***** THE ACOLYTE Show Discussion (see note inside) Thread *****

155,920 Views | 1971 Replies | Last: 11 days ago by Cinco Ranch Aggie
Logos Stick
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It's got a whopping 45% on RT. I'll probably skip this one despite the accolades in this thread.
LB12Diamond
AG
They should have just released episode 1. Nice cliff hanger making you wonder if it's twins or split personality. Better if there's a week to debate instead of finding out right away in episode two.

I don't know all the Jedi rules but why was that first padawan not still with her master in episode two.
The Porkchop Express
AG
LB12Diamond said:

They should have just released episode 1. Nice cliff hanger making you wonder if it's twins or split personality. Better if there's a week to debate instead of finding out right away in episode two.

I don't know all the Jedi rules but why was that first padawan not still with her master in episode two.
Vernestra told Sol to take a small team on his mission. He only wanted Yord, not the apprentice.
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
redline248
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

LB12Diamond said:

Vernestra told Sol to take a small team on his mission. He only wanted Yord, not the apprentice.
What other apprentice? The female that was with Yord when they went to get Osha?
The Porkchop Express
AG
redline248 said:

LB12Diamond said:

What other apprentice? The female that was with Yord when they went to get Osha?
Yes, the one that was with Yord on the Nimoudian ship.
redline248
AG

redline248 said:

LB12Diamond said:

Yes, the one that was with Yord on the Nimoudian ship.
I thought they were just both Knights, but I don't remember the dialogue. I guess after 2 years since being a knight could get a padawan.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

So according to Wookieepedia, Darth Plagueis was born between 147 and 120 BBY.

The setting of this show is 100 years before TPM (32 BBY), making it roughly 132 BBY. (Plagueis would be at max, 15 years old.)

What are the chances either Mae or her master ends up being either Plagueis' master? Honestly I just hope it's not Mae, cause I don't know if I'll buy that.

I'd be ok with a twist that a teen Plagueis is actually behind the mask though.
Plagueis has a master named Darth Tenebrous who is a Bith. Plagueis kills him in the first chapter of the Darth Plagueis novel by burying him in a mine.

The toughest part about it being Plageuis is that his species is physically huge. His head would be hard to fit in the helmet that we see on the show.

I would love it to be Plageuis or Tenebrous under that mask because their stories are great, and at least Plageuis is canon from ROTS.

Spilner, let me ask your opinion on something. We know the show's director loves the prequels. I feel like Yord's behavior so far is a bit of an homage to Anakin in the first half of Attack of the Clones. Like he's pretty stiff in terms of wanting to be Mr. Serious face Jedi all the time. He's really effective and means well, but is still stumbling over his own feet. Just his mannerisms and the way he carries himself really struck a note with me. Be interested to hear your thoughts.
Ag Since 83
AG
I agree with TCTTS in that the show is largely fine, but wow, prequel era and before Jedi are so uninteresting. But there's enough there to possibly be a good Star Wars show, so I'll keep watching to see where it goes.

The part I was most intrigued by was when Osha was working on the TF ship, and thought it would be interesting to follow her and her friend on whatever adventures they have, so of course she gets taken off the ship and arrested within 5 minutes.

I generally find the "it's a twin you didn't know the character had" twist a lazy cheat, so at least they got it out of the way quickly rather than drag it out.
redline248
AG
You didn't ask me, but that might be a level of detail too great for me to expect from anyone except maybe Filoni.

Also, Plagueis is canon, but how much of his novel is? I haven't tried keeping up with that stuff in a long time.
oragator
The temple full of jedis couldn't sense a malevolent force there, even when an unknown face walked right past them? Some Jedis they were.
And Sol used his Jedi mind powers on everyone but who they were investigating. So that's odd.

But honestly, beyond that stuff, when I said "meh" above, it was largely based on expectations. I was hoping this was a dark mystery version of Andor, that advanced the franchise into something more mature and for adults. But so far it's another SW cookie cutter series, just set earlier. Nothing new or interesting so far to advance the cannon really, plus things like what is above. More of the same.

