick
Madmarttigan
AG
And they have spent over 80 million on… lots of talking
Formerly tv1113
Mathguy64
AG
redline248 said:

Buuuut...

For all the people losing their minds over a contradictory line by a character who probably haven't said 100 words ever, this scene was the one for me that made no sense.

Giant tree hugging pill bugs that they did nothing with. That whole walking through them was wasted time and film in an episode that already was paced weirdly.

Cliff.Booth
TCTTS
AG
This.

To show/tease a dozen more of them, and then do absolutely nothing with them, is the definition of bad writing. Either have the one, and have it be the sole (Sol?) threat, or deliver on what you're setting up, and have the Jedi be overwhelmed by them. To take it even further... have the Wookiee Jedi then show up and save the day by taking out a ton of them on his own, let's SEE how badass he is, THEN have the big bad appear out of nowhere, and let's SEE him kill the Wookie Jedi, who we just saw wreck shop, yet was taken down by the new big bad. We get that holy **** moment, the rest of the Jedi then ignite their lightsabers once more to take him on, just as they did, and we end on the same note, with the big bad blowing them all away.

How is that not better?

How is that not putting the budget on the screen, instead of endless talking and obfuscating?

How is TexAgs constantly better at this than the creators themselves?
DrEvazanPhD
TCTTS said:

This.

To show/tease a dozen more of them, and then do absolutely nothing with them, is the definition of bad writing. Either have the one, and have it be the sole (Sol?) threat, or deliver on what you're setting up, and have the Jedi be overwhelmed by them. To take it even further... have the Wookiee Jedi then show up and save the day by taking out a ton of them on his own, let's SEE how badass he is, THEN have the big bad appear out of nowhere - let's SEE him kill the Wookie Jedi, who we just saw wreck shop, yet was taken down by the new big bad. We get that holy **** moment, the rest of the Jedi then ignite their lightsabers once more to take him on, just as they did, and we end on the same note, with the big bad blowing them all away.

How is that not better?

How is that not putting the budget on the screen, instead of endless talking and obfuscating?

How is TexAgs constantly better at this than the creators themselves?

Because Luca's film doesn't consider "talent" or "ability" as a requirement to run a show?
Cliff.Booth
TC's series wouldn't have been quite as gay, but I guarantee you it would be sitting over 80% audience score. And he'd have done it for treefiddy.
TCTTS
AG
I would argue that Headlund is talented, as Russian Doll proves that. Rather, I think a big part of the problem is more the suffocating Lucasfilm development process. I get the impression that Kennedy and co are a lot like the Jedi depicted in this series and in the prequels... arrogant and stubborn to a fault, not allowing the franchise to take chances and truly evolve in the ways it needs to. Certain talent, like Tony Gilroy, is savvy and strong-willed enough to navigate it and push back, but some of the other creatives aren't, or get just as caught up in the bull***** In other words, I think the Lucasfilm machine is often too distracted, and grinds too many of them down in the process.
Cliff.Booth
No one in any other industry could, with all of the funding and resources one could ask for, fail this spectacularly and not fall on their sword and go away. This is what hiring for optics and whatever else was going on gets you.
FL_Ag1998
AG
Cliff.Booth said:

No one in any other industry could, with all of the funding and resources one could ask for, fail this spectacularly and not fall on their sword and go away. This is what hiring for optics and whatever else was going on gets you.

But I believe that's contradictory to TCTTS' point. What he was saying is that it wasn't Disney's hire that failed (if you want to claim this show is a fail). Rather it's Disney's monolithic corporate way of filmmaking that failed and ruined what a talented filmmaker could have made.

They may have hired in part for optics (a gay female filmmaker) but the hire was fine. Its Disney's continued corporate involvement after the hire that's the problem.
redline248
AG
I think the track record since 2012 is not good for Disney in that regard. So many issues with production and writers and directors...
Cliff.Booth
That's a convenient way to let someone off the hook. This is a sloppy, cheap looking mess. If you don't have the seriousness and gravitas to stand up to the powers that be to make a quality product, then walk away. Directors walk away from projects when they feel they're not being allowed to make what they want to make. I'm guessing she was given a lot of latitude and this is what she came up with.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.