***** THE ACOLYTE Show Discussion (see note inside) Thread *****

155,759 Views | 1971 Replies | Last: 11 days ago by Cinco Ranch Aggie
SpreadsheetAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Not sure why all the complaints about Acolyte; just finished ep. 5... it's decent.

1-2 were okay
3 was slow but gave backstory
4 picked up
5 was honestly pretty baller ; a trail of Jedi bodies and a baddy with a venom mask and armor that disables lightsabers temporarily ... pretty cool.

The twin angle doesn't do it for me. Mae doesn't seem to have any real motive, but I suspect Sol is about to reveal some naughty background on his part that, from a certain point of view has been spun and hidden from Osha.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
justnobody79 said:

Redstone said:

Power of One was my favorite moment from the show, but now I'm really digging this move

so she cut her hair to fool Sol, fine. but how is Qimir not fooled when he heals Osha with the short hair? unless he knows it is Osha and has other intentions

Definitely the latter
TCTTS
AG
The Porkchop Express
AG
I was randomly thinking today - what if Sol brainwashed Osha but at least one witch survived and she brainwashed Mae? And the real story is that the Jedi screwed everything up and Osha grows to hate them, but the Witches went violent or something worse, like trying to kill Osha so she wouldn't become a Jedi, and then brainwashed Mae to think the Jedi were her enemies?

I still think Osha is going to kill Sol when this is all said and done so she becomes the Acolyte, but it would be interesting if they were both lied to.
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Along these lines: Mae goes with Sol and has her eyes opened; starts training as a Jedi. Osha is forced to go with Qimir and he opens her eyes to what really happened and turns her against the Jedi...
Ag87H2O
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

Along these lines: Mae goes with Sol and has her eyes opened; starts training as a Jedi. Osha is forced to go with Qimir and he opens her eyes to what really happened and turns her against the Jedi...
The Porkchop Express
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

Right, the only fly in the ointment is that I think Osha is going to fall to the dark side by killing Sol in the last episode, and it would also mean both Mae and Sol somehow don't tell the Jedi about Quimir saying he's Sith
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Did he say it in front of them or only Sol?
redline248
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

Did he say it in front of them or only Sol?
He was holding Mae at the end of his lightsaber threatening to kill her when he said "Jedi like you would call me sith"
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
That's all? The whip purple lightsaber and putting on a helmet
Ag Since 83
AG
Ugh these episodes are so short.

I am intrigued with Darth Bortles and Osha. I feel like the show would have been much better off without wasting half the season on the mystery of who Bortles was.

Good to know Sol isn't stupid enough to fall for Mae's deception.

And that lightsaber. Seems like the kind of thing the internet will go nuts with and think it's awesome and I'm just like "meh, whatever." I bet SWT hates it though. (And it definitely caused a certain scar, right?)
The Porkchop Express
AG
Atreides Ornithopter said:

Most detailed description of the sith process ever?
First use of some sexuality in the sith seduction process?
Incredible jedi emotional breakdown?
Madmarttigan
AG
I enjoyed the interactions but we have now had 5 episodes hinting at some great injustice that happened and it's getting old at this point. They just need to reveal what happened. All of the vagueness about who he is and what happened in the past gets tiring when episodes are so short.

I think I would love to see more interactions between Qimir and Osha but they've wasted so much time getting up to this point that it's probably going to feel very rushed.
Formerly tv1113
RebAg13
AG
My man is seducing her to the dark side with everything he's got.
Dekker_Lentz
AG
I think my biggest frustration with this show is that there is a great show/story here, but the pacing/development/actual execution is really muddling it.

Qimir and Osha were great and honestly this whole episode should have focused just on them. I really like that Qimir is a Sith who isn't just evil but someone who believe that they are right and that using the full power of the force is justified. It is nice to have a complicated villain and not just a dark side user that throws tantrums all the time.

I am with the posters above, quit hinting at what happened and just show us already.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

Most detailed description of the sith process ever?
First use of some sexuality in the sith seduction process?
Incredible jedi emotional breakdown?

Anakin broke down when his mommy died and he got some sand on him.

Anakin was seduced by Padame to the the dark side. She just didn't mean to.

I would have wanted more Sith description in an Old Republic show.

I agree it is just frustratingly slow getting somewhere but shows do that now.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Sol acted the hell outta that breakdown and kudos to whoever the director was for lingering on him and letting him act

Not a great episode though. Director didn't get the note that you don't overuse adorable teddy bear character and you don't try to shove humor into really tense scene. Still manny jacinto has taken over the show and is phenomenal
Quad Dog
AG
Mae also effectively killed a droid too.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
So are we to surmise that Qimir and Vernestra know each other and she gave him that scar with the whip?
The Porkchop Express
AG
I definitely didn't figure that out. Kudos to you
I feel dumb now.
Madmarttigan
AG
That's dark, didn't think about it that way either but totally right.
Formerly tv1113
RebAg13
AG
Wow I didn't put that together either.
Dekker_Lentz
AG

So are we to surmise that Qimir and Vernestra know each other and she gave him that scar with the whip?