The Collective
AG
I couldn't get into it… something inside of me kept feeling like I was watching a Star Trek tv series. Could be some of the alien design or cinematography. Can't fully put my finger on it.
Red Five
AG
I thought Yord just seemed like a young Jedi Knight who is trying hard to impress the masters and make a name for himself. In that sense it would be comparable to some of how we see Anakin portrayed. I don't know that I feel like there is any specific homage there though.

We see 4 Jedi in action in the first 2 episodes. The three masters don't pull their lightsabers at all, except for Indara once she has been sufficiently threatened by Mae. Yord pulls his lightsaber quickly in just about every scenario, even defensively in the cave on Carlac in case they are attacked.

I think it just speaks to his youth.
Thunderstruck xx
[You already made your thoughts known on the twin topic. Please only post new thoughts on the show and keep them aligned with ongoing thread discussion itself. Repeating your same criticisms is hyper-negativity and will lead to deletions and time-off for you on this thread. Being critical of elements of episodes as they are aired is in-bounds. Repeating your same critiques over and over, out of bounds. This includes your running updates on RT score. Users know where to find that, you don't need to post updates. Everyone gets it. You don't like the show. Now move forward. Thanks. -Staff]
redline248
AG
I almost posted about this last night. I had a similar observation during a couple episodes of Boba Fett. The sets seem small. Like Olega, they show a pan of a big city, then it feels like there are only 2 streets. The inside of that local Temple felt claustrophobic.

By the way, why was the local Jedi taking Sol the long way around to see Tobin when there was a quicker way for Osha to go?
Cliff.Booth
I start each of these SW series hoping maybe despite who is making them they might be good, by some miracle. More of the same.
The Porkchop Express
AG
redline248 said:

You didn't ask me, but that might be a level of detail too great for me to expect from anyone except maybe Filoni.

Also, Plagueis is canon, but how much of his novel is? I haven't tried keeping up with that stuff in a long time.
I was thinking that as I typed it. About the novel. Wookipedia calls it half canon, so that means open season for Plageuis to be anyone and anything and the only part of his story that matters is what Palpatine tells Aankain about killing him in his sleep and the ability to cheat death.

I'm probably over analyzing it, but I really feel the show is doing a great job showing the JEdi's hyprocrisy. They're already neck deep in the assumptions and bad choices that cause their downfall.
redline248
AG
Quote:

I'm probably over analyzing it, but I really feel the show is doing a great job showing the JEdi's hyprocrisy. They're already neck deep in the assumptions and bad choices that cause their downfall.
I don't know if you're overanalyzing it, but it's probably just more obvious to nerds like us. Caring more about optics and politics than just bottom line truth/justice is definitely there. I'm really curious about the Venestra character, and how similar/different she is in printed media. Of which I've read none
The Porkchop Express
AG
redline248 said:

Quote:

I don't know if you're overanalyzing it, but it's probably just more obvious to nerds like us. Caring more about optics and politics than just bottom line truth/justice is definitely there. I'm really curious about the Venestra character, and how similar/different she is in printed media. Of which I've read none
Well for one thing Vernestra is a teenager in the High Republic and now more than 100 years old, so the real question is how did she turn from this capricious, anti-violence, Jedi wanderer into basically a by-the-book administrator? We know she busts out the light whip later on, but right now she's the poster child from the Jedi Malaise.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I honestly didn't see much connection between him and Anakin tbh, other than the fact that he was a newly knighted Jedi Knight. There might be more of that as the series progresses though, for sure.
Velvet Jones
AG
Jedi is both singular and plural.

Carry on.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
redline248 said:

Quote:

I think this will probably be the main thesis of the series.

And with the stories we've seen about younger Dooku, he becomes more and more sympathetic in his views of the Jedi by the time of the Clone Wars.
thenational
AG
Disney is lost. This show is awful..
rynning
AG
Red Five said:

I thought Yord just seemed like a young Jedi Knight who is trying hard to impress the masters and make a name for himself. In that sense it would be comparable to some of how we see Anakin portrayed. I don't know that I feel like there is any specific homage there though.

