***********2024-2025 San Antonio Spurs Thread********************

30,277 Views | 449 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by West Texan
TheNotoriousP.I.P.
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Well that sucks, he must just enjoy LA because I'd wager the Spurs are more likely to win a title over those two years than the Clippers are at this point. Hopefully we can get a Kyle Anderson/Caleb Martin type, but what I also wouldn't mind is if we shipped out Zach and Branham for someone who fits that mold. Maybe attach a fistful of seconds to those two guys and snap Bojan/DFS/Cam Johnson out of Brooklyn.
Guitarsoup
AG
TheNotoriousP.I.P. said:

Well that sucks, he must just enjoy LA because I'd wager the Spurs are more likely to win a title over those two years than the Clippers are at this point. Hopefully we can get a Kyle Anderson/Caleb Martin type, but what I also wouldn't mind is if we shipped out Zach and Branham for someone who fits that mold. Maybe attach a fistful of seconds to those two guys and snap Bojan/DFS/Cam Johnson out of Brooklyn.

Spurs probably only wanted to give him a 1y deal
TheNotoriousP.I.P.
AG
Yeah but we coulda given him a one year deal that paid him just about as much as the Clips are paying over 2 years
Enzo The Baker
AG

Warriors appear to be giving all they can to Steph.

I would love Lauri but not worth the price that would likely come out of a bidding war.
Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

I would love Lauri but not worth the price that would likely come out of a bidding war.

I think GSW only has the 2025 Knicks first rounder that is tradable. No other draft assets.

And even if they get him for Podz, they can't sign him to an extension
superunknown
AG
West Texan said:

Enzo The Baker said:

West Texan said:

West Texan said:

Wow. That sucks. Would have been a nice pick up. If it's true that we were interested, I don't understand how he would choose that dumpster fire over us.

Maybe he enjoys having the title of "best Frenchman on his team"?

You got a hearty "hon hon hon" from me on this. Merci.
FTAG 2000
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Enzo The Baker said:

I think GSW only has the 2025 Knicks first rounder that is tradable. No other draft assets.

Kings and TWolves supposedly in as well.

We should be able to beat GSW offer easily. I don't think either of those squads have much to offer for trade either.
Guitarsoup
AG
FTAG 2000 said:

Guitarsoup said:

Enzo The Baker said:

Kings and TWolves supposedly in as well.

We should be able to beat GSW offer easily. I don't think either of those squads have much to offer for trade either.

Kings just want to trade Barnes and Heurter.

Minnesota can't trade any picks. Bet they would love to dump towns for Lauri
West Texan
AG
Unless we somehow get a guarantee from Lauri that he'll resign with us next offseason, I think I'd rather just wait for him to hit free agency and sign him outright.
Enzo The Baker
AG
West Texan said:

Unless we somehow get a guarantee from Lauri that he'll resign with us next offseason, I think I'd rather just wait for him to hit free agency and sign him outright.

Absolutely ideal. But he might not 'hit' free agency if he gets traded. If a trade happens it's going to come with an unofficial promise. If he plays the rest of the season in Utah, we are in great shape to go after him next summer. I don't see Ainge letting him go for nothing though.
West Texan
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

West Texan said:

Absolutely ideal. But he might not 'hit' free agency if he gets traded. If a trade happens it's going to come with an unofficial promise. If he plays the rest of the season in Utah, we are in great shape to go after him next summer. I don't see Ainge letting him go for nothing though.

Obviously some team could come out of no where and make a deal for Lauri. But so far the other teams we've heard linked to making a trade for him don't have a ton of assets to offer. Danny Ainge has a reputation for getting the better deal on trades, and like you said he's not gonna give him away for free. I think he plays this season in Utah and then hits the market next year.
Guitarsoup
AG

Lost my guy
West Texan
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Lost my guy

I thought that New York might make an offer at Goga since they just lost Hartenstein.
Ag Natural
AG
West Texan said:

Enzo The Baker said:

West Texan said:

Obviously some team could come out of no where and make a deal for Lauri. But so far the other teams we've heard linked to making a trade for him don't have a ton of assets to offer. Danny Ainge has a reputation for getting the better deal on trades, and like you said he's not gonna give him away for free. I think he plays this season in Utah and then hits the market next year.