That is what I got. I am assuming he started his turn as her student and she thought she killed him with her lightsaber whip.

That would then parallel Mae's story and explain his line to Osha about how he thought Mae and him wanted the same thing.
Dekker_Lentz
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

Sol acted the hell outta that breakdown and kudos to whoever the director was for lingering on him and letting him act

Not a great episode though. Director didn't get the note that you don't overuse adorable teddy bear character and you don't try to shove humor into really tense scene. Still manny jacinto has taken over the show and is phenomenal

The beaver and the weird cute aliens were too much. This had the story capability of being an A+ but the way it's presented makes it a C+/B- episode.
redline248
AG
1st a thought about Qimir's scar. When they focused on the curved nature of it I immediately thought it looked like the kind of scars you get from a whip. However, I don't know if I buy that he was a Jedi, once. I doubt he ever had that kind of conversation with Mae, and likely went at her from a pure hate/revenge angle. He's doing to Osha what Palps did to Anakin. Playing to her softer emotions.

When he said he got it from someone that threw him away, Osha assumes it's a Jedi master. It could very well have been a Sith master. There could be any number of reasons a Sith master would get rid of an apprentice. Maybe Qimir tried to overthrow him and got his ass beat in a fight. Maybe the master used torture/punishment on him to drive home the point of hate in the dark side.

I'm probably wrong, and he's telling the truth, but we'll have to wait and see. If he's just a former Jedi using the dark side and wielding a red saber...where did he learn it, if not from a Sith? He hasn't actually committed to being Sith. He is intentionally vague in all he says.
redline248
AG
Now for the rest of the episode. Why doesn't Bazil go straight to Sol when he's alone? I do not understand the point of that character, right now.

Mae, I'm gonna tell you everything.

Just not this week. Ugh get on with it

edit: I agree with others that this episode at least showed that there is some good story here, but they aren't executing it very well. So much running out the clock
jokershady
AG
So there's two episodes left and we still don't know what happened and it's really getting harder to care now…..

Sol really needs to take a sith or get off the pot with this backstory stuff….
TCTTS
AG
This isn't the worst Disney+ Star Wars series, not by a long shot, but IMO it's easily the most boring and the most stilted, which somehow almost makes me dislike it more than all the others. It's just so aggressively forgettable and drawn out, that in tandem with Ahsoka, which shared similar traits, I'm in desperate need of the next Star Wars entry to really stand out and pick up the pace. Because damn, this is some mind-numbing storytelling.

That, and I usually don't care if a director casts a family member, but the green Jedi master is played by Leslye Headlund's real life wife, and even though she's an actor I recognize (meaning she at least has a legit career), every scene with her and whoever's acting opposite her feels like a terrible Star Wars fan film. Whatever the opposite of rizz is, she and damn near the entire Jedi cast has it.

I still have high hopes for Star Wars as a franchise, and with what's coming down the pike I genuinely believe better days are ahead, but man this **** is so depressingly dull right now.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Sol and Qimir are definitely carrying this show.

Agree that Vernestra actress is not playing the role of a wise Jedi, but more like ... Nebula from GotG or like an in-over-her-head desperate housewife... her mannerisms, reactions, and decision making are misaligned with a Jedi Master...
Flashdiaz
AG
With what looks like Sol finally getting the story out and Osha putting on the sensory deprivation helmet, I guess next week will finally be the flashback episode.
TCTTS
AG
This is the main problem. EVERYTHING is about the past, thus it never feels like it's moving forward, which only adds to its dull, stagnate vibe. Personally, at this point, I could not care less about the truth, re: the tragic origin story that has somehow still yet to be fully revealed, nor could I handle yet another flashback episode about it. Even Qimir is doing nothing but dwelling on past trauma, and all I want to do is yell to him, every other character, and the filmmakers, "Move forward!" For the love of god, in the words of Kylo Ren…

SpreadsheetAg
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

Still viable after this episode, right?
Cliff.Booth
So far a lot of Disney SW stuff has been bad, but not in a funny way. At least Acolyte is hilarious. We've got lesbian space witches, we've got a crackling campfire on a spaceship, we've got the pronoun beaver, we've got a space groomer, we've got a green lady with a whip who can't act. This is $180 million bad fanfic but I'm enjoying it and it's led to so many great memes and reaction videos.
The Porkchop Express
AG
If Mae believes the jedi brain washes osha, how could sol possibly think she'll believe whatever he is going to say?
FL_Ag1998
AG
Nothing new to add, just echoing above thoughts.

Its frustrating because there's actually a really interesting story here its just being told by people who don't know how to tell stories in an engaging way. We all know a person in our lives who can make even the most boring story funny and exciting.....this is the exact opposite.

All six episodes so far should have been told in 3 episodes and then like TC said start progressing the storyline!

I agree with TC and I said it before and will likely say it again....the actress playing Vernestra is horrible and needs to find another profession she can use to leech off of her girlfriend. Craft services maybe?

Manny Jacinto is making this show worthwhile. I loved his character Jason in The Good Place, now I like Manny Jacinto as an actor.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.