***** THE ACOLYTE Show Discussion (see note inside) Thread *****

155,900 Views | 1971 Replies | Last: 11 days ago by Cinco Ranch Aggie
DrEvazanPhD
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The Porkchop Express said:

DrEvazanPhD said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Oh, and it still makes zero sense how that fire spread so quickly and killed like half the coven.
Your house has clearly never burned down. Once it gets going, it goes quick

Was the house in question made out stone in an old mine?
Do you really need an explanation of why things In a mine might explode when exposed to fire?
No... what i really need an explanation on is the whole "this planet was listed as dead due to a hyperspace accident. But look at all the life now."

Except that on top of a giant ****ing mountain was a massive mining facility with power and lights that somehow the jedi missed.

Whoopsie.
MASAXET
AG
I like this show a lot more than most here, but I agree with the criticisms on the split episode look back storytelling. This show seemed to want the focus on the mystery in the past but it's just not that compelling the way it unfolded. I expected a lot more when we saw the other side of the story but it basically played out how it was expected. The only real surprises were Sol killing the coven leader and intentionally dropping Mae.

Having said that, I am intrigued by the present day mystery re: Qimir. I think that's legitimately interesting, not least of which because I think Mendoza is actually doing a pretty good job playing that role. If that was the focus of the story, I think this would be much better - perhaps the chronological story order like TCTTS said would have made this more compelling. And with that in mind, maybe a second season could actually be worthwhile.
The Porkchop Express
AG
DrEvazanPhD said:

DrEvazanPhD said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Oh, and it still makes zero sense how that fire spread so quickly and killed like half the coven.

Do you really need an explanation of why things In a mine might explode when exposed to fire?
No... what i really need an explanation on is the whole "this planet was listed as dead due to a hyperspace accident. But look at all the life now."

Except that on top of a giant ****ing mountain was a massive mining facility with power and lights that somehow the jedi missed.

Whoopsie.

Not on top of the mountain. No lights / power visible.
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
DrEvazanPhD

DrEvazanPhD said:

DrEvazanPhD said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Whoopsie.

lol. Ok buddy!
FL_Ag1998
AG
DrEvazanPhD said:

DrEvazanPhD said:

DrEvazanPhD said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Whoopsie.

lol. Ok buddy!

What I really need is an explanation on why you continue to spend your time watching and posting about a show that you clearly despise.
DrEvazanPhD
FL_Ag1998 said:

DrEvazanPhD said:

DrEvazanPhD said:

DrEvazanPhD said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Whoopsie.

lol. Ok buddy!

What I really need is an explanation on why you continue to spend your time watching and posting about a show that you clearly despise.

Ah, but that is where you are wrong, my friend. I am throughly enjoying this show. It is incredibly poorly written, the money being spent must be on catering as opposed to sets, and plays out like 3rd grade fan fiction. It's fun to see what gigantic plot holes appear week after week, and is almost a master class on how not to put a show together!
91_Aggie
AG
Is Disney just trying to re-create the bad acting from the original Star Wars and the prequels? That was blamed on actually hiring bad actors (well at least Mark Hamill), script by George Lucas and bad direction.

But Carrie Ann Moss and Sol are just doing a terrible acting job in this.

That's a somewhat minor complaint compared to the bad plot, bad writing, bad sets, dumb ideas, plot holes, etc. Seriously.. Jedi's metal detecting and doing botany work?!?!
i is smart
AG
It has been occasionally entertaining, but IMHO there's no justification for a Season 2 or for Lesyle Headland to be involved in future Star Wars projects.
Cliff.Booth
i is smart said:

IMHO there's no justification for a Season 2 or for Lesyle Headland to be involved in future projects.

Fixed it for you.
JMR
S
Thank for sharing this!! Coffee out the nose laughing
redline248
AG
I finally watched. So many bad decisions by everyone. Mother Anisya is still the big villain for much of what happened on Brendok, but Sol is a moron. I'm sure someone involved will say he's just like Qui-Gon with Anakin, but that would only be true if Qui-Gon forced Watto to give him the the insta dead slave control switch and then killed him, and let Shmi fall in a water evaporator and die.

Torbin was, in fact, the worst Jedi I've ever seen. He wasn't ashamed of what they did at the coven, he was ashamed of being a giant homesick p-ssy.

Thunderstruck xx
The wookie lightsaber fight was so cool! A little poorly thought out and executed, but cool.

Unfortunately that alone is not enough to make up for all the other shortcomings of this show. Man it is one of the worst show's I've ever seen, star wars or not. At this point it is so bad that it is entertaining to see how much worse it could possibly get.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
I am just now watching it ; the writing is bad ... bad bad bad. Again, there is a decent story here but the execution, interactions, and the Star Wars buzzwords are ... special: dyad, vergence, symbionts...