This is pretty similar to the situation we were in with Murray. Whether or not he gets traded probably depends on how confident Ainge is that he'll be able resign him. If there even a 50/50 chance he leaves then don't you have to go get something for him now?
Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

West Texan said:

Pop just hired his buddy and countryman in Petteri Koponen, you don't think we've let Lauri know he's got a Max deal coming?

What teams can pay Ainge and still have an ideal situation for Lauri going forward? Something better than Wemby, Devin, Castle, Sochan, Tre, Pop.
West Texan
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Enzo The Baker said:

West Texan said:

Pop just hired his buddy and countryman in Petteri Koponen, you don't think we've let Lauri know he's got a Max deal coming?

What teams can pay Ainge and still have an ideal situation for Lauri going forward? Something better than Wemby, Devin, Castle, Sochan, Tre, Pop.

They can have Branham, Wesley, and our 40 second round picks.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Enzo The Baker said:

West Texan said:

I agree. It's the perfect situation for him. I'm just saying, that Ainge isn't going to let him walk. And what that other team/scenario might look like, I have no clue.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Four Seasons Landscaping
He plays high school ball for Bowen now, right?
Enzo The Baker
AG
Four Seasons Landscaping said:

He plays high school ball for Bowen now, right?

That's what it looks like. If he's 2026 HS that means he'd be 2028 draft if he makes it that far.
Cappo
AG

superunknown
AG
Gotta admit i forget this former Spur is still in the league.

Sher Thing
AG
Wow. Good for him.
West Texan
AG
Another possible road block for making a trade for Markannen is that the rumor is that the Jazz would want Vassel in the deal. We've heard for a while that the Spurs consider Vassel untouchable. The Jazz are another team that already has a ton of draft picks they've accumulated, so at some point they need to get some players that will help them build.
superunknown
AG
I forget which dude on NBA Twitter said this. But they mentioned something about the newly created trade exception from the Klay deal. I used to know this but I'm wondering if that's something the Warriors could use to angle something together for Lauri.
Enzo The Baker
AG
West Texan said:

Another possible road block for making a trade for Markannen is that the rumor is that the Jazz would want Vassel in the deal. We've heard for a while that the Spurs consider Vassel untouchable. The Jazz are another team that already has a ton of draft picks they've accumulated, so at some point they need to get some players that will help them build.

This is something I've only heard from Lowe and it seems a little bit like supposition. I think there is no way we include Vassell in any deal unless it's for an all nba player. Like I mentioned earlier, I'd be open to Sochan and some picks. Jeremy would be a good piece for them. Then they can find their stars in the upcoming drafts.
Guitarsoup
AG
My big thing with Lauri is... I don't think he is a max player. He's acceptable, but not great defensively. Is it going to look like Michael Porter's max contract?

He's an ideal 2nd banana for Wemby for size, position, ability.

55 or fewer games in 4 of 7 seasons and never reached 70 games. One All-Star game. Career high 2.0 assists.

Can't overpay. Certainly can't give a bunch of juicy picks and then give him the max.
West Texan
AG
Someone will throw a max contract at Lauri. Guys that big, versatile, and efficient aren't very common.
Guitarsoup
AG
I would bet the Lakers are trying to do a S&T for DeRozan now.
West Texan
AG
Guitarsoup
AG
West Texan said:

Someone will throw a max contract at Lauri. Guys that big, versatile, and efficient aren't very common.
Yeah, I think you are right. But will he be good enough.

Remember, Lauri can get a 30% max because he is 7-9 years. I like him more at 22-25%.

But also might just be the CODB.
LawHall88
AG
I have no idea what this is.
[url] [/url]
Guitarsoup
AG

Wondering if it tacks on a 2+1 to this season. Then he can opt out after 3 years, which would make him a 10 year veteran, qualified for a 35% contract.
Guitarsoup
AG

If Utah wants players, we aren't going to beat it. They have tons of picks already.

And I'm fine with not winning the Lauri sweepstakes
West Texan
AG
Guitarsoup said:

If Utah wants players, we aren't going to beat it. They have tons of picks already.

And I'm fine with not winning the Lauri sweepstakes

I know the Kings want to be good and make the playoffs, but that lineup just screams first round exit. Really good offense that will score a lot of points, not enough defense to really make a run.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.