***********2024-2025 San Antonio Spurs Thread********************

30,268 Views | 449 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by West Texan
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
West Texan said:

HummingbirdSaltalamacchia said:

TheNotoriousP.I.P. said:

I wonder what we are looking to send out in this Demar three teamer then
25 second rounders or a heavily protected 1st in 2045. Probably Take back Huerter

I think I'd prefer Barnes, but I've always like Huerter.

Would definitely take Barnes. I just like Huerter bc of his age. But if they can get back a 1st as well, that's a home run move
superunknown
AG
I'm glad Matthew Tynan mentioned this...

All this extra stuff (all the 2nd rounders etc, roster slots 10-15 for the most part) are just assets to sweeten deals. A lot of my friends who are spurs fans really get attached to guys but man, if you really want to win, it's about having stuff in your portfolio that's portable. Even we had a washed Pau Gasol I'm trying to tell people "its a salary slot with Gasol's name on it."

So thank you to Spurs legend Devonte Graham, not only for what he did against Denver in a "we thought it would be meaningless" game, but for being a pretty decent sized salary slot we could sling elsewhere.
West Texan
AG

West Texan said:

TheNotoriousP.I.P. said:

I wonder what we are looking to send out in this Demar three teamer then
25 second rounders or a heavily protected 1st in 2045. Probably Take back Huerter

I think I'd prefer Barnes, but I've always like Huerter.

Would definitely take Barnes. I just like Huerter bc of his age. But if they can get back a 1st as well, that's a home run move

I don't think either one is here long term, so IMO the age doesn't really matter.
West Texan
AG

Continuing to keep an eye on the hornets.
Guitarsoup
AG
I like Barnes as a fit more, but both have salary next year.

I would rather do something like this:

DD to Kings
Barnes or Heurter to Bulls
Lonzo Ball and picks to Spurs

Bulls save money, Lonzo is a UFA next year, and maybe he can play as many minutes as Graham if he has a miraculous recovery
Ag Natural
AG
Huerter was terrible last season.
West Texan
AG
Guitarsoup said:

DD to Kings

Bulls save money, Lonzo is a UFA next year, and maybe he can play as many minutes as Graham if he has a miraculous recovery

I doubt Chicago wants to take on any additional salary, but I'd be down for that.
Guitarsoup
AG
West Texan said:

Guitarsoup said:

DD to Kings

I doubt Chicago wants to take on any additional salary, but I'd be down for that.

Lonzo is $4MM more than Barnes and $6MM more than Heurter, but Barnes and Heurter are actually basketball players. So Chicago saves money
LawHall88
AG
LawHall88
AG
There is speculation on the interwebs that the Spurs want the protection lifted from the Bulls 2025 pick as part of the deal, but I can't believe the Bulls would go for that.
Guitarsoup
AG
LawHall88 said:

There is speculation on the interwebs that the Spurs want the protection lifted from the Bulls 2025 pick as part of the deal, but I can't believe the Bulls would go for that.

This is the way to go. Get that top ten down to top 3 or better.

That's why taking Ball off their hands makes sense
Guitarsoup
AG
Guitarsoup
AG

Enzo The Baker
AG
LawHall88
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Hope I'm wrong, but Nunez strikes me as a guy who may be a star in Europe whose game doesn't translate well to the NBA.
Guitarsoup
AG
LawHall88 said:

Enzo The Baker said:

Hope I'm wrong, but Nunez strikes me as a guy who may be a star in Europe whose game doesn't translate well to the NBA.

Not sure he is going to be athletic enough. But worth the shot.
flashplayer
AG
They're trying all the Manu juju on him to see of they can catch lightning in a bottle again. Manu was ~ 22 when drafted after Duncan's 2nd year, came over 3 years later after playing for Bologna.

This guy is 20 and got drafted on the heels of Vic's rookie season. That's called being ahead of schedule.