Qui-Gon Reacts this week is probably fantastic
The Porkchop Express
AG

What do you mean I should "just drop her?"
Sea Speed
AG
It's not often you see a photo of Jay without Silent Bob.
The Porkchop Express
AG
The courage of the anonymous poster to call out someone else's looks = maximum TexAgs
Cliff.Booth

"Look, Mr. Jung-Jae, it's one thing to scrutinize some of what I put into the show but it's hurtful to overhear you say, and I quote, 'someone send this ***** to a writer's workshop'."
Cliff.Booth

"Look, I don't know, Mr. Jung-Jae, it just burns down. I know it's a mostly stone structure. I would appreciate it if you'd focus more on your part and stop questioning everything I do."
DrEvazanPhD

The courage of the anonymous poster to call out someone else's looks = maximum TexAgs

Lighten up, Francis
The Porkchop Express
AG
DrEvazanPhD said:

Lighten up, Francis
The guy who watches a show that he hates so he can mock it online telling me to lighten up.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Ok, TC.
My best friends house burned down in 5th grade. Destroyed everything they owned. You don't forget **** like that.

What a weird thing to bring up in an attempt to defend this show.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Too lazy to edit it for this thread, but same energy for TPE here.

The Porkchop Express
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Too lazy to edit it for this thread, but same energy for TPE here.

Now do yours for the pile of **** that is Avatar.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Avatar is a masterpiece compared to this show.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Participating in this thread.

DrEvazanPhD

DrEvazanPhD said:

Lighten up, Francis
The guy who watches a show that he hates so he can mock it online telling me to lighten up.

As I have said before, I don't hate the show. I'm thoroughly enjoying watching it in all of its badness.
C@LAg
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Avatar is a masterpiece compared to this show.
yeah.

a masterpieceofsh**.

Madmarttigan
AG
TPE has been critiquing this pretty decently especially with the latest episode.

BES weirdly gets an erection every time Avatar makes a million dollars at the box office.
Formerly tv1113
concac
AG
Who was it that hyped up Leslye Headland because she was a massive Star Wars fan girl? Guess knowing everything and anything about Star Wars doesn't translate into being able to create something that is enjoyable to watch.

Hope this is the last time she has anything to do with the Star Wars franchise.
C@LAg
concac said:

Who was it that hyped up Leslye Headland because she was a massive Star Wars fan girl?

no renewal yet, eith one episode to go. although not uncommon, it definitely means they are considering just walking away from it. one and done.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Madmarttigan said:

TPE has been critiquing this pretty decently especially with the latest episode.

BES weirdly gets an erection every time Avatar makes a million dollars at the box office.

That would be a lot of erections.
TCTTS
AG
concac said:

Who was it that hyped up Leslye Headland because she was a massive Star Wars fan girl? Guess knowing everything and anything about Star Wars doesn't translate into being able to create something that is enjoyable to watch.

That would be me.

And I'd do it again, because ON PAPER she had everything going for her. She had just come off a massive hit show, one that damn near everyone loved, while again and again has shown an incredibly deep knowledge of the franchise. She checked every box, save for having done something of this scale before, and like I've said multiple times now, sometimes that works out, other times it doesn't. Regardless, it's not an uncommon practice at all.

It turns out, she simply doesn't have what it takes - or - as I've also speculated, Lucasfilm noted the hell out this thing/drained it of anything special. My guess is a combination of both.
fig96
AG
Rian Johnson followed up Looper and several eps of Breaking Bad with TLJ (which I think was a bit of a mess for many reasons but still had some interesting ideas) then made Knives Out.
Cliff.Booth
TCTTS said:

concac said:

That would be me.

And I'd do it again, because ON PAPER she had everything going for her. She had just come off a massive hit show, one that damn near everyone loved, while again and again has shown an incredibly deep knowledge of the franchise. She checked every box, save for having done something of this scale before, and like I've said multiple times now, sometimes that works out, other times it doesn't. Regardless, it's not an uncommon practice at all.

It turns out, she simply doesn't have what it takes - or - as I've also speculated, Lucasfilm noted the hell out this thing/drained it of anything special. My guess is a combination of both.

She hadn't done anything to prove she should have anything to do with a big budget SW production. And having rubbed elbows with Harvey also probably shouldn't have been a plus on her thin resume. If Disney LF is ever to learn any expensive lessons from their very spotty record, I'd hope the Acolyte is proof of what happens when you go for an optics hire rather than just getting someone who knows what the **** they're doing.
fig96
AG
Cliff.Booth said:

TCTTS said:

concac said:

That would be me.

She hadn't done anything to prove she should have anything to do with a big budget SW production. And having rubbed elbows with Harvey also probably shouldn't have been a plus on her thin resume. If Disney LF is ever to learn any expensive lessons from their very spotty record, I'd hope the Acolyte is proof of what happens when you go for an optics hire rather than just getting someone who knows what the **** they're doing.
The Russo Bros definitely shouldn't have been given the keys to the biggest film in the MCU.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.