We see 4 Jedi in action in the first 2 episodes. The three masters don't pull their lightsabers at all, except for Indara once she has been sufficiently threatened by Mae. Yord pulls his lightsaber quickly in just about every scenario, even defensively in the cave on Carlac in case they are attacked.

After Mae says, "A Jedi doesn't pull her weapon unless prepared to kill," I was surprised a lot of light sabers pulled so quickly, to the point where I wondered if Yord pulled his in the cave just so everyone could see a little better.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Hey TPE, since I know you like reactions and prefer to stay on the positive side of things, this is a channel with a ton of SW reactions that you'd probably enjoy.

Usually watches with one or both of his kids (or his non-fan wife) and is a massive nerd who follows all the animated series and EU just like you.

PatAg
AG
Red Five said:

Or really any younger person that gets a promotion. You are still unsure of yourself, you have an idea of what you are supposed to act like. You arent comfortable enough yet to relax like a "master" or someone more senior would be.
MASAXET
AG
I've really enjoyed it so far. Not the greatest cinema ever made, objectively speaking. But still overall good and enjoyable to me.
Madmarttigan
AG
I must have missed the two mothers part but of course even if mentioned in passing heads will explode
captkirk
AG
Another nail in the Star Wars coffin. Disney must like setting money on fire.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I honestly didn't see much connection between him and Anakin tbh, other than the fact that he was a newly knighted Jedi Knight. There might be more of that as the series progresses though, for sure.
I think I just meant the way he carries himself. Like he's really trying to be the model Jedi in the situations he's in. Maybe I'm jsut seeing things.
bluefire579
AG
Watched it this morning, found it mostly enjoyable so far. Fight scenes were great, definitely felt fresh for what we typically get in Star Wars. Lee Jung-jae has been great so far, and Manny Jacinto definitely brought a bit of levity to the whole thing, though I wouldn't be surprised if there's something a bit darker with him.

Certainly agree with some of the criticisms...kind of stilted dialogue (I think prequel Jedi have leaned too much into being Buddhist like or something along those lines) and the abrupt ending of the episodes were felt while I was watching. I do, however, want to give the benefit of the doubt to some of those inconsistencies that people are pointing out, because they feel to me like they could be intentional, something to establish Jedi as not necessarily on the same page, or representing what people think of them, and set the stage for future conflict. Or it could be bad writing, certainly not ruling that out. Time will tell.

And of course, I knew the moment I heard the mothers line that the trolls would be out in full force. Texags never disappoints in that regard.
BadMoonRisin
AG
[OP of the threads are allowed to frame the discussion of the thread. That is not an invitation to do the exact opposite of how the OP has framed the discussion. If a users wants to have a different type of discussion about this show, they are welcome to create that thread and frame the discussion how they like. That is generally how user created thread discussions work. -Staff]
The Porkchop Express
AG
Red Five said:

I definitely got the vibe that most of them have never had to actually use a lightsaber in a fight against someone who would not be subdued in a manner of seconds. Yord is like most of us, he's igniting that thing for any reason.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Madmarttigan said:

I must have missed the two mothers part but of course even if mentioned in passing heads will explode
You missed it because it wasn't in there.
justnobody79

Madmarttigan said:

??????

unless you watched a different version than me they were talking about Osha's childhood and how she lost her entire family and they specifically mentioned "both her mothers" or "her two mothers"
The Porkchop Express
AG
justnobody79 said:

Madmarttigan said:

??????

unless you watched a different version than me they were talking about Osha's childhood and how she lost her entire family and they specifically mentioned "both her mothers" or "her two mothers"
I'll have to go back and check when I rewatch it. There is the possibility that it's not exactly a parental thing though. Mother Talzin is the head of the Nightsisters, but she's not every person's mother.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.