Give him 2-3 years of weights, conditioning, speed/agility work, and shooting refinement and then let's see what he's got.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Castle looks so at ease with the basketball. Really making good decisions. Rarely forces it. Has made some outstanding passes today.

West Texan
AG
Really ugly first half for the summer Spurs. No one can score… but Castle has done some really nice things so far. Navigates and creates space in the pick and roll very well. I'm impressed by his vision and passing instincts when he gets in the paint. He's delivered some really nice skip passes and threaded the needle on a couple passes inside as well. His shooting hasn't been great, but the entire team can't make anything. He did hit a catch and shoot 3 from the top of the key that looked smooth. Defensively he's been really active. This sequence from the first quarter was a lot of fun to watch.
West Texan
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Castle looks so at ease with the basketball. Really making good decisions. Rarely forces it. Has made some outstanding passes today.

I've been impressed with the tempo that he plays with. He doesn't get sped up and is very in control when he has the ball.
FTAG 2000
AG
Castle looks great. Everyone else looks like dog poop.

Why is this front office stuck in mud? Can't we draft some guys who can shoot please? It is kind of important.

They're obsessed with the Kawhi body type. Athletes are a dime a dozen at the pros. Need guys who can score or are gym rats and willing to work on their shot, though I'm not sure we have anyone near Chip's level on our staff to help guys with that.
Guitarsoup
AG

This is bull****
West Texan
AG
Guitarsoup said:

This is bull****

HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
Guitarsoup said:

This is bull****

Spurs also get a 2032 pick swap from the kings. Unprotected
FTAG 2000
AG
Can't have enough unprotected picks for when Wemby is pushing 30.

Coach tenure and wright gonna run Wemby out of town and the Spurs to Vegas at this rate.
flashplayer
AG
The odds are really good that Sacramento will suck in 8 years and that the Spurs wont.
LawHall88
AG
FTAG 2000 said:

Coach tenure and wright gonna run Wemby out of town and the Spurs to Vegas at this rate.

Thought we'd get more, but again this is just another asset to package when the right deal comes along.
Ag Natural
AG
FTAG 2000 said:

You do realize that Barnes is a pretty significant upgrade if the goal is to win now. Add in the future pick swap and this trade helps the near and long term.
FTAG 2000
AG
flashplayer said:

The odds are really good that Sacramento will suck in 8 years and that the Spurs wont.

I don't disagree with you. But we have a a transcendent player who isn't going to wait around forever to compete.
Ag Natural
AG
FTAG 2000 said:

flashplayer said:

I don't disagree with you. But we have a a transcendent player who isn't going to wait around forever to compete.

You don't think Barnes helps this team?
flashplayer
AG
You guys will complain about anything. He only has 2 years on his contract and shoots almost 40% from 3. They need more shooters. They need guys with tradable contracts. Check. Check.

At the trade deadline this year and next summer his expiring deal will be an asset.
West Texan
AG
Ag Natural said:

FTAG 2000 said:

flashplayer said:

He's not worth it. He wants to ***** about every single move.
FTAG 2000
AG
Ag Natural said:

FTAG 2000 said:

flashplayer said:

I think he'll be good for the locker room and teaching the young guys how to be a pro.

He will be hit or miss on the court though. I was in Cali a lot for work last year, especially Bay Area, and watched a lot of Kings ball. He'll look serviceable some nights, unplayable others.
West Texan
AG
West Texan said:

Guitarsoup said:

This is bull****

Ag Natural
AG
FTAG 2000 said:

Ag Natural said:

FTAG 2000 said:

flashplayer said:

I think he'll be good for the locker room and teaching the young guys how to be a pro.

He will be hit or miss on the court though. I was in Cali a lot for work last year, especially Bay Area, and watched a lot of Kings ball. He'll look serviceable some nights, unplayable others.

He's a pretty significant upgrade over Champagnie at the 3. And it cost us basically nothing.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.